Adding in more save points.

I've prepared a tutorial showing how to add in extra save points in GR:AW missions. This will help players get past difficult sections of missions where the player is failing time after time, and having to go over old ground for 15 minutes before getting to the tricky part for yet another attempt.

Before I publish it, it would be good if someone was willing to try it out and make sure I managed to get down all the details clearly. You need to use Nemons bundle extractor and an xml editor, but it really should not be beyond anyone's reach :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested, drop me a PM and I'll close this thread when I have a couple of willing volunteers!

I've prepared a tutorial showing how to add in extra save points in GR:AW missions. This will help players get past difficult sections of missions where the player is failing time after time, and having to go over old ground for 15 minutes before getting to the tricky part for yet another attempt.

Before I publish it, it would be good if someone was willing to try it out and make sure I managed to get down all the details clearly. You need to use Nemons bundle extractor and an xml editor, but it really should not be beyond anyone's reach :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested, drop me a PM and I'll close this thread when I have a couple of willing volunteers!

I am not applying for beta status, but if this works Rocky, you have my SINCERE amazement and congratulations! While this isn't a "Quick Save" fix, it sure does have the ability to help.

Tutorial is live here!

Thanks to noquarter for checking it for me.

What would be very cool, would be to have all 12 missions posted with extra saves points added. There is a knack to selecting where exactly to put a save point in the code, so having a library of missions with verified working and helpful save points would be awesome. So, if you modify a mission to get past a tricky point, make sure and post details in here :)

I hope this helps anyone who has not completed the awesome SP campaign, and gives them the incentive to give it another go.

Nice Rocky.

But the start_time variable is not just how long until the text is displayed. It is the time after the event runs that the save itself occurs as well.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I will edit the report to show that.

Just for kicks I ran through Mission 01 Contact and added 9 new save points, checked they all worked and that the mission ended properly.

Not that anyone should really need help with mission 1, but the extra save locations might be handy for anyone looking to pick the mission up at a certain point to grab a movie or such like.

Mission 01 Save Point Extra.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Nice mod! I've stumbled upon this website just looking for some way to go across the embassy section of mission 3 (vip2 is down). It's hard for me! And it really ###### me to just go over all the process until the latest part.

Anyway, I've tried to do the trick and apparently it works. I say apparently because the games are saved but I cannot load them again. Any time I try I got this message after a while loading:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.02

data\lib\units\extensions\groupunit.dsf(-1): cant find member: size in type <void>

Any suggestions?

I've seen there's a mission3.xml and a mission3.xml.bin. Perhaps the .bin part is a compiled one different from the .xml ... but my previous savegame (with the standard file) just loads fine.

¿?

I see you added new saves quite late in the mission. I have many saves for this mission, but they are UNTESTED in GRAW v1.3 so I cannot say for sure they will work. They did provide LOTS of extra saves that worked though, especially around the area you are stuck with, so maybe give this one a try. I am attaching it to this message.

mission03.xml

I see you added new saves quite late in the mission. I have many saves for this mission, but they are UNTESTED in GRAW v1.3 so I cannot say for sure they will work. They did provide LOTS of extra saves that worked though, especially around the area you are stuck with, so maybe give this one a try. I am attaching it to this message.

I've compared the files and there have some other differences appart from the save points. I'll try it later and let you know.

Also, I have GRAW v1.02 (the one with came on the DVD) I've downloaded the patch but I haven't applied yet. I will also report about that later.

Thanks.

I'd love to do the whole campaign, but it's a lot of work. I think I might wait a few days until the next patch is out just incase it screws something up in this respect.

Good idea. :yes: I had already forgot about the next patch. If each mission had just a few extra save points I'd be tempted to replay the campaign to see if I could enjoy it,instead of being totally frustrated and P.O.ed. While your at it exterminate all the bugs GRAW has. :P

If each mission had just a few extra save points I'd be tempted to replay the campaign to see if I could enjoy it,instead of being totally frustrated and P.O.ed.

Yeh, that is what I found, the missions were more enjoyable the 2nd, or even 3rd time around as it was more possible to enjoy the cool elements and try different tactics once the frustrating part was done with.

Well, bad news. It's not working completely fine.

Some saved games work, others not. The error message is the one I posted, always the same.

I've updated to version 1.30. If I take a look at the xml file on the patch.bundle, it's the same you sent to me with just the savegames on it.

But it's not working on most savegames! :wall:

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have GRAW with the latest patch(1.3), and as a single mission player I am a firm believer in quick saves. Since this is not possible at the moment, auto saves are the only option for all of us. What I am looking for is a person that has made a lot of auto saves and are willing to share them. I am not an xlm editor :blush: . Please help. I am starting to get sick of playing the same over and over again. In other words; I am also a bad player :blush: .

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I used Rocky's edited mission1.xml, at the end of the mission I was not prompted to jump on the helicopter. I tried reloading from check_point6b but the same thing happened. I then tried reloading from check_point6 and I was able to jump on the helicopter. Therefore it seems from this experience (though I might have been unfortunate!) that added extra saves can affect the script in the game. I was using v1.35.

I have now created my own mission1.xml which is based on Rocky's but I have added some extra checkpoints in the 'Eliminate RPGs' section as I was having trouble. I can paste the extra text here if anybody needs it.

Yeh that did happen to me once too Rick, I thought I had sorted it though.

There was another quirk at one stage, when I went to collect one of the Ghosts from his drop off location, he just stood their kicking dirt instead of joining up with me.

Systems not perfect, but I hoped it would help folks who got hopelessly stuck.

I've been using this method on some other missions where I'm struggling to reach the next checkpoints. On mission04.xml I'm getting a lot of "cant find member: size in type <void>" errors.

Has anyone got any experience of how to get around these? Should I be varying the interval time or use a different event to save under?