Auto-download feature?

With all these new maps and mods coming out, which is awesome by the way, is there any plan to incorporate any kind of autodownload feature? It's not a huge deal to visit a site and download a map, but for those people who don't know where to go or how to install the maps it'd be a great feature. It'd allow computer illiterate people to join any server they want and have gg's on custom maps without having to figure things out, and it would keep servers full! I've played on a couple servers that use custom maps but as soon as it switch from a regular map to a custom one the player number dropped severely. Auto-download would probably fix this.

With all these new maps and mods coming out, which is awesome by the way, is there any plan to incorporate any kind of autodownload feature? It's not a huge deal to visit a site and download a map, but for those people who don't know where to go or how to install the maps it'd be a great feature. It'd allow computer illiterate people to join any server they want and have gg's on custom maps without having to figure things out, and it would keep servers full! I've played on a couple servers that use custom maps but as soon as it switch from a regular map to a custom one the player number dropped severely. Auto-download would probably fix this.

Great idea - and for all of the reasons stated. I've played a few games with this feature (RvS, Tribes:Vengeance immediately spring to mind). How hard can it be?

Edited by OliverReed

There's a racing game that has a novel auto download feature that is pretty clever. Rather than have the server resources and bandwidth used to download files to client players, the server admin can specify (in the game config) an alternative download link on a different domain than the game, for client machines to grab the download from.

Obviously the server admin has to make sure the files are stored on a reliable server somewhere, but it does free up the game server to concentrate on the game.

I would love to see this feature. The only thing that scares me is like in CoD2, where when you go onto a modded server and the Clan puts extra files in there to promote their server. So whnever you join a server, no matter who's server it is, it comes with their info, and and graphics to show off their clan. Not needed.

Auto download.... yes pretty please nice Grin peeps.. :santa: mb b4 Christmas :P

Also consider "redirection" system a-la Unreal Tournament 2k where as Rocky mentions you can download maps from a high bandwidth web server, reducing network load on the game server.

BA