special ops game in development

foxbat

Hi. I posted about this a while ago, but I've got some new stuff to show, so I'm posting again.

Basicly, I'm making a special operations game/simulation. I used to have some people helping with the project, but everyone (apart from 1 person) dropped out.

word doc - this is some basic info on the type of game I've got in mind. Basicly it's going to be as realistic as possible, and offer some features that we have always wanted for tactical fps games. I'm open to any ideas or anyone who thinks they can help with artwork, models, sounds, textures, levels etc.

You can also view a demo movie which shows the game in it's current state. Note that none of the models or sounds in the movie (apart from the terrain) are my own work - they were taken from other sources (you will recognise the voices :D ). These will all need to be replaced with origional or non copyrighted content. Oh, and just ignore the bug with the sky/fog clipping. This is fixable. The engine I'm using is theoretically capable with handling huge terrain levles (25x25 km or more) and a viewing range limited by graphics hardware (Z-buffer). A 1 or 2 km view range should be feesable.

At the moment, the game is going to be a freeware tactical sim comunity based project. It may be sold in the future if it is good enough.

If your interested in helping in anyway or providing feedback, you can post on our forums here: http://s3.invisionfree.com/Game_Project/in...om/game_project

Looks cool. Developing your own game is a toughie. The game engine and a physics engine as well. with 2 of you , it will take awhile. didn't get to see the full movie, but looks good so far. If you need some photo realistic textures, I can take my digicam and shoot you some. just tell me the size and format, Jpeg, RSB etc.. I'll have to wait till my next day off though..cool?

The idea looks cool. Does the engine allow wooded areas, or maybe snow maps?

Things i found that looked strange,

Seems like the characters run to fast, like unrealisticly fast. I dunno if if this because it isnt finished.

The reload speeds are to fast also.

I like the move and clear command. The heli was great also, with the gun and missles.

This is a excellent game in progress. if you need info on weapons i can help knowing im a weapons freak (and im only 14!) so just tell us when you need something and we will try to help.

How wide is the receiver on the M4?

How many bullets can the shrike shoot before blowing out its barrel?

Whats the largest mag you can get for a mac11?

How many bullets can the HK made drum mag hold?

How many bullets can a vetterli shoot before it becoming inoperateable?

Sorry i had to do it :rolleyes:

This is a excellent game in progress. if you need info on weapons i can help knowing im a weapons freak (and im only 14!) so just tell us when you need something and we will try to help.

How wide is the receiver on the M4?

How many bullets can the shrike shoot before blowing out its barrel?

Whats the largest mag you can get for a mac11?

How many bullets can the HK made drum mag hold?

How many bullets can a vetterli shoot before it becoming inoperateable?

Sorry i had to do it :rolleyes:

May I add one? If so:

What can the m203 be mounted on outside of the m16/m4.

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses.

The animations in the movie probably look too fast because of issues with video editing and the capturing program. Apart from that though, the model animations I'm using are pretty dodgy and are only temporary.

About the graphics engine - we're using the Acknex engine. It can handle directX shaders, physics, terrain, indoor and outdoor 'block' levels, trees, bones animation...pretty much everything.

What I really need at the moment are some basic procedures for the AI to follow. I want AI squads to be able to behave realisticlly - knowing when to go prone, at what ranges to detect enemies, when to go for cover etc. If anyone with knowledge of tactics has any ideas on AI, please let me know.

I can't release a demo quite yet because the pathfinding code has too many bugs and needs to be re-written. I'll let everyone know when a demo is available.

Edited by foxbat