GRAW Shutting PC DOWN COMPLETELY

I just purchased an Sapphire ATI x1800xt 512mb video card and a AMD 4200 64 x2 processor. I put the puppies in and did a complete reload of my computer. I have tried numerous video drivers but get the same result every time...

When I start up GRAW, I get to the menu and then 2 seconds later...BOOM...like someone just turned my computer off...

If I leave the game alt-tabbed out during the game's startup, I am fine. But as soon as I alt-tab back in...it happens again...

Everything else runs fine...it is just GRAW that is causing the problem.

ANY IDEAS would be greatly appreciated...thanks...

-=ATU=-HVYHTTR

Edited by hvyhttr

I have talked to cutter a little on this issue. do you have the power connector into the video card and you don't have a fan only connector in it do you? Fan only is as it says only for fans. Some power supplys have them.

What model mainboard do you have? Do you have another video card you could try as a test in BF2 (since it has lower specs) One of our members had something similar. He didn't have the video card power plug plugged in.. then he plugged the fan only in... it fried the card. Make sure it's a 4 wire connector... fan only is 2 although it's end is the same as a standard cdrom/hdd power molex connector. His issue was in BF2 before GRAW was released. XFX replaced his 6600GT under warranty.

I have talked to cutter a little on this issue. do you have the power connector into the video card and you don't have a fan only connector in it do you? Fan only is as it says only for fans. Some power supplys have them.

What model mainboard do you have? Do you have another video card you could try as a test in BF2 (since it has lower specs) One of our members had something similar. He didn't have the video card power plug plugged in.. then he plugged the fan only in... it fried the card. Make sure it's a 4 wire connector... fan only is 2 although it's end is the same as a standard cdrom/hdd power molex connector. His issue was in BF2 before GRAW was released. XFX replaced his 6600GT under warranty.

I am using an ASUS A8N-SLI. I have the six pin PCI-E connector connected to the video card. The only thing I did out of the usual on this one is use a molex to 12v/4 pin converter to connect to the motherboard. The one supplied by the PS was not long enough...

Updating the bios seems to help some... seems like a common problem with this chipset...

note the posts toward the end.

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t20736.html

Also there is a cpu driver here..

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t50864.html

amd bios's can be fun sometimes (sarcastic) as it all depends on the chipset and how fast they rushed it out the door.

Try setting your system not to automatically restart then you should get a blue screen with an error code highlighting what the problem is, graphics drivers, memory etc. The stop code is not always accurate but it might help:)

Right click my computer>properties>advanced>start up & recovery settings>untick automatically restart.

Edited by DoubleArd

Bro, provide your hardware info.

ASUS A8N-SLI

AMD 64 x2 4200

1 GB 3200 Corsair RAM

74 GB SATA WD Raptor HD

Sapphire ATI x1800xt 512 MB Video Card

Xfinity 600 Watt PS

Replaced the power supply and all seems to be working. Must have had a bad rail..

LOL That was the 1st thing i suggested on comms... but when you said it was a new thermal take i dismissed it. Glad it's fixed, bet it runs SWEET now!

Ya it was, thanks for the suggestions. He said it is so much better thatn his old set up.