Backpacking through Europe

tyovan4

At least you were smart enough not to get provoked ... you did the absolute right thing to keep on walking. A lot harder said than done and speaks volumes of your maturity. Just count your blessings they were dumb little punks and not dumb big punks. Otherwise you could very well be in the hospital now.

Meanwhile, my opinion of the UK has dropped significantly. I've also lost faith in the British government to keep me safe while I'm a visitor here. I kept thinking about how this would not have happened in Dublin, the Garda there were EVERYWHERE on foot. The UK needs more police to sort out the chavs.

You're fired up ... this could have happened anywhere in the world. The UK is a beautiful place with some of the nicest people and hottest chicks I ever met. It's ashamed you came across a bad incident but it would be even more ashamed if you let a dozen dumb asses taint your impression of the place. Don't let them do that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I no longer have faith in the British government's ability to keep me safe while I'm here. In Dublin the Garda were EVERYWHERE on foot, here when I needed them - they weren't to be found. One would think that the police would be at such a place, even in my wee town when we have a fair the police always have a strong presence.

It is a shame. There are some great people here - especially Rocky and Pyro_Monty. Truly great guys, and Rocky is a heck of a host to guests! But reading the BBC and such it seems like the country is on an express elevator to heck, and is rapidly turning into 'Chavistan'. There are some truly wonderful people here, but I've lost faith in the governments ability to protect me while I'm visiting.

Anyway, Im in London now. In Picadilly (I'm sure I spelled that wrong somehow).. Here until the 17th when I'm going to Amsterdam. Not going anywhere tonight, because its dark. And I dont like going out into unfamiliar cities in the dark until I've been out in daylight.

I no longer have faith in the British government's ability to keep me safe while I'm here. In Dublin the Garda were EVERYWHERE on foot,

Yeh, but think about that for a moment. There is a very good reason the Garda were everywhere.

Rocky is a heck of a host to guests

Crikey don't tell them that, it'll be like Hotel Rocky here if word gets out. :P

Horrible day yesterday, one of the worst days of my life. Made an awful mistake, and ended up hurting the woman I love - which is the last thing I've ever wanted to do..

And now I'm waiting to find out if she can find it in her heart to forgive me or if I've lost her...

Horrible day yesterday, one of the worst days of my life. Made an awful mistake, and ended up hurting the woman I love - which is the last thing I've ever wanted to do..

And now I'm waiting to find out if she can find it in her heart to forgive me or if I've lost her...

What the heck did you do???

I said some very stupid things on the phone and in an e-mail to her. I just really wasn't myself yesterday.

Luckily I haven't lost her (yet).. Shes not angry anymore, just empty inside. Said we both need to take some time to think more about us.

Luckily I haven't lost her (yet).. Shes not angry anymore, just empty inside. Said we both need to take some time to think more about us.

That's bad ... tread lightly. Act too dispondent and you might as well have hammered the last nail in the coffin yourself. Act too desperate and she will think lesser of you - especially given the age differential. Very delicate give and take.

End of the day ... enjoy your time backpacking - you deserve it. Blame your attitude on the crap day you had prior with the stupid punks / jet lag / travel fatigue ... whatever. Just come up with an excuse but prephase by saying, "I'm not trying to make any excuses but ..." Buy her something nice that *reminded you of a time you were together* ... that's key - don't buy something thats just random. This will show you not only think about her but about BOTH of you while you are away.

Just my $0.05 adjusted for inflation.

Okay Tyovan is just off the phone, I don't think he would mind too much if I shared the gist of the error he has made.... that has him into a bit of bother with his loved one... :whistle:

Apparantly a conversation went down the road of her saying something along the lines of "well, send me a message listing the things you don't like so much about me".

You guessed it.

He did!

He says he only listed "minor" things, but as I explained to him, that list she requested, it was a no win situation. It's the classic "how do I look in this dress" question. She DOES NOT WANT TO KNOW how she looks in the dress, she just wants to hear you say "you look great". Any other response is the WRONG response.

As Tyovan now realises, the same reasoning applies to the list, she never wanted to see a list even though she asked for one.

Now the poor guy is emptying all the pockets in his huge rucksack to buy a gift from every city he visits over the next few weeks. :o

In addition to hating the Edinburgh police, I now hate the Royal Mail. Something that should have taken one day to deliver is now appearing that its going to take three. Which means what I want may arrive tomorow. When I'll be in the Netherlands.

Do any public instutions over here work correctly????

There aren't many shipping services that can guarantee delivery during the busy holiday season. Even the big name overnight services won't guarantee 2 or 3 day deliveries. I found that out the hard way one year.

So I wouldn't be so quick to blame public institutions so quickly. :nono:

Is it just me or can anyone else smell the stress levels rising as Tyovan makes his way further and further around the globe?

I'm honestly ready to go home. I've learned to appreciate things much more. My country, my family, the woman I love, being able to sleep in my own bed without having five other snoring people in the room with me..

I've been gone enough for one trip, and I'm really kicking myself in the back-side for being gone so long. I'm sure in five or ten years I'll look back and think what an absolutely wonderful experience it was, a once-in-a-lifetime thing that most people don't get to experience. In the long term, I know its worth it. In the short term, I'm starting to hate it.

Leaving London tomorrow afternoon, hitting the continant. Holland here I come!