need a new pc....

natsanwa

hey guy's,

well... just wanted to know if it's possible to get a decent enough pc for ABOUT £500. UK. could go alittle over, but not much. ideally, would run graw 2 and so on. i have no idea about this sort of thing, so all advice would be great.

hope you can help.

cheers nat

[Thread moved to the Computer Discussions forum]

Edited by Pave Low

Hi Nat,

I have recently built myself a new PC and still have my old one kicking around (I kept it "just in case" until I proved my new one was bug free)

However, its a bit low on spec.

And I will need to wipe the disk and reload XP

Its an Athlon 939 port (but only single core)

And it only takes a mere 10 minutes to boot :rocky:

Actually that may be improved because it has 3 disks now (but only 1 fast one thats not the system disk)

OK, its a bit of a duffer but nothing+ P&P is a lot cheaper than £500

Let me know if youre interested

Phlook 0:)

hey guy's, been looking at this. would this do?

thanks phlook, ill keep that offer in mind. gonna look around a bit see what i can dig up. but may very well take you up on that offer.

Edited by natsanwa

hey guy's

does anyone know if this pc will actually run graw 2? just need to check. hope someone can help. cheers.

nat

Specification

Galaxy III Case, Built in blue LED illuminating side Window pane and 500Watt PSU

Intel Q8200 1333Mhz FSB Quad core Processor.

Asus Intel® G31 chipset P5KPL-AM Motherboard.

500Gb SATAII 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive.

2Gb DDR2 800Mhz memory (1x 2048Mb).

22x Dual Layer Lightscribe DVD Re-Writer.

nVidia GeForce 1024Mb 9400GT Graphics Card.

8 Channel High Definition Audio.

Multimedia Memory Card Reader.

Integrated LAN 10/100 Network Card.

Wireless 54Mbps Network Card.

7 USB2.0 Ports (4 Rear, 3 Front).

Expansion Slots - 1x PCI-Express Graphics, 1x PCI-E, 2x PCI, 4x SATA, 1x IDE, 1x Fdd IDE.

External Connectivity - 7x USB2.0, 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x RJ45 Lan, 2x PS2, 1x Speaker, 1x Mic, 1x Line In.

Features

Edited by natsanwa

hey, thanks wombat. got a bit depressed about it all yesterday. but todays a new day. guess ill give it a try when it turns up. anyhow, i still have [GR], and i suppose i can always upgrade my ram and graphics card. when you have bills and rent to pay, these thing's are just so darn expensive though. ahhh, ill sort it some way or another. :thumbsup:

for future, if i add another 2gig of ram and upgrade to the 9800gt card, would that do the trick?

cheers mate

nat

also....

with my current specs how would it fare on these two games...

cod 4

armed assault.

anyone know?

cheers

nat

Edited by natsanwa

for future, if i add another 2gig of ram and upgrade to the 9800gt card, would that do the trick?

The 8800GT is still holding out well TBH, and is a fair price. Have 1 myself and run GRAW2 / Cod4/5 on full settings. But if you have the money, get something better.

with my current specs how would it fare on these two games...

cod 4

armed assault.

A Review I spotted...

nVidia GeForce 1024Mb 9400GT

1 GB of DDR2 memory may sound useful to the novice, but in reality it does not make any difference if the card has 256 MB or 1024 MB of video memory. As soon as you crank up the resolution beyond 1024x768 the missing shading power of the card results in unplayable framerates.

Good luck

wow. when it comes to thing's like this - it really show's how little i know about pc's.... :unsure:

ok, in order to upgrade my machine, would someone be willing to post a list of cards that i could buy in order to run graw2?

my mistake was.... 'geforce 7/8 or higher' - me being an idiot, assumed the '9400' was higher. (how stupid am i?)

anyway, if someone could manage a list - price low to high, that would help no end. sorry for my stupidity, but i just like building models and never really got into the technical side of thing's. my bad.

thanks in advance.

nat

If you look at the pinned topics in this section there's one by Rocky:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42265

It's a little out of date but at least you can get an idea.

If you're looking for prices, I would just checkout newegg. Search for the cards you're thinking about and jot down the price.

Edited by firefly2442

Everything about your build seems okay except for the video card. You really need to break out there WAY more if you want to play the games you listed...especially Armed Assault.

If, for example, your budget was locked to the total dollars spent listed above, I would do the following:

- ditch the Q8200 for an E5200. That chip is called a Pentium but its the same bullcrap they pulled with the E21XX series. The E5200 is a Core 2 Duo Wolfdale albeit with only 2MB of cache (a Wolfdale in sheep's clothing you could say - ouch! :lol: ) The E5200 is only $70 versus $165 for the Q8200. BTW, the E5200 can be overclocked on "good air" to 3.8-4.0 Ghz (if you're in to that. And Armed Assault would love you for that!) You could always update your cpu later and you're not out a lot of money.

- take the money you saved above and get a good midrange (at least) video card. ATI still owns the midrange. An HD4830, HD4850 or HD4870 would give you better gaming performance than any equivalently priced Nvidia card (and that's from an Nvidia guy!). Prices on those ATI cards have fallen considerably.

Also, if possible, I'd recommend a P35 chipset mainboard over the G31 but that would add a bit to your expense.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

hey guy's,

thanks to everyone for the help and advice!! will use the comments when i update what i have already.

but for now....

got my new comp, put in graw 2 - all works peachy! i even uped the resolution and it's still fine. maybe im just lucky. will still get extra ram and new card though. but it's ok for now.

also.... a friend came over and managed to help me pull all my data off my old hard-drive. so i'm pretty sure all my max models and gr content is still good to go. sweet.

new stuff from me asap.

thanks again everyone. you all rule.

nat