PSU Went Breasts Up.

WhiteKnight77

Well, I had it happen again. My PSU went breasts (it just doesn't sound right this way I tell ya) up today. I shut my PC off after lunch and when I got home this evening, no juice. Nothing came one. I eventually dug out a generic PSU and plugged in just the needed stuff and notice no ill effects of it going south so far. I hope to have a new one tomorrow.

:(

he said breast *insert beavis and butthead laugh*

Yeah, sounds like a power surge, which is no good. Is surge protection present? If so has it died, ive seen some before that were single use, if they tripped once it cooked the insides, meaning you would need a new one.

Actually, I have it plugged into 2 surge protectors. One is plugged into the UPS surge protector. I probably do need to replace at least the one surge protector. I do know my UPS battery is toast though and I need to replace that. Lack of doesn't help though. No lights on my surge protector to show it took a hit though. Hopefully, this afternoon I get a new one. I do want a PC P&C 510 Turbo, but the $269 cost is a bit steep right now.

Is the little light that comes on if it goes bad usually reliable in alerting you to the fact that the surge supressor went bad?

Yes. Those lights in most cases are quite accurate. Don't mistake it for the warning light that tells you your circuit isn't grounded. Most decent Surge protectors have both.

Actually, I have it plugged into 2 surge protectors. One is plugged into the UPS surge protector. I probably do need to replace at least the one surge protector. I do know my UPS battery is toast though and I need to replace that. Lack of doesn't help though. No lights on my surge protector to show it took a hit though. Hopefully, this afternoon I get a new one. I do want a PC P&C 510 Turbo, but the $269 cost is a bit steep right now.

Never plug into two surge supressors. I never quite understood the underlying dynamics, but if you do, it prevents them from doing their job correctly. Something I have been taught by every computer instructor I ever had.

Like I said, I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer, I was always taught by more than one instructor not to do this.

checkout this Silverstone 650 I'm using for my SLI rig. It'll be your gateway to a SLI system if ever you want to go that route. This was my downgrade to that 510 Turbo. This was initially recommended to me by the tech from Falcon-Northwest, but they later told me to use the Silverstone due to my budget. Hope to see you up and going again.

Semper Fi