Get your jaw dropped for free

Hatchetforce

I don't think it looks any better than COD4 put out. Almost looks the same, but in a different environment. Love the action and all the explosion. Yet they look weak and not very impressive! Compared to also what COD4 and even GTA4 did with explosion for that matter. It just looks weak and fake. When you get very close up to objects (AI or other players mostly) it looks washed out and blurred. This could be because its a bad video, but it sure don't look like the case. Just look close and pasted the bad video the models outfits blur and washout compare to the other objects he looked at close. If anything can be said they still haven't met what they said the game was going to look like by any means! It looks to be on par with COD4 graphically, but darker and different setting. Maybe alittle wash out and weaker effects. Even if they get it all fixed and cleaned out to be crisp. Its still far away from what they said it was going to look like and not very much better than what COD4 look like today. It does look like a fun game, but not at all what i was expecting. If the video was bad for at least the washed out look fine so be it, but the explosion are still weak and its still not any where near what they said it was going to look like not even close.

Edited by WitchKnot9

I don't think it looks any better than COD4 put out. Almost looks the same, but in a different environment.

I have to say, on the basis of that video alone, I thought the exact same - infact some of the effects looked weak by comparison. There was certainly a lot going on, but it didn't strike me as being in a different league from CoD4.

I'm not familiar with the gameplay, but it looks the same as CoD4 on the rails linearity?

I'm not familiar with the gameplay, but it looks the same as CoD4 on the rails linearity?

Most likely. Killzone 1 was notoriously linear and quite mediocre.

Anyway, yeah. Pretty game, but not jaw dropping. The shaders they have on characters kick ass, in that level they're well beyond COD4 -- look at the guys getting gunned down at the start, the depth and realism in them is quite impressive.

Otherwise environments are so-so, stunning post effects from the earlier trailers are gone, particles are pretty but technically average, and whee, bloom! Will hopefully be a pretty good game. First person cover gimmick seems neat, and i'll pick it up eventually just for the artistry. Nothing too startling or impressive, though.

Just look close and pasted the bad video the models outfits blur and washout compare to the other objects he looked at close

That, really, is a ps3 thing. For all of its' polygons and impressive fx shaders, textures are always going to be much smaller (so, blurrier when upscaled) than a pc game, and a little bit behind the curve of 360 games. You don't really notice it ingame, but it's always going to be an area where the ps3 lags behind. Despite all of the space on their bluray disks the hard cap on texture memory forces developers to cut corners on what they can and can't load in.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who is taking a look at this new gameplay and trying to honestly tell me that it looks anywhere near CoD4 really needs to take a look again.

Starting with the effects - I play CoD4 a lot and the graphics are nice, but the effects, especially the smoke, are far from Next-Gen. I'm not going deeper into a comparsion with CoD4, since from my POV it is not a match for Killzone 2. And note, that this is Pre-Alpha, still lots of work going into it.

I don't follow, rookie. The difference in smoke between Killzone 2 and cod4 is mostly actually just the artist's technique, technically they seem pretty similar -- just normal particle effects.

It's a very good looking game, some incredible artists worked on it and the engine is solid. but nah, nothing revolutionary -- hardly more impressive than Uncharted or cod4 or even Halo 3 on the technical side, just a different art style than any of those games.