While waiting for GRAW2: S.T.A.L.K.E.R

MadMike

Dear all,

While waiting for GRAW 2, I am playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R at the moment and absolutely loving it. It has just about everything that I like in a game of this genre.

Now, I am one of those guys who is still hoping once again to experience an open landscape tactical shooter like GR1 :)

So while playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R, it struck me w00t How nice would it be to use this graphics engine in a Ghost Recon setting!

:kewlpics: Some examples:

link to large image

link to large image

link to large image

I think the graphics in S.T.A.L.K.E.R is absolutely awesome. The day/night cycle is really great and adds tons of atmosphere in the game. If this cycle could be fully integrated in the tactical gameplay, it could be very very interesting.

So close your eyes for a second and try to imagine Ghost Recon running on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R X-Ray engine :drool:

I think that would be totally awesome! What do you think?

:) Mike

MODERATOR EDIT: Large images changed to links per the forum rules.

Edited by ZJJ

I think the engine is outdated, but still looks nice. I think a tac shooter would look better on the Crytek 2 or Doom 3 engines, but that's just me :)

I've heard many great things about this game, I think I'll have to check it out soon.

Please. I brought this as another stop game for Graw2, sp doesnt do it for me but its ok, MP though sucks so glitchy and once a server gets a few people in your doomed, its poorly made and unplayable, they have patched it and i thought great lets try it but no joy its still the same, long loading times ect ect. My comp is high spec as well so i know its not that. Overall a poor substitute.

Edited by JJUK

I tried SP briefly and it seemed a lot like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, only with a post-apocalyptic theme. It seemed fairly well done to me though the controls were a bit clumsy.

Haven't really tried MP, but a few people I know played MP (LAN) for a couple of hours. They generally found it to be good fun though nothing special you don't get in other shooters.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Folks, this is NOT a discussion of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R game!

Its a mind-experiment to try to imagine how great Ghost Recon could be with this kind of graphics/open landscape/environment/day-night-cyclus etc:

"So close your eyes for a second and try to imagine Ghost Recon running on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R X-Ray engine"

Its a mind-experiment to try to imagine how great Ghost Recon could be with this kind of graphics/open landscape/environment/day-night-cyclus etc:

"So close your eyes for a second and try to imagine Ghost Recon running on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R X-Ray engine"

Thats the point you cant because trying to play mp for more than 5 mins does your head in, i tried to raise my own server in game and when i spawned yes the graphics and rain and thunder and lightning are real good but more hours of play are needed to see if the maps are good enough ect ect.

We already have one of these, it's called ARMA.

I can see where the op is coming from, some great open maps / levels in stalker, i enjoy the battles at the military outpost in cordon. Stalker game is like many games rolled into one.

I downloaded the annoying_audio_fix_ 1.1 from filefront, whoever did it did a good job if ya ask me, i prefer what the sound modder has done with the footsteps, they are a bit more solid sounding.

1.1 updates

Fixed military outpost commander on megaphone.

Added bullet near miss sound effects.

Opening and closing inventory sound effects.

New footstep sound effects.

New SVD shooting sound effect.

Dead body collision sound effects.

Changed title theme.

Remove unused weapon.ltx files.

Sheldon_as: We already have one of these, it's called ARMA.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. IMO ARMA has NO atmosphere whatsoever. Its almost clinical in its lack of atmosphere.

Stalker has TONS of atmosphere which would suit a future Ghost Recon game very well.

Some of my alltime favourite SP/COOP maps were the forest maps in GR1. I still get goosebumps when I think back of these maps. The tension of knowing that one hit will kill you, the nighttime setting, the shining moon, the swaying trees which makes everything look like a moving enemy, the sound of the wind, the owl and the creeking trees. All this made these forest maps in GR1 the most atmospheric tactical shooter game world I have ever experienced until now with Stalker.

And this is why I cannot help myself thinking that something equivalent to the Stalker engine would suit Ghost Recon so much if we were to return to the big open outdoor atmospheric landscapes that we used to know.

Edited by MadMike

I thought those wild mutant hyena type crazy rabid dogs are great ..turn up the bass and listen to those growls.

There's a level in the game where you have to make your way to the antennae (spelling?) ..as you make your way across the area with large bolders / rocks (there is a downed military helicopter in that area) ...these mad dogs come at ya from everywhere. I think also for me the extra immersion comes from the fact i have been attacked / chased by pitbull terriors & african ridgebacks and alsations in the past ..raised my fear levels ..lol.

as you move along that ground you suddenly have the feeling of hallucinations , not too sure if it's caused by the crazed dog like creatures scratching at ya (maybe called pseudodogs?) ..anyway ..sent shivers down my spine, but it's best played loud and up the bass. I also think the music in game has some great bass fx ..very low and some great vibe i thought.