Anti-aliasing. i'm gonna go there

First of all, I know GRAW pc cannot have AA due to the deferred lighting. I get it and I'm not trying to say GRAW1 needs to be fixed for it. However, GR:AW 2 I think should definately have the ability to use AA. The current lighting system is very cool with the whole light to dark transition, but it's not as cool as having smoother lines for a more scenic experience. Not to mention it can be a huge drag to try to identify movement at a distance. If deferred lighting had to be dropped to make AA work, then that's what would need to happen. The jagged lines take much more away from the game than the lighting adds to it, imo.

anyone else care to weigh in?

Maybe it is possible to built in an option to turn the graphic-features off that decline turning AA on. So the AA-fan can at least choose to have AA or the features enabled. Would be something kind of useful. Anywho I don't know jack about coding and programming, so I don't even know if this would be possible. :P

This is an old debate, but one I'll always put my 2 cents in :thumbsup:

For me, I like AA and if a game doesn't offer it, I'll try and force it through Nvidia control panel, and if that doesn't work I get a bit mad and start increasing the screen res. to try and get rid of the jaggies. :wacko:

I read that R6 Vegas doesn't support AA so this is a subject that ain't going away.... :wall:

SCDA actually looks worse than the two previous installments that way. It wasn't until I installed that game and started playing it that I realized just how much AA adds to a game. It's like a giant step BACKWARD in the evolution of video games, to where I find myself counting how many pixels thick each line is that terminates in a sharp corner rather than a smooth edge...

Hell with the deferred lighting, we need AA...

• 3 weeks later...

While I do not like the jaggies and think the game would certainly be better with AA I must say that as I have played it I have begun to overlook the problem. The thing is - the game play is so damned tough and exciting that you do forget about it to some extent. For me this game while not perfect is a keeper.

But I am an eye candy man and would much prefer to have it for those moments when you just want to admire the environment - and I think it adds to the immersion. I will not add to the chorus of derision for this game (not that this is what the original poster is doing - just that there are many much more negative posts on various Boards) In its own way GRAW is every bit as captivating as the original GR but with updated effects etc and its a little shame they could not use what after all has been standard technology now for years - AA. (If I have a grumble it is the architecture which makes modding the game very complex although do able. I much prefer games which are moddable as they maintain their interest much longer and in the end probbaly sell more copies - although I suppose its more profitable to churn out another title and sell that at full price so that is what many studios do.)

Also as someone else said (here or elsewhere I cannot recall) the shimmering caused by the jaggies sometimes makes it hard to see tangoes at a distance. So I get myself killed more.

Edited by pistolpete

Precisely. At close range I don't really care about the 'jaggies.' It's at a distance, where objects are only a couple dozen pixels in size, that still having pixel jaggies makes a BIG difference. And gameplay often depends greatly on being able to identify and sometimes engage an enemy at great range (well, up to 147 meters anyhow). If the draw distance on GRAW weren't as short as it is, this might be a much bigger problem for us.

SCDA keeps most targets to pistol range, and I don't think I've yet seen a target or object of importance at more than 100 meters in that title. When long-range engagtements become important again (well, IF they do that is), AA will really start to stand out as an important issue that can contribute to a game's success or failure. Someone needs to figure out how to make their game play well on a relatively affordable modern PC with AA enabled quickly, or it will just contribute to the console takeover.