HELP ME SUPER NEW TO MAKING MODS

rawhrd2kill

I HAVE JUST STARTED TRYING TO MAKE MODS. I KNOW U CAN USE IGOR BUT IT CAN NOT DO WHAT I AM WAITING TO DO. I AM WANTING TO CREATE TOTALLY NEW MAPS. I DON'T KNOW BOUT SOME OF YOU BUT I AM GETTING TIRED OF THE SAME MAPS THAT PEOPLE ARE JUST REDOING. I AM TRYING TO CREATE NEW MAPS BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I NEED TO START. I GOT 3DS MAX 7 AND CORAL PAINT SHOP PRO. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED. WHERE DO I GET THE PLUG-INS AND STUFF FROM. AND WHEN I TRY TO CREATE A NEW GUN WITH IGOR WHERE DO I SAVE IT TO. MY OWN FOLDER. AND HOW DO I GET IT TO SHOW UP IN THE GAME. ONE OTHER THING Y DOES MY GAME KEEP CRASHING WHEN I MAKE MY OWN FOLDER TO ADD THE WEAPONS I HAVE MADE. IT CRASHES WHEN I ACTIVATE THE MOD NAME I HAVE GIVEN IT AND GO TO START A GAME. WHY IS THIS. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT AND GET ME STARTED. THANK YOU.

ok well can you help me out. please say yes.

im sorry to disappoint you m8, but im def. no mapmaker.

however i can strongly recommend you to PM Deleyt , Lexis or Cobaka.

now there you have some heavy artillery regarding mapmaking and

know-how.

i hope you can get in touch with them and start to make maps, they are

very well needed.

best of luck/ ingeloop

Go to the search function under the GR banner above, and search for Map Making under Map modding section Lots of tips there.

Also you can find some map making tutorials HERE?

Grab "Mike's" tutorial and "Papa's" tutorial.HERE

Oh, and you need 3DS Max ver 3 or 4 or 5 or 5.1 to make maps, ver 7 don't work!

Might need Photoshop also to make the Command Map to guide your soldiers.

See also THIS

And THIS

And THIS

Etc Etc

I believe your new mod needs a readme file. This is read by the game and what you type in this file shows up in the in game mod list. Just copy one from another mod then change the appropriate information. I think I am remembering this correctly... good luck!

know-how.

very well needed.

best of luck/ ingeloop

if u could help me contact them that would be great maybe they can teach me a little to get me started. thank u so much my email is rawhrd2kill@midsouth.rr.com or im me on yahoo at nextbigthing4177 or aim impact4177 thank u very much. now i may get some help. thanks alot. see u around.

know-how.

very well needed.

best of luck/ ingeloop

if u could help me contact them that would be great maybe they can teach me a little to get me started. thank u so much  my email is rawhrd2kill@midsouth.rr.com  or im me on yahoo at nextbigthing4177  or aim  impact4177  thank u very much. now i may get some help. thanks alot. see u around.

Lazy ######

U just need 3 rules to follow.

1. Use the forum's search function. It does miracles, trust me.

2. At least try to make something on your own before asking for help. Maybe mapmaking is too hard for u and for starters u might try some different aspects of GR modding just to see how things works. Trust me, mapmaking is the hardest one.

3. If in doubt, use forum's search function again cuz 99% of mapmaking questions has been covered in this forum.

Maybe this sounds too harsh but every week a question pops out like "Hi i have a 3dsm 7 and i wanna do maps...What do i need to do?..." :wacko:

Good luck

well i have tryed and i was using eds max 7 and found out that it won't work with the gr plugin so i was looking for some one to help me get started. like tell me what programs i need and etc... and as for this site helping me with my answers( hope this don't affend the makers of this site) half thier links don't work. like that 3dsm mod link it don't work. alot of the others i have looked at don't work. but as to explain how to do it yes. but i don't know where to get the programs they was talking bout cause the links don't work. and i would still like for some one that knows how to create new mods to help me anyway. just because they know how to do it.

1) use 3dsmax v3 to v5.1 (I believe) I have v5.1, you'll need to know how to create geometry and how to texture it (basic 3dsmax skills), and how to tag it for game-purposes.

2) read levelbuilder.pdf, all game-related info is there (it's written by RSE if I'm correct), it's on the game CD (Island Thunder), also where the plugins are.

3) the rest you search here in the forums, read read read.

If the pdf is confusing, or your model-skills are very basic then try Mike Shell's tutorial (like The Worm said) and Papa's tutorial to get a quick basic result.

Basicly you create the geometry in 3dsmax and tag it (so the game-engine knows whats a floor/door/window/tree etc.), then export it to MAP-file, then use the lighting-editor (on CD) for lights and shadows, then open it up in Igor to make it playable in game (mission/gametype).

Or just wait for GRAW

which will have a game-editor with it. No need for 3dsmax or knowledge, but all maps will be with the same standard buildings/trees/textures (I think), so they will all look alike (just guessing here)

Until they release plugins to export models from 3dsmax into GRAW game-editor, or directly into game...

ok well i thought i would try to mod a couple of guns now then go to map making since i can use igor for this. ok once i create a gun do i save it into the folder i have made for my mod. ok well i have tryed this a few times and once i do get the weapon to show up in the game when the mission go to load

ghost recon shuts down. y is this. what am i doin wrong?

Edited by rawhrd2kill

map making may seem impossible at first, but once you start its quite easy. only a few months ago I was a total noob, couldnt even draw a plan (didnt know what it was either) now I can make maps and Im still learning. I'll be happy to assist you but you should do what everyone has suggested, you should start on it, try fail and try again. we will help you along the way.

If you are talking about multiplayer Firefight, Recon etc, you need a bunch of Points and Zones added in Igor. The Igor pdf will give you a full list of the Points/Zones needed. Check the Missions forum.

Don't know about guns, though... you might want to have a custom kit restriction somewhere Check the Weapons modding forum.