Asus Ageia Physics Card release date?

SteelHack

does anyone know if the game will support it right out of the box? there has been no mention nor video of it in action save that small clip on the aegia site.

Yes, GRAW has enhanced PhysX features out of the box. Bo commented on that a while ago in a past interview. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few generic notes:

Cpu's can and do calculate physics just fine. BUT, they are general purpose devices. Sure it's all just math, but there are tons of different kinds of math to calculate and CPU's only do integer and mostly floating point well. A dedicated processor that is designed to do just one kind of math will ALWAYS be faster. You could argue the brute force method of shoving hte data through a 4ghz machine doing nothing else, but that isn't practical.

Dual-Core you say...... Sure, the second core can be dedicated to physics, but you still end up with the same problem as above. Will it be faster than a single core CPU... you betcha. Will it be faster than a PPU... no. The inner workings of processor aside, a dual-core system needs to deal with a lot of OS overhead. In all reality, a current generation Intel dual-core is pretty inefficient. Amd's is much better, but in niether design will you ever get the speed of 2 full cores. At best you are getting 85% efficiency.

Now, on to the idea of embedding it on a graphics card or the PPU will go away because people don't want anothe add-in card. Well, the add-in card does one major thing... It allows you to change out that card without affecting anything else in your computer. Would you rather pay $700 for a GPU with a PPU on it then upgrade that to the latest $700 offering or buy a $200 PPU seperately then only need to spend $500 on that new GPU upgrade?

Sound chips have been integrated onto motherboards for ever... Yet somehow Creative Labs is still around and selling $125 sound cards. Imagine that. Heck, same thing with GPU's and embedded graphics. A personal computer will always be a general purpose device.. UNTIL you add in specific purpose hardware. ie: A GPU, Sound Card or PPU.

-John

im waiting for the pci-e version to come out q4 this year :) :)

my mobo only has 1 pci-e slot, so I'd have to do a whole system upgrade cause right now my vid card uses the pci-e slot.

There are different types of PCIe Slots. The video card slot is just one of them, which is 8x-16x.

The other two are the PCIe 1x slots and the 2x-4x PCIe slots.

The PhysX card would use one of the smaller slots, not the video card ones.

Edited by nasa15

Would you rather pay $700 for a GPU with a PPU on it then upgrade that to the latest $700 offering or buy a $200 PPU seperately then only need to spend $500 on that new GPU upgrade?

actually, according to that link that was posted in here; the PPU card is more like $300 US.

im waiting for the pci-e version to come out q4 this year :) :)

my mobo only has 1 pci-e slot, so I'd have to do a whole system upgrade cause right now my vid card uses the pci-e slot.

There are different types of PCIe Slots. The video card slot is just one of them, which is 8x-16x.

The other two are the PCIe 1x slots and the 2x-4x PCIe slots.

The PhysX card would use one of the smaller slots, not the video card ones.

i'll have to check my mobo again. sadly i fear that my vid fan may be covering up the other pci-e slots i have.

And I'm thinking about one thing. Will PPU card enchance my system performance couse its main job is to pick the load of calculating physics from my CPU? Do I will notice more fps (beside I will have more beautiful and tense graphics)? And if yes, how it will work in multiplayer? Not everyone will have this card on their mobo's so my main question is how it will work. My PPU card will calculate it anyway or the physics will go through CPU?

Edited by Anarchy

The GPU boards of today are running way too hot, if they add another processor to that board it's going to be trouble IMHO. CPU magazine did a good article on the heat of current GPU cards last month I think, maybe the month b4.

If they integrate that tech into current GPU chips, I think we are either looking at a less capable solution or another potential heat issue. Unless... GPU cards start coming water cooled as a standard.

I was on board with getting this card, that sample video sold me. However, seeing that Colin (who has played GRAW) is holding off I may wait a bit and see what happens. I suppose I could play through without the card and then wait a few month and get one on e-bay and play again with an entire new experiance.

And I'm thinking about one thing. Will PPU card enchance my system performance couse its main job is to pick the load of calculating physics from my CPU? Do I will notice more fps (beside I will have more beautiful and tense graphics)? And if yes, how it will work in multiplayer? Not everyone will have this card on their mobo's so my main question is how it will work. My PPU card will calculate it anyway or the physics will go through  CPU?

GRAW & PPU release are may 2k6, i'm hoping to read a gamers review of the hardware before i buy the game, then stock permitting i'll buy the two together. What i realy want to know is, with the PPU creating more information on your screen, obviously that's more work for the graphics card to do. So, will it affect performance (framerate, frames per second)? with just a single gfx card at high in-game settings.