Next Map Project

liteluvr

True to my word, in another post, I alluded to a new map project, and said I'd post some intel....

so, here's an overhead view of the 3dsMax map file.

quarry-800.jpg

This shot doesn't include the trees, not that there's a lot of them anyway... it's a quarry after all, not a forest. :shifty:

however, you can get on high ground, go across some selectively placed bridges, or stay low and move around... the three pieces of equipment in the central compound can be gotten on top of either via stairs, or actually by way of the conveyer belts.

This map is almost done, I'm just tweaking, and walking the fine line between details and what GR/IGOR will handle. It still needs lighting, and unless someone knows another way, I'm gonna have to see if I can scrounge up a 3-button mouse... :blink:

Here's a couple more earlier shots... still doing ground mapping, etc.

quarry_birdseye1.jpg

quarry_birdseye2.jpg

quarry_birdseye3.jpg

BTW, map is a full 400x square. High ground is about 25m above the low ground.... just high enough to lob a frag onto.. ;)

Looks great Liteluvr.

Looking forward to playing this.

I noticed 1 thing though: the terrain itself (groundlevel, below and the ridges) seem to be very flat. I think in practice this never happens. Some diversity in height will spice up the gameplay and might make your map more realistic.

Thanks for the encouragement...

LOL, I forgot to mention the fact that there's two underground elements to the map that you can't see... one in the SW area under the snaky looking road, and another under the radio complex, east of center. They decend under the base level about 10-20 meters, depending...

Can you use the lighting tool with a 2 button mouse? Everything I've read indicates you have to have a 3-button mouse, to properly rotate the light into position...

if this isn't the case, someone PLEEEEZ tell me how to do it, cuz I just ain't seein it...

:blink:

Can you use the lighting tool with a 2 button mouse? Everything I've read indicates you have to have a 3-button mouse, to properly rotate the light into position...

if this isn't the case, someone PLEEEEZ tell me how to do it, cuz I just ain't seein it...

:blink:

Option One:

Get a 3 button mouse.

Option Two:

Place your light very carefully, so you don't need to rotate it anymore.

There are three types of lights that you may need to rotate: i) sun ii) spotlight iii) square spotlight.

If you've been playing around with the lighting tool, these three lights are shown as a little torchlight (that's a flashlight to you Americans). Double-left-click on a part of the map, and thr light sticks itself to whatever polygon the mouse is pointing at. This light is usually angled slightly towards the centre of the screen.

If you place the light dead-centre in the screen, the light will have zero angle ie the light line up more or less in the direction of the camera. So use the arrow, Cntrl, page up/page down buttons to get the angle of the light you want and place it. Then you can move it around by click and drag... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

i must say that you map-producing guys never stop to impress me.

with these new maps hopefully being released every now and then,

it feels like this lovely game never will stop to exist.

good job liteluvr and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

best regards/ ingeloop