Question for GRIN

"We began working on GRAW in mid January 2005 - that's 14 months, in other words insane. Also, we started out with little more than 20 employees, and doubled that number during the development GRAW - and we're still just 1/5 the size of the 360 dev team."

That is just plain REDICULOUS.....my hat goes off to GRIN in this situation. But depressingly shows the lack of care UBI has for PC fans by giving the development team not even half the resources their console counterparts recieved.

Looking at that information, I'm impressed with how well GRAW turned out....well done GRIN, but get that mutiplayer going (ie. dedicated servers, DROP gamespy, more people in COOP, take away mission failed if team leader dies, more modes per MP mode).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of my opinions about the game being unfinished or whatnot, the sound in GRAW is the best I've heard in any game...ever. You got it right bro. Right down to the crickets chirping in my ear when I'm scoped with the sniper rifle. :g_guns: Thanx again Desmond and GRIN for all your hard work.

I believe if it was not for the deadlines we would have got even a better game, I am glad that will still happen though.

Agreed. 14 months is "insane" as Desmond said. Could you imagine the complaining if they said give us another year to finish the game? Im glad I get to play with this game as is now instead of waiting for a another 6 months to a year for a finished product. Atleast this way we as a community can help the game grow over time with the Devs, instead of fighting them on a finished product that would be hard to change after the fact.

Great job so far, and looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

Yeah the June patch can come on June 30th for all I care, long as it fixes the problems, improves performance, and adds/removes wanted/unwated features to the game.

I hope not ! I have a games night planned 27th on LAN & WAN and GRAW it TOP of the list.

:thumbsup::)

Maybe Grin should lay the facts down as to what is possible to be patched and what is not, that may help some of us here who arent game developers be put in the right direction and stop asking the stupid questions like can i get AA working in the game or will there be a patch for it!

Maybe be a list of the things GRIN hope to include or fix in the next patch release might help.

Anyway thanks for the time given.....especially as its Saturday.

We don't want to say what's in the patch because if something unexpected comes up that makes that fix impossible, the whining about that one thing will never end. viiiper said some good things on this subject. We'd rather do the opposite, and say we will not add things, and then surprise you by doing so anyway... Santa has some real goodies in his sack and he's coming early this year... :santa:

However, needless to say, bugs/bad choices by us that everybody has problems with and causes lots of frustration of course are the highest priority: only server can be team leader, if team leader dies game over, prone/aim bug, not enough effect when hit by bullet, etc.

Just to help you cope with reality when the upcoming patches finally arrive, I beg you to stop expecting brand new features such as climbing-over-obstacles ability (which would, amongst other things, profoundly change the "flow" of existing maps) and indoor environments (which is not even a patch issue, but rather something you could whish for in a sequel or maybe an expansion pack). Some of the requests are obviously from people who have no idea of how much work it would take to add the requested feature into the game.

Civilians and stray cats/dogs will not be patched - get a grip - such things are avoided from the get go when doing this kind of games, to be able to give more juice into the important AI (teammates and enemies), as well as securing a broad customer group through rating. Maybe modders can add these things, together with more blood effects/sounds that some seem to crave for.

Some of you are probably thinking "No new features? Does that mean no new MP modes?", while tears build up in your eyes. Well I can calm you down by saying that adding new MP modes is more like applying new rules to an existing feature - so it's not hopeless. :shifty:

One of our most important tasks, though, is to assure that the game is moddable - then you can start pestering the modders instead, with your never-ending requests for new features. :lol: In Utopia, everybody will have a version of GRAW that they think is just as it should be. Modders will lead the way to Utopia... :charge:

@DisgruntledArchitect

@PONDLIFE

@RLCSeMPeRFi

Thanks for the comments on the sound! Warms my heart. :)

@Desmond, I just wanted to thank you for the feedback and information. I know that we (most of Alpha Squad and the co-op community in general) do see a huge ammount of potential in what you have delivered already. I think we are all just chaffing at the bit to get our hands on modding tools and a few fixes so that we can head off toward teh one true Utopia (ok.. Our very own private small Utopia) :)

Anyway, I'm glad that the whinners have not driven all of Grin away, and I know that I am looking forward to the patch and a bright future of developing highly non-linear dynamic co-op missions.

:g_withgrin:

Dear Grin,

I have been playing without regards to health, happiness, or my wife since the demo came out.

The game is a classic on my hardrive already. No need to get a patch to know this. only 3 or 4 games since doom emerged on the PC can say that. This is certainly one. Sure there are a few issues I would love to see addressed. But I can tell you that no patch or bug fix can deter from the fact that true SUSPENSEFUL GAMEPLAY has been created here. Few can claim it in their games. You guys have bottled suspense. I experience a full range of emotions from fear to suspense to great relief in the single player and coop games. Bravo Grin.

Domination is turning out to be a real sleeper too (thats a compliment ....). At first, I saw the anti "buy guns" posts etc and thought that you guys had made some hoakie mode. Then i read how you guys were proud of Domination in particular. So i looked into the discrepency. Now that I have played it a while, I can see the delicate game balancing choices associated with that mode. very cogent and well designed. You guys should be proud of Domination. Although it has elements of otehr games in it, it is truly unique and balanced in an intriguing way. Although I will forever be a coop guy first.

Thanks for my newest classic. I'll look forward to your future work and keep my eyes on any products you guys put out. and oh yea. the sound in this game is superb. the grpahics and physics etc. also excellent. immersion and suspense says it all.

Sleepdoc

www.iBeta.com

I know its not important now..cause you guys are working hard on making this game great...but im just curious if you guys have anything penciled in to look at improving compatibility with the physx cards? I know..I know..its not important but just wondering if it will ever be looked at. I know you guys were the first to integrate it into a game and all so maybe in the future there might be room for improvement in that area?

In the time frame you guys had you did an outstanding job..two thumbs up! Thank you guys for all your hard work and dedication..

@Desmond, I just wanted to thank you for the feedback and information. I know that we (most of Alpha Squad and the co-op community in general) do see a huge ammount of potential in what you have delivered already. I think we are all just chaffing at the bit to get our hands on modding tools and a few fixes so that we can head off toward teh one true Utopia (ok.. Our very own private small Utopia) :)

Anyway, I'm glad that the whinners have not driven all of Grin away, and I know that I am looking forward to the patch and a bright future of developing highly non-linear dynamic co-op missions.

:g_withgrin:

Looking forward to that one.

Thanks Desmond for all the imput, we plan on wholeheartedly supporting GRAW on our gaming servers, we look forward to working with you guys.

You fellas did one heck of a job with GRAW, way to go guys, well done!

Edited by TGBonehead