Coil Gun

cdnsniper

Follow the link to "another coilgun site" and you'll see one fire off a 30-round burst from 3 chambers VERY rapidly.

Also it quotes stats on kinetic energy, mass, velocity, etc. of the rounds. Nothing terribly powerful yet, but surely it has promise. I think it quoted between 10-15 meters per second velocity for the rapid fire gun in tthat later video.

Oh, the possibilities... Also look on your favorite free video site for the word 'gauss' and see what comes up with NO ELECTRICAL POWER SOURCE WHATSOEVER, but just a couple magnets and a ball bearing...

These are traditionally called rail guns. I think the US Navy is supposed to start retrofitting vessels for some that will replace their main guns in the near future. Uses the same technology as these really fast trains/monorails. Seems like a good stepping device to the ray guns of the future. :P They'll peak my interest when they can break 1100fps.

Uses magnetic coils: COILD GUN

Uses magnetic rails: RAIL GUN

I get it now!

The US Navy also has already worked with 'ray guns' of sorts. A few years ago they used a directed-energy laser thingamabob to shoot-down an inert anti-ship missile. While SDI/Star Wars may not have ever made production, the tchnology developed in that strategic plan IS bieng implemented slowly throughout the US DoD. We're ready to kick ET's butt! LOL

seems like these could only be used as a tanks main weapon or rifle/small arms. Ity seems as every thing on ships and aircraft now is a guided weapon

M163 20mm 6-barrell Gatling. NOT guided.

12-Inch main's- NOT guided

5-Inch- NOT guided

Dude, not to troubleshoot ya, I'm just sayin'....

Interesting sidebar to Ghostdog's post- About 11 years ago, when I was in 5-3 FA, we almost got the opportunity to send a couple launchers (MLRS) and crews to an aircraft carrier sitting off the California coast for a couple days to see what would happen when we try to FIRE one off a ship's deck. Funds fell through and our launcher crews never did get to go play, but the idea was certainly in someone's head. Nowadays, I'm sure the true (read: classified) range on MLRS (not to mention ATACMS) is right about the same as those 12" guns. And you can send a whole lot more whoopass downrange with those rockets than conventional artillery shells could ever wet dream to do.....