WinXP SP2 free for all

CR6

Wow, this almost makes Microsoft look altruistic!

http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/news/sto...04,2292,00.html

"We haven't explicitly done anything to SP2 to exclude it from pirated copies," said Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe. The United States-based executive was interviewed via telephone.

This is unlike SP1 (Service Pack 1), which had features to prevent users with pirated copies from downloading it. In SP2's case, the mammoth 80MB to 250MB patch can be downloaded and installed on computers running both legitimate and pirated copies.

Users can also request a free CD copy of SP2, although shipping charges could apply, something which the company has yet to finalise, said Mr Goffe.

So there shouldn't bee too many excuses to do this update :P

What if it is 250MB for me and I got no money to order the CD?

1. Ask a friend to download it for you and give it to you.

2. Tell your parents (if you live with them) that this is a critical update, and you need it installed to ensure that all those nasty worms they hear about in the news won't be able to get at you, and ask them to order the CD for you.

3. Just bite the bullet and download it. Sure, it might take a while, but so would the wait time on having the CD shipped.

4. Cancel your dialup service (assuming that's why 250 megs worries you) and use the money you save each month to order all the CD's you need. Then, sign up for dialup again.

5. Set fire to computer. Smear chicken blood on your body, and dance around the flaming machine chanting nonsensical terms. Maybe a voodoo spirit will solve the problem for you.

Need I go on? ;)

Seriously, as long as you check Windows Update regularly, and install every critical patch as they come up, you won't be facing a 250 meg download, unless you deliberately download the network install version of SP2 (which is always every file as opposed to just the ones your system needs.

Well, if it seems too good to be true, it usually isn't ...

It looks like SP2 won't be free for pirates after all. Microsoft clarified their statement:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1590320,00.asp

"Recent press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "Instead, prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID [PID] against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install." This behavior is essentially similar to that of Windows XP SP1.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, if it seems too good to be true, it usually isn't ...

It looks like SP2 won't be free for pirates after all. Microsoft clarified their statement:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1590320,00.asp

"Recent press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "Instead, prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID [PID] against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install." This behavior is essentially similar to that of Windows XP SP1.

Crikey, I meed this post first time around, I better go tell everyone I told the original news to, it's no longer the case LOL.