new computer.

JTF-2

The only reason im posting this is because I think this third option is a little better than RooK's, and just a smidge cheaper. (Always good.)

Case: Raidmax 268, 2-tone - Black/Silver

CD/DVD ROM: Lite On 16x DVD ROM

CD-RW Burner: Lite On 52x24x52

Fans: 5x 80x80x25, 1x 60x60x25

Floppy: Sony 1.44MB

Hard Drive: 80GB Western Digital 7200 RPM with 8MB cache

Keyboard/Mouse: Aopen KB-930 Wireless

RAM: Corsair 2x 256MB PC 2100 DDR RAM

Monitor: Viewsonic 17" CRT Flat Screen

Motherboard: Epox EP-8RDA+, 333Mhz FSB, nForce2 chipset, holds 3 gigs of DDR RAM, one 8x AGP slot, 6x PCI slots

PSU: Antec True 430Watt

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 333 FSB

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 5200

Video Cards: PNY Verto GeForce FX 5800 Ultra 128MB RAM, 8x AGP, VGA and DVI plus TV-out

Grand total: $1,445 USA. Whats that in Canadian?

You can see RooK and myself think the same for most of the hardware pieces, with some minor differences. He likes Radeon, I like nVidia. I think the 5800 Ultra is a step up from a 9700 Pro, but that can be argued over in a new topic. I also thought having a sound card the better option, not to mention having six case fans wont be a bad idea with that beefy processor.

Edited by Crimson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, Thanks Crimson! :D

i'll add that to the list to take to the comp store. man i'm gonna have those guys sweatn' and scrambling around to see if they can find all these bits. it's gonna be great...i can't wait to see thier faces :P:rocky: (understand that these are little hole-in-the-wall type places)

PS, sorry guys but it looks like i won't be able to visit the stores this weekend. :( Many tests and much homework to do, school comes before fun et tout :angry:

Crimson, if you get the Epox 8RDA+, getting a sound card is a waste. The board has Nforce2's Nstorm 5.1 digital audio built in, and it uses less cpu than an Audigy. You're actually downgrading by going to an Audigy.

As to the ram, getting PC2100 for that board/cpu combo isn't possible. You must at least get PC2700. The cpu is running 166fsb, so you need the ram to match it. Also, it can make use of PC3200 or even PC3400 with its bios options.

He requested the Ati is why I gave it to him, but even out of personal preference I would still pick it. I say get a 9700Pro, or wait for thr 9800Pro. Nvidia may make good chipsets, but they've forgotten how to make a nice gfx card.

As to the OS, have it listed in my list. Funny how prices rise. I bought the exact same disk of WinXP Pro from the same vendor and payed $110.

Well this is basically over. Intel or AMD doesnt matter a whole lot. For the sake of not being pumelled into the ground by the million AMD fans that seem to be on this site. Just go with AMD. Though the Intel one is the only option in your budget. Oh well. Whatever you get have fun.

About nothing being supported above PC2100 on the boards. It is a newer tech to Intel boards and the manufacturers dont really "support" over it. But people have put in much higher. A guy has his with some PC3200 in it and he says it is stable so I think the mfrs are just covering their buts.

JTF2 Ill send you a pm about the OS.

Edited by Stinger

Stinger, putting higher rated ram in PC2100 mb is no use. Sure, it can use it, but will it be underclocking the ram to PC2100 specs? If so, those boards surely won't benchmark high due to low memory performance.