Sony admit sensitive data may be stolen from PSN accounts

Rocky

Wow, I just read the "Welcome Back" message on PSN (how crazy is that, a Welcome Back message, after being hacked, geeez), anyway, the two free games they are giving away are actually pretty good games! I thought they would be crappy.

There's a choice of 5, including Little Big Planet and Wipeout HD/Fury - that's the two I'll be going for.

Also, additionally, if you have a PSP, they are giving away a title for that too!

I always wanted Wipeout HD, so this is good news :)

My credit card company sent me a replacement card today, along with a letter stating that the old one is being cancelled, due to the company's suspicion that my card may be at risk for fraud. The only thing I use this card for is to pay my Sony Online Entertainment subscription fee. I'm seriously considering switching to game cards, rather than giving them yet another CC number.

• 2 weeks later...

I added WipeOut HD + Fury and InFamous in my cart but it says I don't have funds.....I thought this was free?

How do I proceed?

I think we'll need to wait for the e-mail for a redeem code or something...?

I really don't know what's wrong with this company. This time you can actually download the entire database from the hackers. I'm really considering to do it just to check if my data is in there, too. :pirate:

This is the movie part of Sony yeh?

It's really becoming a bit of a joke this, I don;t know if I like the hackers for exposing this absurd lack of security, or I hate them because they are messing with my PS3.

We see this a lot these days, people in position of influence or power displaying remarkable levels of incompetance.

This is just getting crazy now.

Keep us up to date with it Apex!

ps Are you going to sift through that 700Mb e-mail pack and bring us a summary :lol:

Sony has been hacked, again! Once again, they've been caught using unencrypted, plain-text customer data. Hopefully, the Suits at Sony will eventually figure out that they need to start taking security precautions. That, or the company is going to go under, IMO.

WOOOHOOO!

Dear,PlayStation Network user

We’re pleased to let you know that access to PlayStation®Store on PlayStation®3, PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) and on PC via Media Go has now been restored.

img_content1.jpg

To thank you for your patience whilst we improved the service, all eligible PlayStation®Network account holders* can take part in our Welcome Back programme** which includes:

A selection of PS3â„¢ and PSPâ„¢ games to download for free from PlayStation Store.

LOGGING ON FOR wIPEOUT hd VERY SOON............!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This appeared in the Brittish press today

"Police arrest potential LulzSec member

21/06/2011 - 2:23pm GMT

Officers of the UK Metropolitan Police have arrested a 19-year-old man in Wickford, Essex, on suspicion of his involvement with the recent hacking of various high-profile websites and games services.

A spokesperson told Develop that the police "will examine the individual for any Sony data", confirming this was in relation to the recent PlayStation Network breach that led to the personal information of over 70 million accounts being compromised.

The Metropolitan Police state that the "the arrest follows an investigation into network intrusions and Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks against a number of international business and intelligence agencies by what is believed to be the same hacking group."

While LulzSec have attacked gaming websites - including those of Minecraft, EVE Online, and League of Legends - the group has also attacked sites such as the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency.

No direct link with LulzSec has been formally made, but the Metropolitan Police confirmed to Develop that the man was "specifically charged in connection with a DDOS attack on the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) website."

LulzSec has previously suggested it was responsible for the attack on the SOCA website.

The unnamed teenager was charged for both offences relating to the Computer Misuse Act and Fraud Act offences, and currently remains in custody for questioning at a London police station.

Following the arrest last night, the police have unearthed "a significant amount of material

"

Update ********

22 June 2011 01:08pm

A British teenager has been charged with carrying out a hacking attack against the website of the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency.

Ryan Cleary, 19, is also accused of launching attacks on the websites of music bodies the British Phonographic Industry and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.

He will appear in custody at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday charged with a total of five offences under the Criminal Law and Computer Misuse Acts, said Scotland Yard.

Cleary, was arrested at his family's home in South Beech Avenue, Wickford, Essex, yesterday as part of a Scotland Yard and FBI probe into LulzSec, a group which has claimed responsibility for hacking attempts on the Serious Organised Crime Agency, the US Senate and the CIA. LulzSec has denied that the teenager was a member of the group.

Cleary is charged with conspiring with other people on or before June 20 to create a remotely-controlled network of zombie computers, known as a "botnet", to carry out distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks, where websites are flooded with traffic to make them crash. He is accused of launching a DDoS attack on the Serious Organised Crime Agency's website on June 20.

The teenager is also alleged to have carried out similar attacks against the British Phonographic Industry's website on October 29 last year and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry's website on November 28 last year.

The Serious Organised Crime Agency, the British Phonographic Industry and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry all have their headquarters in London. It is understood that investigations are continuing into other alleged hacking attacks in the UK and abroad.

It had been claimed that LulzSec had stolen the entire 2011 UK census database, but this has been denied by the group and by the Office for National Statistics.

Census director Glen Watson said: "I can reassure the public that their census records are secure. We have strict measures in place protecting the nation's census information.

"The claim that hackers got in looks like a hoax and our investigation concluded that there is no sign of any suspicious activity. The alleged hackers have also denied any involvement."

© The Press Association

:thumbsup:

Yeh I saw that too. The guy is apparantly a bit of a compter nerd and sits infront of his PC virtually all night, what a loner.

Oh wait. 0:)

This is the second brit to be invovled in high profile hacking, remember McKinnon for Glasgow. The US are still trying to extradite him I think.