Graphics Cards Ranking - Huge List

Rocky

G.I. Jane â„¢' date='Nov 10 2007, 05:51 PM' post='502582']aww man, & the 8800GT is DirectX10. ARGGG Cpl Ledanek, lemme get a piece of that wall...

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but the 8800GT being DirectX10 shouldn't be a concern. DirectX is backwards compatible, so a card that runs DX10 native also runs DX9 and older normally. It's going the other way that's an issue.

Sure, you need Vista to take advantage of DirectX10, but the 8800 series is still a fantastic card under XP/DirectX9.

very true...some folks at XtremeSystems and [H]ardforum says only few games actually take advantage of DX10+Vista...most are opting for XP+8800GTX and Ultra...

Even ppl with Quad Core are complaining with their DX10+Vista since Vista is such a resource hog---accdg to them.

Imagine that, gamer with watercooled QuadCore still complaining about Vista. :D

One day I'll own a 8800 card....

brain.gif

...and I shall rule the world!

Dannik, nah it was my fault for not speaking more detailed. I meant the 8800GT has directX10 & that is even more reason to have bought it... but then again I don't wanna spend even more $$$ for Vista, plus I hear people complaing about something or another about Vista concerns.

Yes Cpl Ledanek, I too will one day own an 8800 yeeeeeehawwwww... happy gaming y'all

Edited by [ST6] G.I. Jane â„¢

guess I'll have to settle for #12 and as KRP 56 put it, dropping fast, funny thing is it has an image of King Kong on it! too funny...he was kinda short lived after being discovered...

dummy Q: so how much does MB have to do with how well your super duper GPU performs...? Mine is an ASUS P5WD2-E Premium...

after more thouight, it all seems a doggy tail chase to me...upgrade my caed, next Power Supply? CPU? MB? = new PC....

mig :ph34r:

G.I. Jane â„¢' date='Nov 10 2007, 11:07 PM' post='502588']

Dannik, nah it was my fault for not speaking more detailed. I meant the 8800GT has directX10 & that is even more reason to have bought it...

Someone clued up needs to clear this up.

MS have replaced DX10 with DX10.1 so,

1. Is what I read true, and 10.1 renders current DX10 cards obselete as they cannot do 10.1?

2. When will DX10.1 cards come out?

3. Is it worth waiting?

:wall:

1. Is what I read true, and 10.1 renders current DX10 cards obselete as they cannot do 10.1?

Yes and no. You will need a hardware DirectX10.1 card to process software DirectX10.1 specific rendering techniques in hardware, though DX10 hardware will pretty much render the minor "improvements" in software just fine. Remember, though, that even if an application uses 10.1, it doesn't mean it will require a hardware 10.1 card. Consider games like Half-Life 2 that technically are DirectX9 games, but work just fine with DirectX7 hardware. Also, keep in mind that DirectX10.1 is more or less a patch to DX10, not a major revision, and as such, doesn't really bring that much in new tech to the table. It's more of a change in standards than an actual change in tech.

2. When will DX10.1 cards come out?
November 15, 2007, in Beijing, at least for the AMD/ATI first release.

3. Is it worth waiting?
I still have an AGP video card. What do I know?

Don't worry about getting Vista at all. As others have said, nothing really takes advantage of DX10 and Vista as of yet. I'll be using XP for a long time, and the performance is great. I think the university sells copies of Vista Ultimate (upgrade version, not sure about the full version) to students, so if they sell the full version and it's cheap then I'll probably buy it. I won't install it for a while though.