Warning! Security risk with GRFS and other Ubi games

There's a major security flaw in the Uplay browser plugin that comes with recent Ubisoft games. If you have installed GRFS or any of the other Ubisoft games listed in the article, you should take action immediately. Full details in the article below:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/30/psa-possible-security-risk-in-some-ubisoft-pc-games/

The thing is, Uplay underwent a major revision only a few weeks ago, should have been caught then.

Reading some of the chat on coder forums, it sounds like a pretty basic error that was made somewhere down the line.

Remember when Ubi used some hacker code to fix a problem a while back, I think that still tops the list of embarrasing Ubisoft FUBARs.

They downloaded a cracked *.exe file for Vegas and released it for the Steam version because the people who bought it off of Steam couldn't play because of the DRM.

UBI didn't initially release a dedicated server *.exe for Vegas either. Eventually someone in the community "made" one, UBI eventually released what was necessary to have dedicated servers, it turned out to be the same as the community made one.

I still scratch my head as to how UBI is still as successful as they are. Of course you take Assassin's Creed out of the equation and they don't have much to show as far as profits go.

The Ubisoft PC release of Gurfus reminds me of Homer Simpson falling off the cliff where he hits every impossible to hit bump on the way down, and then even more after breaking every bone in his body on the way to the Hospital... I've reached a point where I'm more feeling bad for the company, then upset or disappointed as they're already such a target of ridicule and ire.

:/

They downloaded a cracked *.exe file for Vegas and released it for the Steam version because the people who bought it off of Steam couldn't play because of the DRM.

Yeh that was it thanks lol.

they are truly dying.

But that's the irony of their situation, they are far from dying, they are exceeding their own forecasts.

yep!

they also allegedly used a Ripped soundtrack in one of the Assasins Creed CEs, can't remember which one could have been number 2.

I'm really laughing at Ubisoft right now, they put these disgraceful DRMs out to "prevent piracy" but in retrospect they are bloody supporting the ######!

Ubisoft are failing miserably here, part of me wants them to slip up and go bankrupt. but part of me wants them to stay on and redeem themselves.

But that's the irony of their situation, they are far from dying, they are exceeding their own forecasts.

the sad but true story of corruption unfortunately :'(

As for Ghost Recon. Number 1, will always be number 1 ;)

Just felt like putting it out there. Food for thought I suppose!

Edited by Zeealex

Yeh that was it thanks lol.

they are truly dying.

or.. they are playing their cards right by tanking Pc development to justify...oh... strictly console only.

Nice, first they give us a broken game now this? Well that's it for me, i'm getting rid of all my ubisoft games!

A bit overkill dude, the issue was resolved within hours. Have you any idea how long Microsoft have sat on some security issues with Windows before patching them? You don't go and uninstall windows though do you? The same could be said of just about any software vendor, dealing with security issues is a daily occurrance, and Ubisoft dealt with this one swiftly.

So enjoy your games, it's a done deal :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, first they give us a broken game now this? Well that's it for me, i'm getting rid of all my ubisoft games!

A bit overkill dude, the issue was resolved within hours. Have you any idea how long Microsoft have sat on some security issues with Windows before patching them? You don't go and uninstall windows though do you? The same could be said of just about any software vendor, dealing with security issues is a daily occurrance, and Ubisoft dealt with this one swiftly.

So enjoy your games, it's a done deal :)

you know ubisoft didn't send out any emails warning people of this problem as soon as they found out. thats a failure to notify of a big problem. i only found out about by going through forums im registered at. ubisoft has to have the email records of people who have registered games like splinter cell conviction. iv'e taken splinter cell conviction off my pc to be safe for now i don't fancy keeping it installed only to find some other problem show up with the uplay thing. oh and when iv'e gone to play it coop after say five to ten minutes of playing it decides to crash or it takes forever to be able to to join a friends request. uplay is a buggy thing look at the problems people have with ghost recon future soldier on pc.