New motherboard

Dark Ranger

Well, I ordered my motherboard at 11:30pm Sunday the 19th, and received it Wednesday the 22nd at 12:45pm! Talk about speedy! Only $0.50 for UPS 2-day shipping also.

Anyway, I installed it later that evening after work. Connected everything back and booted up. It worked the first time! (a.k.a. I didn't fry anything. :lol: ) So I configured the BIOS, saved the changes and restarted. It worked fine until the "Starting up Windows 2000 Professional" screen. It paused and went to a blue-screen error. Do'h! The error was 0x0000007B, which means Inaccessable_Boot_Device. :wall:

So I tried everything that I could think of: Ran Chkdsk /r on the volume, booted from my Norton AV cd and scanned for viruses, removed a stick of ram, swapped the sticks of ram, disconnected ALL IDE devices save the HDD, ran through the BIOS again and tweaked the startup sequence, defined the hard drive properties manually, called 3 of my IT friends (who of course didn't answer their phones...go figure, and then prayed :)

Couldn't figure it out. So I tried again today (I had the day off today) but the same issues remained. Hmmmmmm...only one thing left to try. A GOSH DANG REFORMAT!! Again! But it worked. Reinstalled 2k and reloaded all the drivers, apps, and stuff. Runs like a dream...and freakin' fast too! I haven't played GR yet or run the MadOnion benchmarks yet, but I'm sure I'll notice a difference. I'm so happy. :rocky:

So the only thing I could think of was that somehow, the Via properties still remained on the drive...or something with the A7V motherboard. But I uninstalled all of the Drivers...USB 2.0, 4-in-1, VGA, all PCI drivers...hmmmm. I don't know. But it's working now.

Oh by the way, the removal of the mobo gave me a chance to apply the newly-bought Antec Thermal Silver Compound to my treasured AMD. I removed all the industry-standard goop and used this new stuff. Oh my gosh, what a difference. 115-120 was my average operating temperature, well, I'm running 37C/98F right now,(not idle) with my Volcano 9 at only 3250 RPM's.

I decided to use the LAN port for internet-access, instead of my PCI Ethernet card, so that will free up one PCI slot. And I'm running 2 PC2700 512 sticks of ram to utilize the Dual Data Transfer feature on this new mobo.

See updated sig below... :rocky:

Edited by Dark Ranger

Dark Ranger, great! :D If you're using the Antec stuff, it still can't compete with Artic Silver. Might want to try it next time you remove the hsf.

BTW, might want to correct your sig... How are you running a 333fsb and your cpu is still at 1.8ghz?

Hotdog, might want to try it yourself, then if it doesn't work have a pro do it. PC's aren't that hard to build, just a matter of following instructions and connection cables. If you're handy with a screwdriver, it can be done.

Do'h!

:blush: Thanks RooK, I was thinkin' 333MHz board capable, not my actual buss speed. Oopsie! ;)

BTW, the BIOS seems to be a bit buggy in some areas, for example my Hardware monitor in the BIOS says my CPU temp is 72C/161F, when it's actually 36C/96F...oh well. Perhaps a BIOS Flash update would fix it, but I'm not going to worry about that now.

just a matter of following instructions
instructions :blink: never heard of them lol. i may try first. i mean i have installed a second HD, CD ROM, sound card and video card myself but that stuff is pretty straightforward it seems.

but really what factors do i need to take into account for picking a good motherboard? i have heard that Albatron now has a really good one, is this worth looking into?

First pick a cpu, then pick a chipset, then pick a board manufacturer.

As far as AMD goes, top chipset is the NF2, next comes the KT400 and KT333.

As for board makers: Abit, Asus, Epox, MSI and Chaintech seems to be making a name for themself. As for the others, look at reviews and compare speeds/options. With the nf2 chipset, it isn't that big a deal since they score within a few % of each other. The KT400/333 chipsets are a different story where board manufacturer makes a big impact on performance.

Curious, what do you want it for (gaming duh but what else) and what do you currently have? You're GFX must be good since you are runnin RalliSport Challenge but what else you sportin?

lol ya the only thing i really want it for is gaming. thats the only thing that really matters to me. :P and the next video card i buy will only be a GF FX :rocky:

here is my pc stats:

Microsoft Windows XP Home

Intel Pentium® 4 @ 1.50 GHz

Albatron GeForce4 Ti 4200 Turbo

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer 5.1

640 MB SDRAM

1-20gigHD

1-40gigHD

Curious, what do you want it for (gaming duh but what else) and what do you currently have? You're GFX must be good since you are runnin RalliSport Challenge but what else you sportin?

lol ya the only thing i really want it for is gaming. thats the only thing that really matters to me. :P and the next video card i buy will only be a GF FX :rocky:

here is my pc stats:

Microsoft Windows XP Home

Intel Pentium® 4 @ 1.50 GHz

Albatron GeForce4 Ti 4200 Turbo

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer 5.1

640 MB SDRAM

1-20gigHD

1-40gigHD

IMHO that PIV is gonna hold ya back. And CPU upgrades are gonna run ya of course. You could wait until this Summer or late Spring when the new AMD Claw Hammer comes out or Intel's new CPU on the Prescott core. That would do 2 things for you, 1. you could get a better CPU but it would be more expensive and 2. the P4 market will go down and so will the AMD XP chips so yo ucould get a nice chip then for cheaper. If you buy a board now, which I almost did and am not sure what to do then you are stuck with the Intel Socket 478 Line of CPU's which when not OC'd so far max out at 3.06GHz. That is the best you could do with a mobo now unless Intel makes more 478 P4's which I dont know if they will or wont. I have a 2.4 now and am thinking about staying with mobo and waiting to get a 3.06GHz cpu on my board. But then I also think about getting a new Mobo, of course temptation and all would make me get a new mobo, new CPU and since it would have a new AGP slot then a new GFX card too. So lots too think about. But it mainly comes down to this,

1. Do you want to have a max possible CPU speed of 3GHz for good long while?

2. Do you want to wait for the new higher powered 64bit CPU's?

3. Do you want to wait for the new 64 bit cpus to drive down older CPU's cost and then get an older model?

Given I do not know your budget and a lot of this is what I am thinking about but I dont have loads of cash so...yah :(

Note, your RAM should be fine it is a little slower but there is a lot of it. And you HDD's should last yo usome time. CANT BELIEVE YOU ARENT SATISFIED WITH YOUR BLOODY GF4! lol ;)

3. Do you want to wait for the new 64 bit cpus to drive down older CPU's cost and then get an older model?

urgh.... too many decisions lol

Given I do not know your budget and a lot of this is what I am thinking about but I dont have loads of cash so...yah
right now my buget is slim. need to recover from xmas still. but i think when i start getting extra cash a may buy one part at a time.

CANT BELIEVE YOU ARENT SATISFIED WITH YOUR BLOODY GF4! lol
i really do love my new card but i know it will only hold me till the end of the summer if it is lucky. its just that the FX is going to run about $800 canadian so i need to wait for the price to drop.

here is some info i found for the mobo i have now. doesn't mean much to me though.

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Model: D845HV

Version: AAA63931-304

BIOS Vendor: Intel Corp.

BIOS Version: HV84510A.15A.0008.P03.0108231035

BIOS Release Date: 08/23/2001

BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

urgh.... too many decisions lol

Given I do not know your budget and a lot of this is what I am thinking about but I dont have loads of cash so...yah
right now my buget is slim. need to recover from xmas still. but i think when i start getting extra cash a may buy one part at a time.

CANT BELIEVE YOU ARENT SATISFIED WITH YOUR BLOODY GF4! lol
i really do love my new card but i know it will only hold me till the end of the summer if it is lucky. its just that the FX is going to run about $800 canadian so i need to wait for the price to drop.

here is some info i found for the mobo i have now. doesn't mean much to me though.

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Model: D845HV

Version: AAA63931-304

BIOS Vendor: Intel Corp.

BIOS Version: HV84510A.15A.0008.P03.0108231035

BIOS Release Date: 08/23/2001

BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

lol, hard for me to choose too! I figured for me to upgrademy new sys it would be around $800 for a decent new CPU from AMD, new mobo and FX card. I dont ge tmoney so bare with me, but why don't you send somebody down here $400 and let them buy the new FX card and send it up to you for $400 cheaper? Oh, and cant be upgraded one part at a time, you can buy 1 at a time but a new Socket 754 mobo wont help you with a Socket 478 CPU but I can see the GFX card though ;) Do you have more than one system?