Windows 10 TP updated to 10041 from 9926

Papa6

wwnk2v.png

Windows 10TP has moved from 9926 to 10041 and A LOT of changes have been made since 9926. some of the first signs of changes are the WIFI / Internet connection indicators moved from the low left to low right which is nicely out of the way. the start menu is now transparent.

You can also go into settings to add indicators for skype, xbox and weather apparently on the lock screen. I'll continue to update this thread as time goes on. I'll beat the crap out of this build gaming it and also, there appeared to be an issue with the WDDM 2 and Nvidia 349.65 driver that was downloaded via the update feature in 9926. It seems whatever was wrong, has been addressed and comes immediately AFTER you install 10041 build and go to update it.

more to come. You'll see what the new start menu looks like in the screenshot below. screen below is of 10036 but is basically the same as 10041.

Papa6

screen_shot_2015-03-14_at_11.08.18_am_st

Edited by Papa6
  • Like 2

I did find a small Nvidia driver issue, for me, wasn't a deal breaker. It says windows update had an error but verifying this against the Nvidia Experience app showed it did in fact, get updated successfully.

the highly expected Spartan browser "was" supposed to ship with this build but did not due to internal testing and work to get it ready.

10041 has broken GR.net on me to post links and pictures so i have to use the actual (%7Boption%7D and URL tags :(

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1250466-be-aware-of-this-nvidia-driver-issue/#entry596787600

Edited by Papa6

Wombat, I can't use the quote button either to quote your post. I'll attribute my issue to probably 10041. or maybe not... I'm on google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.89 m (64-bit)

Edited by Papa6

UPDATE 3/18/2015 3:49PM

I just tried a map I'm working on for a LAN mission and with the update to the fixed driver from Nvidia 349.65 games run extremely smooth.

to my understanding, Microsoft apparently had the Nvidia driver (349.65) revoked due to some issue while we were still using build 9926. it has come to my attention that, it would seem that the fixed driver and issue has been resolved for this build which tells me that, all gamers should be extremely happy about expecting a truly great gaming experience. The DX12 code stack is still churcning out high FPS in games we otherwise knew to be eating up frames per second.

• Like 1

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-10041-mail-calendar-and-people-not-opening-heres-how-you-fix-it

Windows 10 10041: Mail, Calendar and People not opening, here's how you fix it (Thanks to Adrian Potoroaca of Neowin.net)

If you haven’t been living under a rock, you probably know that Microsoft has released a new build to Insiders on the ‘fast’ ring.. Although this build has some newly-added functionality and several bug fixes, it’s still a little rough compared to previous releases, and there are quite a few known annoyances that you’ll have to live with if you happen to install it outside of a virtual machine.

One of the biggest problems of Windows 10 build 10041 affects the Mail, Calendar, and People apps. It’s very likely that they will not open after you upgrade to the new build because there are some problems with licensing in the new Store Beta. Fortunately, there is an easy fix by following these steps:

• Open Powershell as administrator (by right-clicking on the windows button).
  • Copy and paste this in the window: Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
  • Click Enter to run
  • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the old Store (the one with the green tile).

As always, we don’t recommend using this build as your daily driver, especially since it’s a ‘fast’ ring; you can read about all the known issues here.

There has been a change, which in most opinions is a good change to the overall default icon packs for windows 10 as well. The recycle Bin was the most hated icon of the more recent builds but has been improved. Yes you will be able to change to custom icons as you wish in the retail / release build.

1_screen_shot_2015-03-18_at_11.28.46_am_

Edited by Papa6

I'm having issues with the Nvidia driver 349.65 and the game Dying Light. the devs are looking into the issue and a fix should be forth coming soon.

Nvidias website for downloading doesn't offer a Windows 10 option for downloading for an operating system (yet)

UPDATE 3/20/2015 8:45AM

I got the newest update which took me from the 349.65 driver to the 349.90 driver. It had created issues with my favorite game not working but I'm not freaking out. Techland who devs dying light is working on a fix.

The latest 10041 Nvidia driver update

2rw6wso.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I use it but does your IE even work? mine wont fire up. I think it will if I right click it and run as admin but not the main way. Also I installed Sum Of All FEars and it doesn't want to start for some reason. I'll grab the error code here once installed again (new hard drive arrived)

Edited by twcrash

• 3 months later...

I'm seeing a lot of confusion at neowin.net about this free upgrade to windows 10. let me explain;

from what I'm gathering, we can reserve a copy for free, then on the 29th, it will install as an upgrade on our win 7/8/8.1 systems. Here lies the big question: is MS going to offer us an .iso copy to create a DVD or usb stick for clean installs for the future?

what I'm getting and this sounds like total rubbish, you get the free upgrade install originally, but if that install goes to garbage and you need to clean install windows 10, there's no garauntee from MS on an .iso copy. BUT!, there was a new piece that said someone, perhaps related to MS will offer usb sticks to clean install windows 10 for two price tags, $119 for the lower version and $179-$199 for the pro version, not sure exactly from memory but one must purchase the damn OS. This is purely by what I'm understanding. then updates will be via a new software as a service system redstone whereby issue will be upgraded.

I don't think I like what I'm seeing overall. I and others were lead to believe, because 8/8.1 were such disgraces that we could get an .iso file upfront and the story ends happy. we are 6 days away from the release and neowin users are still wondering what is going on and how this this going to pan out.

Edited by Papa6
  • Like 1

I'm confused. I understand from the 29th of July we have one year to upgrade to Win 10 for free.

I hope that the upgrade does not happen automatically on the 29th. I hope I can initiate the process of upgrading on my own at the time of my choosing.

Another concern is that I would like to get a 500 G SSD. Can I clone or transfer Windows 10 from an HHD to SSD if I choose to.

Or should I reinstall Win 7 to the new SSD before upgrading to Win 10.

I have read several articles and watched some YT videos but it still seems very unclear.

• Like 1

I'm confused. I understand from the 29th of July we have one year to upgrade to Win 10 for free.

I hope that the upgrade does not happen automatically on the 29th. I hope I can initiate the process of upgrading on my own at the time of my choosing.

Another concern is that I would like to get a 500 G SSD. Can I clone or transfer Windows 10 from an HHD to SSD if I choose to.

Or should I reinstall Win 7 to the new SSD before upgrading to Win 10.

I have read several articles and watched some YT videos but it still seems very unclear.

ok at neowin, there's a lot of talk about how the upgrade will be an ESD system see link HERE. with this program, you can create an .iso file from those files and have the necessary media to do future installs. a way around MS and their uncertainty

• Like 1

From what i've heard wombat it will download the upgrade if you reserved it, then you can install the upgrade in your own time

in my post above or HERE you can turn those upgrade files into an .iso file to make a media install legally. it has a tutorial on how to accomplish this.

This.

From what i've heard wombat it will download the upgrade if you reserved it, then you can install the upgrade in your own time

in my post above or HERE you can turn those upgrade files into an .iso file to make a media install legally. it has a tutorial on how to accomplish this.

That's great, thanks - but what it the official microsoft stance on users who run the free upgrade, and then subsequently need to do a clean install - what do they say about that? There must be a FAQ somewhere ,,,,

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is an update 1-31-2016 on Windows 10

Build : 10586:71

current state of OS: The OS is/has become VERY stable, very fast in terms of boot up times, be aware the more bootup cruft, like Steam, origin, or uPlay will probably extend the boot time. however, I have all three and only steam boots up on startup and I get 30-45 second boot up times.

issues to be aware of: as of this build or 2 before, ROCKY has made me aware that a DLL issue prevents us now from playing OGR as we used to. even the blooming effects mod doesn't seem to work anymore in getting around this.

the overall look of the OS hasn't been changed, Microsoft has stated emphatically that, internal stability and fixes of file issues are their priority at this point. I WILL say that they are pushing everyone to Windows 10. Microsoft in past versions supported older windows but they will NO LONGER support new hardware updates for Windows 7 or 8, no mention of 8.1 as I've heard. I'll reiterate that, on another thread about Wildlands, I made mention of the 100% possibility that we all will have to be on Windows 10 to achieve full satisfaction of wildlands. I think you might be able to play it on Windows 7 or 8/8.1 but the inherent problem that will arise is, as new graphic cards advance till the release date, everything will go to Directx12 which again I mentioned that Directx12 is strictly a Windows 10 OS gaming technology. the days of downloading the latest DirectX seem to be over and there will be NO release of DX12 for prior OS'es. 

DX12 : I will state that besides it being a Windows 10 exclusive tech that, It has a refined code base meaning it has been tweaked and improved to the point that lag should be almost a mute subject. Since new cards coming out will all be DX12, Windows 10 will be a requirement. 

Redstone: Link ok here's the low down on redstone updates. there will be two for 2016. Microsoft has changed the way it does major updates and they have been labeled Redtsone. Redstone will be 2 this year and will be summer and fall(in time for wildlands release), they will feature hardware updates for hololens and other hardware updates as videocards and other hardware improve. Remember: Summer and Fall.

IF the release date of Wildlands gets pushed back into 2017, I'd still advise people to upgrade their systems to the new Skylake CPU, the 6th Generation fo Intels consumer/gaming CPU albeit there has been a small issue but Intel has a bios update to remedy this issue. LINK to Skylake issue report . I would think upgrading to the Skylake CPU will be just fine as the issue seems to be caused by one application named "GIMPS Prime95 " But Intel again has an update to fix the issue. So feel free and safe to upgrade to skylake CPU's and get ready for Wildlands. with CPU's being so ahead of the curve, if you have a top of the line CPU, upgrading the graphic card should be the only issue for us to improve playing Wildlands.

I'm running an Intel i7 4700MQ CPU at 2.4 GHZ with 3GB Nvidia M700 mobile card and rcoking star wars battlefront deluxe edition smooth as butter again, thanks to DX12.

I'll update this as I learn more and see improvements in the 10 OS.

-cheers,

Papa6

Edited by Papa6

• 1 month later...

Update: 3-5-2016

I'm running build 10586.122 and I'm understanding build 14279 is on the fast ring (unstable) being tested. I'm keeping my laptop on the release preview ring since, those builds are clean, stable as hell and ready for production machines. There have been many stability fixes and with 14279 here's what is planned on being fixed;

irst up, here's what been fixed:

We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge and Cortana were crashing for users with roaming profiles.
We fixed an issue where Cortana would continue to show reminders that have been completed.
We fixed an issue where items copied/moved to the desktop would not display until the desktop is manually refreshed by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing “Refresh” or pressing F5.
We fixed an issue where downloading certain drivers from Windows Update was causing some PCs to bluescreen.

Here is what MS is cautioning on for those trying to use 14279 as of right now (known issues);

We’re investigating an issue in which some Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book devices experience a freeze or hang and all input such as keyboard/trackpad and touch do not work. The workaround is to hold down the power button to force the device to hard-reboot.
We are continuing to track several issues reported by Insiders where some PCs will freeze or bluescreen when resuming from hibernation. Disabling hibernation is a workaround in some cases until this is fixed.
If you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Internet Security, or the Kaspersky Total Security Suite installed on your PC there is a known driver bug that prevents these programs from working as expected in builds from the Development Branch. We are partnering with Kaspersky to fix this issue for a future release, but at this time there are no known workarounds. While this issue is present, we recommend using Windows Defender or another third party anti-virus product of your choice to remain protected.
Turning on the “always show all icons in the notification area” setting disrupts the layout of the notification area (“systray”). Your notification area will look out of alignment.
We are seeing reports of crashes with apps such as QQ crashing due to an OS reliability issue we are currently investigating. This bug is also impacting older apps such as Windows Live Mail and Expression Encoder 4.

Microsoft is saying to NOT install 14279 unless you're ready for the known issues..

-Papa6