What are my chances of running GRAW?

@BigOlBrain: Whats your score on 3dMark05? :)

1171 with the default settings. :huh:

I'm sorry to say m8, but i highly doubt GRAW will run on your pc :(

Well I'll have to try the demo if they ever put one out. I'm sure it will run...I think it's a matter of how badly it will look.

Hehe, yes it will run, but i have my questions about the framerate ;) Good idea, only a demo can really tell you how it will run :yes:

Edited by Reb

I've got a related question you guys can hazzard a gues at. One of my GR buds is looking to upgrade his machine. At present he has a:

P4 2.8c

1 GB DDR400

9800XT

Originally, he wanted to add another GB of RAM and upgrade video card to "extend" the life of his rig a bit (and hold him over until he decides to build a new one). Now it seems he can only afford to add new RAM.

I was thinking he would get more milage if he could find a way to upgrade the video card instead...but I wanted to get your opinions before I turned around and mentioned it to him. Thoughts?

Windows needs a 'Gaming' setting...one button you can push that will reboot windows into a slimmed down mode and ONLY run what is needed for gaming...all other services and startup programs go bye bye...that would rock.

They use to have that. It was called DOS. I think it's called Xbox now. :ermm:

Seriously though, anyone remember trying to fit everything into 640k for the sound drivers and all that. Autoexec.bat and Config.sys

Your idea sounds like it would be smoking, probably get a good performance increase across the board if they had somthing like that.

is the 3dmark test s'posed to be real choppy on the second half? i got a 8712, i don't know what the best possible score is- i imagine 10000?

What 3dmark is it, 05 or 06?

05 record is over 20.000 and 06 should be around 15000.

that's really sad then because i need to be getting better scores than what i'm getting. i need one of those dial a geeks to come over and tune this machine :(

is the 3dmark test s'posed to be real choppy on the second half? i got a 8712, i don't know what the best possible score is- i imagine 10000?

that's really sad then because i need to be getting better scores than what i'm getting. i need one of those dial a geeks to come over and tune this machine :(

Well, the guys who manage scores that I posted usually run 2 supercooled (with LN2) cards which are clocked around 1ghz vid clock and 2ghz memory clock. They also supercool the CPUs and clock them around 4-5ghz (AMD).

Well, the guys who manage scores that I posted usually run 2 supercooled (with LN2) cards which are clocked around 1ghz vid clock and 2ghz memory clock. They also supercool the CPUs and clock them around 4-5ghz (AMD).

so are you saying i've got a decent score? (3dm05 btw)

You have a 1900XT and what CPU you again? The score seems pretty normal, make sure AF and AA are set to "application-controlled" and put the performance slider to "high performance" instead of "high quality". Most people who run benchmarks make that.

Is 1GB of RAM enough to run this game? I know they've done those studies that showed only a 1-2fps increase on other games, but with the big maps and all is GRAW going to be the first to actually use the whole 1GB?

1GB is recommended but I actually think 2GB will be a huge improvement if you have a video card that can handle the highest settings. Obviously if you have an older card that won´t run with the highest settings (mainly texture detail settings), then you won´t need more than 1GB anyway.

You have a 1900XT and what CPU you again? The score seems pretty normal, make sure AF and AA are set to "application-controlled" and put the performance slider to "high performance" instead of "high quality". Most people who run benchmarks make that.

pentium d 3.0 ghz, 2 gig of ddr2 pc5400

3dmark is sort of AMD bias, so if you had used a matching AMD you could add around 1000 points to your score. Don´t worry too much about 3dmark. Some people take it way too seriously, but in the end its a pretty pathetic synthetic benchmark. The only benchmarks that really matter are game benchmarks. ;)

Edited by agentkay

Windows needs a 'Gaming' setting...one button you can push that will reboot windows into a slimmed down mode and ONLY run what is needed for gaming...all other services and startup programs go bye bye...that would rock.

Yeah totally agree. Release the mem!

Hey mates, try this, it works brilliantly for me......TaskPower 2

Seems to be the popular "end it all" program.

Cheers!

Fresh

They use to have that. It was called DOS. I think it's called Xbox now. :ermm:

Seriously though, anyone remember trying to fit everything into 640k for the sound drivers and all that. Autoexec.bat and Config.sys

Your idea sounds like it would be smoking, probably get a good performance increase across the board if they had somthing like that.

I've been running a dual hardware profile in XP for years...one for normal computing, and one for gaming. I setup my profiles with instructions from this page and then I set my "gaming" profile up to only load critical services. Once setup, it's almost a "one-button" solution (I just have to choose the profile during bootup).

Black Viper had a great page out on the web that described all the unnecessary XP services, but it seems to be down now. Try a Google for "unnecessary XP services" and there are other sites with suggestions.

By doing this, I'm able to save approx 100mb of RAM. That's enough to make GR1 run at high vs. medium on my PC.

WinXP loads alot of stuff that isn't necessary for gaming.

P4 2.8c

1 GB DDR400

9800XT

I was thinking he would get more milage if he could find a way to upgrade the video card instead...but I wanted to get your opinions before I turned around and mentioned it to him. Thoughts?

Hey GB, my best advice for your buddy is ask him to play GRAW on his current setup and see if he is happy with it first. The level of graphics/resolution that may be acceptable for him may be different than for others on this board.

He has a pretty old system that he really shouldn't spend too much more money on if he plans on building a new rig this year. Anything he upgrades on there will not be able to carry over to a new machine (e.g. CPU - Intel uses the LGA775 socket now, DDR2 RAM instead of DDR400, and PCI-E graphics instead of AGP)

The cheapest thing to get a good bang for the buck is upgrading the RAM to 2 Gigs, as RAM is cheap. Only thing to make sure is that if his mobo supports dual channel (2xDDR400 for the 2.8C that supports 800MHz FSB) that he needs to get 2 identical sticks of RAM.

I had a friend running 1 stick of 512MB DDR400 with a similar CPU, and he didn't realize his mobo could do dual channel - he got a significant boost just by adding a second identical DIMM.

If he wants to drop a significant bundle of cash to max out his rig's potential, then he can improve his graphics. For AGP cards, the best deals now are on Nvidia 6800GS or 7800GS cards. ATI's highest end for AGP is the X850 which will give him 2x the performance of his 9800, but not give him shader 3 like the 6&7 series Nvidia cards will.

Rocky is doing a similar upgrade as above, so maybe he can shed some light on the performance increase.

Hi

as allmost everyone here i'm going to upgrade my 5 year old pc for GRAW :D

But i have low buget for the upgrade ... max. 450€ ...

so it will be:

- new mainboard (with nForce 4 if that matters?)

- 3000+ AMD

- nVidia 7600GT

- 1GB RAM

will this be okay for GRAW? (sure not all on high but medium?)

And two more questions:

At the moment i cant effort an other 1 GB RAM cause GRAW isnt for free ;)

When i saved enough money for one more GB RAM does it have to be the exact same chip (same manufactor)? or can i buy any 1024 MB chip?

And would it be possible to use my old 512 MB RAM in the new machine?

I dont know too much about all the specs the memory has to be PC400 .. 3200 and what not ..

I just know that my current pc is 4-5 years old and has 2x 256MB RAM ;)

possible to use these?