New rig and video card question

Havok

Building a new rig and need advice on a video question.

Specs are gonna be:

Pentium® D Processor 940 with Dual Core Technology 3.20GHz, 800FSB

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive @7200RPM

AGEIA® PhysX® Physics Accelerator

Now I am not sure which vid card to go with. For the same price I can get a 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX or Dual 256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800.

I really wanted to go with Dual 512MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX cards but it just may be a tad too pricey for me, $700 extra.

So my question is which would be better, or is there not really much difference between the two choices ?

My 2 cents, ditch the physics processor and put the money from that towards a 7800 or 7900.

If you got for a 6800 and are depressed at how you can't run high some high end settings without the frame rate suffering, do you think the eye candy afforded by the physics processor will make up for it?

Personally I'd prefer to have smooth frames and high end settings on, rather than the physics stuff - especially as it is an emerging technology, probably best to wait for second generation.

With that really quite high spec PC, I don't think it makes sense to compromise on the graphics card.

I would not go with two lower end cards but go with one good card. Personally i go with nvidia, but the choice is up to you. I would get a 7800 or 7900 either GT or GTX, depending on what you can afford. But the gtx cards are soo expensive.

Specs are gonna be:

Pentium® D Processor 940 with Dual Core Technology 3.20GHz, 800FSB

Rocky knows I am an Intel man, but at this point of time, I would not pay for buying a Intel P4 dual core CPU for a gaming rig. Intel will be dropping the P4 9xx series like a hot potato by the end of this year in favor of the new Conroe "Core Duo" chips with 1066FSB and 4MB cache.

If you really need to get a new dual core system now, get an Athlon64 X2 - I've recently helped build 2 of them and they fly.

Link from a friend that suggested that if...if AGEIA® PhysX® Physics Accelerator is something your itching to get, to wait till the PCI-E version comes out.

More from bit-tech.net

"We drive sales of high-end hardware," Andy Hess, Director of Content Acquistion for AGEIA told us. "When you have a PhysX processor in your system, you've gotta have that SLI. You've gotta have both graphics cards to handle the amount of data that we send out. We keep those guys really busy."

and my 2 cents about SLI with 17-19" monitor.

Before you even start thinking about upgrading, make sure your PSU can handle it.

No worries it's a 600 watt PS.

Colin Posted Today, 04:41 PM

A 940 system you win a lota money or something ????, 

I wish...been saving forever.

Anyways to hell with it..dumping the PPU and going with dual 7900GTX cards.

Just gonna have to do a little more man-whoring to pay the extra is all.

:whistle::P