Case Design and Cooling

WhiteKnight77

For a long time, I have been wanting a different PC case to help with cooling my rig. I found out how case design can alter temps in the case with a decent one. Yesterday, I got an Antec Plusview 1000AMG and my temps may have changed, but with this weekends temperatures here in GA, it is hard to tell. Christmas weekend I had idle temps of 38c/100f for my CPU with an indoor ambient temperature of 70F and an outdoor temp of 45f at the most.

After swapping parts from the old one to the new one, I have idle temps of 34c/93f-36c/96f. This with the ambient air temperature of 75f inside my apartment with an outdoor temperature of about 70f.

To be fair, I did add a 5th case fan, but I don't see it having as big effect on the CPU as it does my video card which appears to have benefitted as well.

The biggest reason I believe in the temp difference is the size of the air holes where the fans are located, they are about 3/8" square as seen here.

plusview1000.jpg

This is in contrast to generic cases or even some brand name cases with fan grills that are drilled similar to this.

11-171-053-05.JPG

With the extra metal in the way, I feel airflow decreases. There are many case designs that help with cooling by opening up the fan grills to allow for better airflow through them.

Ooo, sweet case. I like Antec cases and power supplies.

Couple questions ... is it aluminum? I've read that aluminum enclosures can drop temps a few degrees as they disappate heat better - e.g. Cooler Master and Lian-Li cases

Also, did it come with a power supply? Can you chose the wattage? (like getting 480W vs. standard 350W)

The Plus series of cases are made from steel instead of aluminum (Antec's Preformance One series is though). The Plusview cases do not come with a PSU like the Plus 1080AMG that comes with a 430W TruePower PSU (the only PSU to get from Antec IMO).

Prior to posting this, I was checking out pics of cases and what they have in respect to the fan holes and Antec and Raidmax cases are very similar in construction.

This is the Coolermaster WaveMaster case (aluminum)

11-119-023-09.JPG

This is a Raidmax case

11-156-148-06.JPG

This is a Lian-Li case

11-112-509-13.JPG

as is this one

11-112-049-10.JPG

You can find a case with decent cooling capabilities if you search enough. Cooling solutions vary even amongst a manufacturers complete line of cases. The key to me is finding one that meets your needs.

Aluminum is a lighter metal and can help dissipate heat faster, but you sacrifice durability (needed if you take your rig to LAN parties/meets).

For a long time, I have been wanting a different PC case to help with cooling my rig. I found out how case design can alter temps in the case with a decent one. Yesterday, I got an Antec Plusview 1000AMG and my temps may have changed, but with this weekends temperatures here in GA, it is hard to tell. Christmas weekend I had idle temps of 38c/100f for my CPU with an indoor ambient temperature of 70F and an outdoor temp of 45f at the most.

After swapping parts from the old one to the new one, I have idle temps of 34c/93f-36c/96f. This with the ambient air temperature of 75f inside my apartment with an outdoor temperature of about 70f.

To be fair, I did add a 5th case fan, but I don't see it having as big effect on the CPU as it does my video card which appears to have benefitted as well.

The biggest reason I believe in the temp difference is the size of the air holes where the fans are located, they are about 3/8" square as seen here.

plusview1000.jpg

This is in contrast to generic cases or even some brand name cases with fan grills that are drilled similar to this.

11-171-053-05.JPG

With the extra metal in the way, I feel airflow decreases. There are many case designs that help with cooling by opening up the fan grills to allow for better airflow through them.

It's a catch 22 with the opening of the grills, WK. Yes, you may get a bit more air flow, but you also get more dust, dirt, and whatever that coats the inside of your case and components, which causes more heat build-up in the long run because people don't open their cases up and clean the way they should. THe dirt and dust actually act as an insulator when coating components, not letting heat escape the way it should, even with proper air flow.

And with good case fans, the holes don't need to be large. Especially if you have enough fans, that are all pointed in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Those air holes cause turbulance from your fans (if they're strong enough), and can also be one of overlooked sources of noise. My advice, cut the holes out. ;)

By the way, what fans are you using, and is your new case any quieter?

Crimson, I now have 5 Antec 80MM Blue LED fans (compared to the 4 before the case swap) and the noise level hasn't changed a bit. It is still quiet (compared to when I used the Thermaltake Volcano 9 I originally bought for my chip). BTW. I did not remove the HSF from the chip and redo the thermal compound. I left it in place during the swap over (temp comparisons will be easier, at least until I get a new CPU after I get my taxes).

The Antec 80MM fans has specs of:

Airflow: 34cfm

Speed: 2800RPM

Acoustic Noise: 30dBA

Current: .14A

Static Pressure: .12" H20

Very nice.

I wish someone would've slapped me around before I bought this quite some time ago.

I'm starting to get quite anal about noise coming from the puter. I wish I would've looked more seriously into cases that hold 12 cm fans, which push more air at low RPMs. So now my tastes have changed, and I'm a smidge more educated, and am currently looking at this AeroCool case. It has some nice features, and it's not too flashy. Can anyone figure out what the clear tube is for?

So now my tastes have changed, and I'm a smidge more educated, and am currently looking at this AeroCool case.  It has some nice features, and it's not too flashy.  Can anyone figure out what the clear tube is for?

Yup, firefly is right. It allows for a straight-through horizontal flow of outside "cooler" air to constantly flow over the CPU.

The standard ATX case's airflow is an "S" shape which doesn't really make sense. Cool air is supposed to come in through the front bottom of the case, go up past your hot hard drives, graphics card, CPU and RAM, and exit up by the power supply ... yeah right ;) Problem is it is usually impeded by power wires, flat IDE cables, long graphics cards etc.

With old Pentium II's and III's, this was OK, but with toasty new P4's and Athlons, today's powerful computers need better cooling short of hooking up some water hoses and a radiator.

So now Intel is pushing their BTX spec which lines up the CPU, mobo chipset, RAM etc right along the centre of your case for straight-through airflow. Kinda what Apple did with their G5 tower. Makes more sense, but unlikely will be adopted fully for a few years.

So this case kind of applies BTX principles to an ATX mobo, except that you still need some airflow to cool your hard drives, graphics card, CPU and RAM etc

Aluminum is a lighter metal and can help dissipate heat faster, but you sacrifice durability (needed if you take your rig to LAN parties/meets).

Agreed on the durability. I wouldn't lug my aluminum case outside my house too much - might smudge that nice brushed aluminum finish :lol:

Ever think of modding your case to put side panel and top fans in?

Also, last year I helped a friend put together an Antec Sonata case. It had some really cool features like internal drive bays in individual trays with rubber grommets to absorb hard drive vibrations and included one of those large 120mm Fans: the benefit is it moves more air at a lower RPM, thus reducing noise.

The Sonata is not really meant for super powerful hot CPUs though, but excellent if you're into quiet computing. Also easy to get fingerprints on the nice piano black finish :P

See more here:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15138

Finally, one often overlooked CPU which may be the best way to combine powerful computing with a cool system is to get one of those new Pentium M desktop motherboards with a Pentium M CPU. They keep up with the fastest P4's and Athlon 64's.

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=635&pid=2414

There you have it.  Dothan’s fast, cool, overclockable, and capable of going toe-to-toe with the best Prescott and Athlon 64 can offer in several different arenas.  It may not be the right choice for you—but if you care about thermals, it’s worth a hard look.  As for the DFI 855GME-MFG, its not perfect; we'd like to see a few more goodies, a standard Socket-478 cooling system, better documentation, and most of all, more voltage controls for VDIMM and Vcore.  But even after all that, we can't deny one crucial detail--this motherboard / CPU combination absolutely rocks. 

Wondering what you guys think of the Thermal Take Tsunami case.

Its midpriced (around $200AUS) and im told its good.

Any ideas on noise/cooling trade off with it? Heard of it exploding and killing everyone in a 5 mile radius?

Cheers

I quite like the idea of the Lian Li PC-V1000 Aluminum Case. It has a slightly different layout as found here http://www.systemcooling.com/pc-v1000-02.html splitting up the major heat components into seperate boxes (as mac g5 owners will already be familar. Actually scratch that. Mac users never know what the inside of their case looks like). Look pretty good as well. Shame about the price.