Graphic Card Advice/Help

Guest [Ac][d]Cobblers

Guest [Ac][d]Cobblers

Hi to all,

From Dabs.com I will be buying a new GF4 Ti4600 128MB AGP RP VO DVI whatever those extra letters mean for £205 (including VAT).

I know this card is 128MB but I currently have an ATI Redeon 7200 64MB card, will I notice much difference do you think in frames per sec and qulaity of pic?

And how long do you think this card is likely to keep me going? The next year, or maybe two?

Thanks for any help!

Cobs

Guest [Ac][d]Cobblers

But I'm a bit ignorant regards hardware etc, but is this one of the better cards available at the moment? Or is there anything better for the same amount of money?

Thanks again.

Acid,

You should see a signifcant difference with that upgrade. Not much difference in performance between all the cards using the Ti 4600 chipset and it's still, even with the Radeon 9700 out, a very fast chipset. All in all, number two on the speed list right now next to the 9700. It'll throw out some solid frame rates. Probably max out near 100 or so (or refresh rate).

Edited by 300Mag

Guest [Ac][d]Cobblers

Thanks for your help there guys.

I just had to make sure that this card isn't gonna be one of those that someone would have said "ooo, you should have got this one instead". I know that the Radeon 9700 is the tops at the mo, and the price reflects it, but as I couldn't see myself paying almost £300 for the ATI I thought I'd go with the Geforce instead. Can't wait to get it now. My GR days of medium spec graphics are gone!! Now doubt this will keep me stuck to my computer for a little while to come! :)

Again thanks for all who helped.

Cobs

your right Rook every test id seen so far was without AA enabled did some digging and tho the 9500 pro scores less than the ti4600 ( at least a 1000 points on madonion) once AA is enabled its a totaly diferent story cant find a 9500 non pro test so far is the 9700 simply a downtuned 9700 ? too many new cards too confusing.

heres a good link to a full test of multiple cards some interesting reading

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021...on_9500-08.html

brif summary that led to my opinion tho it might be wrong or out of date

At a selling price expected to be around $199 US, there is no doubt that the Radeon 9500 PRO is an attractive product, although it can't come close to delivering the performance of the Radeon 9700. Under normal circumstances it is slower than a GeForce 4 Ti 4600. However, it is an ideal card for anyone looking for good performance with anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing.

It certainly provides stiff competition for the NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti 4200-8x, which is already well established in this price category (street price between $170 and $200). If you are looking for good performance at a reasonable price, the Radeon 9500 PRO should be your first choice.

Be wary of the Radeon 9500 (without PRO). Although no samples of this card have been available for testing, we would expect the pixel pipeline restriction to adversely affect its performance. Look into this carefully if you are considering buying.

The poor showing of the Radeon 9500 PRO in the 3D Mark 2001 SE single texturing fill rate benchmarks is curious. Some more research is needed to find out exactly what the problem is here.

Edited by snakebite1967

lol ill take that argument stinger , but seriously so many new card types coming out its hard to get an unbiased opinion i guess ive cruised a few reviews now and im still not sure sharkies extreme says its a good value for money card but is equal to a ti 4400 even tho their test set up shows it beating the ti4600 in most tests i give up, for the price i think the 9500 pro will sell well and possibly help ATI take the middle ground market that at present is held by nvidia

Right now I have the TI4400 and its a pretty solid card. Go ahead and buy the ti4600 since the price is reasonable...it'll last you through this year I'm sure. I'm currently saving to upgrade more and plan on buying either a 9700 or FX when it comes out. IMO the ti4600 is best for the buck...but take a look at the 9500 anyway.

speaking of the 9700 does it have it's own fan ? because there is now software out there ( rather than soldering on the board, one mistake and screwed) to tweak a 9700 to a 9700pro but if the regular 9700 doesn't have a fan you would blow the card would ya not?

Edited by =UAL=Havok

Seeing as every gfx card since the gf3 and Radeon 8500 have had fans, I'm positive it does. If it didn't, alls you would have to do is mount a standard pc fan over the gpu heatsink and plug it into your psu.
Nope, my GF4 MX440 SE had only heatsink, then I added more heatsinks, then I added fan. :D