GDC Sandbox: Soldiers Holiday

the.ronin

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great tributes so far happy campers ... I was getting concerned we might not be able to get enough but I'm sure we'll be able to do something with what we've got ... but the more the merrier, pun intended - so if you got any more juice in ya, please do feel free to submit more tributes!! :yes:

Just got an email from Mandy ...

>Hi Rob,

>

>Just wanted to give you an update. I've been really busy but should be able to get this done this week. Thanks!!

>

>Mandy

So looks like we are on track for the first 3var GDC Christmas Tribute!! :thumbsup:

Well, Miss MacKay has sent over a link to her voiceover for the tribute ... however its a 230 meg *mov file or a "compressed" 156 meg *dmg file?!?! I don't even know what a *dmg file is?! :(

If anyone out there is willing to download either of these files and render it in mp3 for me, that would be much appreciated!! :)

I don't even know what a *dmg file is?!  :(

You're not a Mac user, apparently. ;) .dmg files are more or less an ISO that MacOS mounts like a virtual drive, automatically.

If anyone out there is willing to download either of these files and render it in mp3 for me, that would be much appreciated!!  :)

I can take a crack at the .mov file, if you like.

Hey I want to thank both you guys, Dannik and halo, for helping me out with this ... I hope you don't mind but I took both of your offers on just to build in some redundancy in case of any problems :unsure::)

And I think we all owe Mandy (voiceover) and Daniel of GTTV (helped w/ production) a big thanks!!! When you guys here this, you're gonna crap in your pants. :yes:

Ok holiday revellers ... here's the tally.

Mandy's voiceover is weighing in at about 4 min 30 sec ... I don't want to mess around with this timeline by altering the tempo because that would change her voice. So most likely I am going to montage a few Christmas carols to cover the full 4'30" ... I'm thinking some combination of Carol of the Bells, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, We Three Kings ... any other suggestions?

So far we've got 19 great tributes (pagey I may nix the GRAW tribute because its a bit off topic) putting it at 14 seconds per tribute round about ... so if we can squeeze out just a few more tributes over the weekend, that would be da bomb, yo! :)

I will try get a soundtrack posted up for preview early next week and am aiming to get the tribute itself published by Wednesday Thursday morning. :santa:

Ok happy campers ... having reviewed a number of the takes (yes, she did SEVERAL takes!!) of Mandy's voicover of a A Soldier's Christmas Poem, I am considering cutting it off so it beings with the verse, "Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night, A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight ..."

This will serve to cut down the run time to about 2 min 30 sec and thus cycle through the tributes at a more manageable 8 second frequency.

In addition to Mandy (Gtech4TV) and Daniel (GTTV), I want to thank Dannik and halo_jones for slaving through to get the massive raw voiceover file downloaded and edited, as well as all who have contributed so far to this yule tide can of wup ass.

Double redundency is a good call....and yup im sure we are all gonna 'Abobe' some more stuff this weekend.

Dannick i was ok while i was rough editing, but the first time through in iTunes, onced i finished got me weepy for sure ... her voice is quite haunting as she reading the piece though.....