Prince Of Persia Fo Pc: No Drm

krise madsen

Son of a...

There are a few things in life I wouldn't have expected. One of them is Ubisoft releasing a major game without any DRM.

It has happened nonetheless. The new Prince of Persia game for PC has no DRM. I repeat. Ubisoft's new Prince of Persia game has no DRM.

So I'm going to do something I haven't done in a long, long time. And hadn't expected to do anytime soon, if ever: I'm going to buy a Ubisoft game.

I don't know if it's any good. The genre certainly isn't my cup of tea. Heck, I'm pretty sure it won't run on my laptop. None of that matters.

I'm one of those who have been very vocal about the futility of DRM. So I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and buy it. And I encourage every one of you to do the same. This isn't about whether you want the game or not. It's about being able to affect the DRM issue in a positive way for a change. Buy it. Make lots of money for Ubisoft and keep your fingers crossed that it is the beginning of a trend. A trend of dropping useless DRM.

Because if we turn our backs to a major publishers when they do something right for a change, then we have no business yapping on about how useless DRM is. This is a golden opportunity that won't come often, and we need to seize it. By voting with our wallets.

Buy Ubisofts Prince of Persia for PC!

(Damn, I can't believe I just wrote that!)

Respectfully

krise madsen

Buy Ubisofts Prince of Persia for PC!

(Damn, I can't believe I just wrote that!)

Respectfully

krise madsen

Neither can I Krise. Do you realise just how bizarre what you are proposing is?

Yes I do. However, the forum swear filter does not permit me to express in words...

Seriously though, if you had suggested just a few hours ago that I would be recommending, no urging people to buy a Ubisoft game, I would have called you both crazy and stupid, with some other words that the swear filter don't like either.

EDIT: Prince of Persia Website

Respectfully

krise madsen

Edited by krise madsen

That's not really what I meant - it was the reasoning I find astonishing.

That we should be encouraged to buy a game not because it may be great, good or even indifferent, but simply because it has no DRM?

Oh, I see now, sorry. Well, it's because we might never get a chance like this again. Ubisoft has thrown down the gauntlet. It's actually less about supporting Ubi and more about saving ourselves. Because if the sales vs. pirate downloads ratio of Prince of Persia is measurably worse than other games, then DRM protests loose all credibility.

It's even kind of a cheap trick. Using just a single game as yardstick isn't fair. It ought to be a range of non-DRM games across genres and types; from small casual games to big AAA titles. From niche games to mainstream blockbusters. And with "No DRM!" featured as heavily in advertising as other features of the games.

Nonetheless, this is Ubi saying "Oh yeah? Prove it!". And they fully expect Prince of Persia to fail. To be pirated to hell and back, and sell in ridiculously small numbers. And then we will all have to just shut up and eat whatever draconian DRM publishers come up with.

Respectfully

krise madsen

The most obvious way to look at this from a customer's point of view is that no matter how good or bad the game is, Ubisoft will declare this to be proof on how DRM is actually good.

If the game tanks, they will shout "Piracy is to blame! See, we can prove it now!"

If the game doesn't tank, they'll claim that it would have done better with DRM, since it's obvious that there would have been more retail sales if they had DRM to protect them from the pirates.

It's a lose/lose from a customer's point of view, which is a right shame because it could have been exactly the kick in the pants for the games industry and gamers alike.

Now that someone else has posted something about this, I want to say that Ms_Kleaneasy posted about this on the Ubi forums more than a week ago. This news was met with less than stellar enthusiasm. When I posted about it here in a staff forum, it was met with similar results.

I don't know, maybe it is the game itself or the fact that gamers know that they are caught in a no win situation with Ubi as far as this goes like Dannik said.

Ubi could have tried this with a bigger or different title for better results and then we could have seen whether or not it was worth it for Ubi. I have seen at least one review of this lastest PoP that wasn't well recieved (can't remember where it was now though but if I find it again will post it). As I am not a PoP fan, I really wasn't bothered by the lack of DRM though I will give Ubi props for at least trying, but I still doubt their intentions.

As for me buying PoP just to show Ubi that we will buy games goes against me boycotting Ubi games for their lack of quality control and support.

Dannik & WK,

Well, in that case we've already lost the war. This is the once chance we get to do something other than yell on the internet. The one chance to prove to the people in suits that you can make a profitable game without resorting to draconian DRM. It may be a long shot, but it's worth $50 I think. And WK, I'm pretty much on the same Ubisoft boycot, but this is more about DRM and less about Ubi in particular. This is the one time to look beyond all the other crap they pull.

Respectfully

krise madsen

OK, bought the game after work today; installed and played through the first little bit. Somewhat to my surprise, it runs just fine on my laptop.

It's a nice little game, if you're into platform games. I never was, and Prince of Persia proves that I still ain't :lol:. It's quite clearly not designed for mouse/keyboard conrls either

It's quite pretty though, with decent voice-acting (this being Ubi, I feared the worst). And that chick that runs along with you in the game is totally hot ;)

OK, so maybe I'm fighting a loosing battle supporting this no-DRM initiative. But even some loosing battles are worth fighting.

Respectfully

krise madsen