BLURRY?

I havnt played graw much since i bought it due to the lack of Anti-Aliasing (I cant stand jaggies, they hurt my eyes :S) so when i started up graw today with the added anti aliasing feature it made my screen go all blurry plus most of the jaggies are still there W.T.F????

so is this the choice we have?

a/ a screen full of jagged edges that shimmer everytime you move the mouse, man it looks horrible >:(

or

b/ a blurry screen with some sort of fake anti-aliasing that doesnt even really remove the jaggies

i mean W.T.F is with that? it looks terrible either way

we need true anti-aliasing support, i dont care about the diffused lighting or whatever , WE NEED REAL AA!!

Edited by whc.demo

Here is the solution... Get a better video card. Jaggys and blurriness both go away (almost completely) when you hit 1280X 1024. I'm borderline with a 6800GS so as things get optimized i am thinking i can run at that res and get the benifits above 25fps. Until then hold out and as the game gets optimized it will get better. 2 patches ago at 1280 i would get 15fps so it's almost to the point mid cards can use it.

You don't remember in GR1 when you had to run at low settings and it looked like crap do you? As hardware improves and gets cheaper you in about 6 months will be saying i can't believe i complained about that.

i run my game in 1280x800, which is the native res of my screen so it would look the same as 1280x1024 just not as high...

i guess iv just been spoiled with games like DODS running in 1280x800 with 4xaa(real aa btw), it looks so nice and clean and crystal clear compared to graw that looks blurry and it still has jaggies, all theyve done with the blur is round the edges of the jaggies off , they havnt made say a diagonal line look like one straight line.

first screenie looks nice and clear but as you can see is full of jaggies everywhere that become more obviouse when you move ur mouse.

screenshot151lk.jpg

the second well the jaggies are slightly improved but they are still there, its nothing like having 4xaa in say hl2 or bf2.lol it looks like someone has smeared my screen with grease its so blurry

screenshot165bp.jpg

i dunno i just think iv been spoiled by all the eye candy in other games out atm.

or maybe i need to sit further away from my screen lol

Agreed Roco. When I firts bought the game, I had a horrible PC. I was forced to play at 800x600 at medium settings, just so the fps would be in the playable range. But the main part was the jaggies. They were everywhere.

I started using some tweaked drivers and started playing at 1024x768 and the jagggies were less noticeable. Now with my new PC Im running at 1280x1024 and eventhough the jaggies are there, they dont even bother me they are so minimal. Add edge smoothing to that, and it looks amazing.

Here is the solution... Get a better video card. Jaggys and blurriness both go away (almost completely) when you hit 1280X 1024. I'm borderline with a 6800GS so as things get optimized i am thinking i can run at that res and get the benifits above 25fps. Until then hold out and as the game gets optimized it will get better. 2 patches ago at 1280 i would get 15fps so it's almost to the point mid cards can use it.

You don't remember in GR1 when you had to run at low settings and it looked like crap do you? As hardware improves and gets cheaper you in about 6 months will be saying i can't believe i complained about that.

Well, sort of. I run an X800XT 512 and when I turn on the so-called AA edge smoothing, it does look a bit "soft" is the word I would use. This is at 900x1440. It's not really true AA. I turned it back off because I didn't like the look of it.

we need true anti-aliasing support, i dont care about the diffused lighting or whatever , WE NEED REAL AA!!

Hey look, another dead horse. Maybe I'll kick it once or twice myself.

This IS real AA it's just not the type you're used to. It has been stated again and again and again and again and again and again and again... MSAA IS NOT POSSIBLE. Stop asking for it. SSAA is so power draining that it is not practical. If you can only run the game at 1280x800 now then you'd literally get 5 frames a second at 800x600 with SSAA. Don't ask for that. This is all you are going to get because it is the ONLY (and just to repeat that again... THE ONLY) feasible option. Like it or don't, play it or don't, no amount of complaining is going to change that fact.

yep iv got the latest drivers and all that, post processing effects are set to low in those screenies btw

could i pls see a screenie from ur 6800gs in 1024x768, i dont know how 1024x768 could look better than 1280 x 800 :S

and i will complain about AA if i want to mr.TED SMITH, honestly when was the last time you played a competetive online game where there are lots of long distance shots without AA?? maybe back in the quake days??? but its 2006, AA is a must.

instead of trying to stick up for a company that makes these games for profit , yes you heard me they make these games for profit, why dont you try to get the game devs to make the game how its meant to be instead of just bending over and taking it.

there is more than just the lack of real AA that bothers me with this game, it has far too many flaws. It is so close to being the best game ever but i cant put my finger on why its not.

this game is so obviously designed for console it makes me cringe. >:(

soz but you have lost another graw player, lol the online count is down from 268 to 267 now.

i feel i have been short changed with this game, its only good for console.

im off to play dods cyas (you guys at UBI & GRIN should ring valve to get a few ideas about the finer points of online gaming)

Here is mine... 1024x768 post effects low. You will note they are far less jaggy then yours.

I took these screenshots because the van doors blew up really odd.

screenshot_1.jpg

and

screenshot_2.jpg

There must be something up with your card.

Also note... even my scope reflection seems clearer.

I'll see if i can get some 1280 tomorrow night as it's late now. With and without edge smoothing.

Are your textures on low? the ground in both pics looks smoothened... not grainy.

One other note... look at the water tower in your pic. Note the checkers... you are missing that texture in the game or your card is not rendering it. Modders can confirm this but i think that happened when a texture is missing.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

yer it does look like less jaggies in ur pic thanks for posting, and the checkered water tower hrmm can you pls take a screenie from the same location, i was in the very first level at checkpoint 5, that is basicly exactly where i spawned. oh and my textures are all set on medium except i have characters set to high in the xml, and 4xaf.

strange stuff :S

i wonder what could make the jaggies more noticable??

oh and i have a question, apparently super sampling AA is the only form of AA that will work with deffered lighting (although from what i understand it would be a very large performance hit), so im wondering if it is possible to force SSAA from the vid card options?? I own an ATI card and im unsure of what the equivlent for super sampling is, adaptive and temporal aa are the only ATI aa options. could you pls try SSAA on ur vid card just to satisfy my curiosity, thanks

:)

yer im a mp player too, but i play competition dods & cod

unfortunatly in australia there are no graw servers that i can find with a decent ping so pretty much i have the occasional game of coop with a m8 or just play sp when im bored.

i would like to play graw online but there just isnt a community for it down here.

anyway the spot where that screenie is taken is in the first level about a 100m walk from ur checkpoint 2 ;)