Campus Firewall Issues

Unless I move out of college and get my own internet service. Gamespy needs a bunch of ports to be opened and my school won't open them ofcourse since they breach security all over campus.

I had a 360 and I played XBOX LIVE without any issues. Microsoft did their homework and figured out the the most accessible way to connect to their server.

I don't know if GRIN is responsible of this or not, maybe it UBI's fault but unless they come up with a different way to connect to the servers i'm not gonna be able to play on MP.

What happened to the old way of connecting to the server through direct ips?

I've waited 5 years for this :(

college lan out of my control

Yup, woe is you.

It may be out of your control, but it's not out of your influence. My Sophomore year in school, the IT department clamped down on network access and blocked several ports after a series of incidents involving out network.

One of my suitemates wrote an article for the campus paper (and then did some extra work drumming up support among the students to at least read the article). While the Administration wanted us to focus on accademic uses for the accedmic network, they eventurally relented and the IT deparments opened up the ports again.

Starcfraft and R6 for everyone! :D

Oh yeah, and as an aside. One's ability to negotiate their own rent/lease conditions, their own telephone, television and internet service providers, etc....those are all good reasons to get out of the dorms and into an appartment.

hey, i just talked to the network admin and he enabled the ports for me but it still doesn't work. I looked at command prompt and it does connect with gamespy but then i get disconnected for some reason and I keep getting the firewall error message.

He couldn't figure out what the problem was. He said only one of the ports listed on the readme file was blocked for security reasons. But he said gamespy should have a dynamic " " that would connect to another port.

So what now?

Edited by Moezter

this is what the network guy wrote on the report:

it looks like his PC is set up ok (firewall settings, etc.). I

also see his IP address making a successful connection to the GameSpy server. Note:

there are reports of server unavailability on the Ubisoft message boards. If the

game will not connect due to a port being blocked, we will not be able to open the

port. However, most GameSpy users on campus are able to connect ok, as the

application normally will try a number of ports if it can't find an initial opening.

Will keep this request open a few days to see if someone posts a workaround.

This from my campus network admin:

Out of the ports listed below, the following are not open:

Local Ports

UDP 15250

UDP 13139

UDP 15250

Remote Ports

TCP 6667

As we discussed, we will not be able to open these ports for this

application. However, I'm willing to try and find a workaround with you.

Can you try some tunneling or proxy service?

What Is This Tunneling Or Proxy Service? How Does This Work?

[Merged into your existing thread - Do not raise multiple threads for the same thing please]

Edited by Pave Low

I need an answer. No one has been able to help, University Firewall

I called my friend who works at Geek squad along with the rest of the squad, university network admin, forums everywhere, computer science majors at my school. No one has been able to help me.

I cannot play online because my university blocked the following ports for security reasons:

the following are not open:

Local Ports

UDP 15250

UDP 13139

UDP 15250

Remote Ports

TCP 6667

out of:

> Local Ports

> > UDP 15250

> > UDP 13139

> > UDP 15250

> >

> > Remote Ports

> > UDP 15250

> > TCP 80

> > TCP 6667

> > UDP 13139

> > UDP 27900

> > UDP 27901

> > TCP 28910

> > TCP 29900

> > TCP 29901

> > UDP 29910

> > TCP 29920

What now? Seriously this isn't even funny. I waited 5 years for this!

[Merged into your existing thread - Do not raise multiple threads for the same thing please]

Edited by Pave Low

I cannot play online because my university blocked the following ports for security reasons

Bottom line is if the university are blocking the Gamespy ports there is not a lot else you are going to be able to do about it.

(have you tried joining in one of the 3rd party VPN games, as they would be on different port's)

Have they said why they block those ports and won’t open them like they have the others?

I cannot play online because my university blocked the following ports for security reasons

Bottom line is if the university are blocking the Gamespy ports there is not a lot else you are going to be able to do about it.

(have you tried joining in one of the 3rd party VPN games, as they would be on different port's)

Have they said why they block those ports and won’t open them like they have the others?

they said security reasons. Are you talking about hamachi?

They told me people connect sucessfully to gamespy to play BF2 on campus. I looked at the activity on the cpromt and i actually make a connection to gamespy but then i just get dropped and get the firewall error message

Edited by Moezter

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain if the patch is gonna help me?, Can a GRIN dude explain?

I still haven't been able to connect to MP. I have play Battlefield 2 through gamespy without issues. Why am I still getting the firewall error?

Will the dedicated server solve this issue or are the ports are gonna remain the same regardless?

[Merged into existing thread - for full problem history]