Community Banlist software released!

CkZWarlord

Today we (TOW-Angel and myself) have finally released the community banlist updater for GR:AW. What this program does, for those of you who are not yet familiar with it's functioning, is automatically update (this can be set to manual though, read the included helpfile) your GR:AW server with the latest list of banned cheaters.

We have absolutely no influence on who is put on the banlist, this is decided by people who know what they are talking about when it comes to spotting cheaters.

Here is the best bit: the software is absolutely FREE! and can also be freely re-distributed!

Should you have any questions about the software please contact me by PM or in this particular thread (I prefer a PM though).

You can download the CWCon Community Banlist Updater currently from these sites:

- Warlord's Tools

- Titans of War

Please make sure you have read both the terms and the helpfile before asking me any questions.

I hope that you all are willing to participate in this project and hope you will appreciate the effort put into it!

Kind regards,

Warlord

Edited by CkZWarlord

Am I the only one that thinks the release of the software is premature?

We have no tools and no way of verifying actual cheaters. Currently the only people who will be on the list are griefers for one server or another. These types of bans should NEVER be on a community ban list and should be local only.

I think what you have done developing the infrastructure for a GRAW anti-cheat community is great. But currently we have no tools for detecting or verifying cheaters. I don't see how this is going to benefit the community as a whole at this point. Once the AC tools for detection and verification are given to us by GRIN then this tool can be used, but before then I don't see how it's going to help. I see it as only hurting innocent players who were not cheating being labled as cheaters.

It does not run as a service on Windows Server 2003, so once you log off Terminal Services, it's shut down.

Also, since it requires a restart of GRAW I suggest the program triggers a restart of GRAW on auto updates.

Also, how about a bit of info on how it gathers this list, who sends the offender to the list?

The list is maintained by admins from RA and ACC who will decide who goes on the general banlist. Anyone can submit a potential banee (new word? i like it lol) through me, TOW-Angel or the above mentioned teams websites/forums.

THERE IS NO AUTOMATIC ADDING TO THE BANLIST DUE TO THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

A: The provided anti-cheat is not up to scratch as it boots/bans people for bs reasons.

B: People cannot be trusted (one person disliking another should NOT be a reason to end up on the list), which is why we wanted teams to review available information.

I have opted to not run it as a service as I can image that there will not be a lot of hosting companies who would accept that (I know that TAGaming's hosting service doesn't and I am sure that many others will not like it either). It can however be hidden to run in the system tray (see the helpfile on that). It shouldn't shut down when you use a tool as Radmin (http://www.radmin.com) to run it from the same account GR:AW is running, I thought this was a pretty obvious thing to do but apperantly I was mistaken there so my humble apologies for that.

Although my personal opinion is that it has been released too early as there is no way to truly say wether or not someone was cheating as FlimFlam justifiably points out (besides witness reports, screenshots and all that stuff for as far as you can trust those), there is nothing wrong with getting things in place.

Having to reboot: this is not because of the way the program functions, it is due to the way the GR:AW functions. GR:AW appears to load the banlist only when the server is first booted up, hence you need to reboot it to have the updated banlist loaded. It cannot be helped from my side.

Edited by CkZWarlord

Am I the only one that thinks the release of the software is premature?

We have no tools and no way of verifying actual cheaters. Currently the only people who will be on the list are griefers for one server or another. These types of bans should NEVER be on a community ban list and should be local only.

I think what you have done developing the infrastructure for a GRAW anti-cheat community is great. But currently we have no tools for detecting or verifying cheaters. I don't see how this is going to benefit the community as a whole at this point. Once the AC tools for detection and verification are given to us by GRIN then this tool can be used, but before then I don't see how it's going to help. I see it as only hurting innocent players who were not cheating being labled as cheaters.

I'm with him^^^^^^

Not that I hadn't already made that clear, but I suppose it never hurts to reiterate one's point. APPLAUSE nonetheless to CKZWarlord on taking a little initiative and getting things in place. But yeah, premature. For now...

The list is maintained by admins from RA and ACC

Who from the ACC is doing this ? :huh: Ive seen no posts on any of the two closed ACC forums regarding this matter.

Tow Angel Pm´ed me about it but as i explained to him the SRS (we have the main public AC Forums for the ACC) doesnt play GRAW. If this is being used by us (ACC) then the public side of the banning would be opened up on our forums, yet i know of nothing.

I have spoke with tow-angle a few times about RA helping with this. We are having a meeting on the 28th to discuss how to set up our side of things in order to start with this. We have opened a forums for GRAW. Thats all I have done at RA to this point.

The list is maintained by admins from RA and ACC

Who from the ACC is doing this ? :huh: Ive seen no posts on any of the two closed ACC forums regarding this matter.

Tow Angel Pm´ed me about it but as i explained to him the SRS (we have the main public AC Forums for the ACC) doesnt play GRAW. If this is being used by us (ACC) then the public side of the banning would be opened up on our forums, yet i know of nothing.

I was told RA and ACC were going to do this, but it turns out ACC isn't going to support it. Unfortunately I was misinformed on the ACC part.

We will support it if asked apon to do so. We was asked to contribute to the banlists which we cannot as no ACC Members run GRAW. Tell me if you guys require a special public forum along side of the RA one and we will give you just that including mod powers too persons that require it. Rugg has made you a closed forum already in the ACC Main setup.