Ghost Recon on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later

• 4 months later...

I'm currently putting together an updated version of the wrapper that implements the latest Wineskin release, and I'd love to have some feedback on how the current one is working for you guys, e.g. whether you encountered any problems with it, what you think of the helper app I included with the last release, or what you'd like to see implemented or changed in the next version.

:hi:

I am on OS X 10.9.5 and I can get it to install (by luck rather than judgement) but I cannot save the campaign and when I quit to do something else i have to reinstall when i want to play again. That means I have to start fromMission 1 every time!

I agree that the idiots' guides should be a little clearer (as in what screens or message boxes to expect).

I am very appreciative of the people who have done this much already to allow me to breathe life into the old dog so i am not complaining!

If someone could do a chain of screenshots for each stage I would be able to get my stone-age brain to do it the same way each time.

It plays awesome on a Thunderbolt screen though.

OK, fantastic. Got the wineskin to download and all sorted. Started mission 1 and get a "lying on my back in a spinning room" view as soon as it starts. Anyone have any idea what is happening and what to do? What about uninstall and re-install for a start? Will try that tomorrow.

Help!

What you describe may be caused by the implemented quartz override which is required for movie playback. Try running the included helper app on the wrapper again and have it disable movie playback when asked. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks. My next problem is that as far as I can tell the GR Wrapper is installed correctly but the helper app will not go beyond an opening alert message.

For this reason I cannot go and reset the thing you explained.

Or should I uninstall everything and see if I can do it next time round?

What is the alert message? Can't it find the wrapper?

If you followed the included installation instructions, the wrapper called "Ghost Recon" (don't rename it!) should be located in your main Applications folder - that's where the helper app looks for it and checks whether GR is properly installed inside.

a lot of the problem is that I get lost very quickly and I think the level of assumed knowledge is higher than i possess. I need to know what i do when I see the GR disc on my desktop and the wrapper is in the downloads folder. I assume I drag the GR icon into the applications folder but I have no idea what i do next! I don't even know what i am supposed to click.

I suspect my system is not doing something that you guys expect it to.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Desert Siege and Island Thunder are no mods, they are official expansion packs for the game that come with their own installers and update patches. Instructions to install the expansions as well as mods can be found in the documentation (ReadMe.txt) included with the wrapper. If you need more help, please let me know.

• 3 months later...

Updated the wrapper with latest CX engine and loads of new enhancements. Verified on a couple of different Macs with various versions of OS X, including 10.10.3 Yosemite. Yes, the new wrapper finally works on the latest and greatest Mac OS X!

The included Helper application has a couple of new features too, like support for the Igor Game Editor, mod management etc.

• Like 2

Oops, had a little bug in there that prevented installing from local executables. Updated the wrapper again with a quick fix for now (new version 2015.4.22), but I might as well rewrite the whole messy thing (it was pretty much thrown together in a hurry, so far) e.g. to enable the GOG and Steam versions of Ghost Recon in a future release.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the bump, Rocky. I've updated the wrapper again (current version 2016-10-18) e.g. to be fully macOS 10.12 Sierra compatible. Integrated the helper app for easier usage. There's a noticeable graphics performance boost in this one, but also a little instability that can cause a freeze when returning to the menu. It's no deal breaker, but I'm working on a fix, nonetheless.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi.  I'm trying to get GR Original running on a Macbook 12" running Sierra 10.12.3.  I downloaded the latest GR Wrapper from this site.  I also have the original GR disc.  A side note - I also have copies of Desert Siege and Island Thunder and would love to get those and other maps/mods working but I figured I'd just try and get the original to work first.  A few years ago, I used the wrapper found here and (with help from the GR community) got it to work.

1.  So I copy the Wrapper into my Applications folder.  

2.  Then I mount the original GR disc.

3.  Then I open the Ghost Recon application and go through the set up process.

4.  I point the Wrapper to the setup.exe executable in the mounted disc.

5.  All seems to work okay, except for when I finally try to play the game it briefly shows up as an icon on my Dock bar, then disappears.

If interested, I have a short video of my setup process here.

BTW, I tried this on my wife's Macbook Air and the same thing happened.  

• 10 months later...

Check now until Christmas for ApexMods to make an appearance. He knows all about it but I'm not a Mac user so have no clue.
If you have his mod Heroes Unleashed VERSION     "1.0.0b9" there is a wrapper in it in the Xtras folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost Recon\Mods\Heroes Unleashed\XTRAS\GR Wineskin Wrapper for Mac

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, DropBox seems to have broken all my download links, including the wrapper. The one inside the Heroes Unleashed XTRAS folder should still wok on Mac OS X 10.12.x Sierra, and I'm currently working on a new one, which I'll try on 10.13 High Sierra soon. Hope I get the DropBox issues sorted out shortly, too.

• 1 month later...