Second pass at a map

liteluvr

HOOWAH! Finally got a good export with the things I'd added. One final QC pass remains, and then it's off to lighting.

Even without lighting, it's immensely playable....

Created a simple mission with a couple dozen AI on the map, and tried to kill em all.... got my butt dusted... there's SO much visually happening once you get in the compound, that it's almost impossible to distinguish a stationary person from the rest of the clutter....

One of my clan buds who gave an earlier version a run through commented that it blows the stock GR maps away in terms of playability and potential.... I just hope it can live up to that praise.

There's some minor details that I would like to see fixed, but I could go on tweaking this thing forever and never cut it loose, so when it's available, show some mercy for the small defects...

Anyway, looks like the file is ready to light, so hopefully that's just around the corner.

Thanks for all the support and comments... and expect to see this map soon...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current zip size is 26MB, but that includes duplicate textures for lighting purposes.... once I cull out the ones that aren't required, it should drop down some. A few of the textures in the inner compound are 1mb+ for the ground, so I may take a stab at reducing those as well.

As it is, it plays wicked fast... so I may leave them in for quality's sake.

I just deleted what I *think* are unneeded texture files, and it only dropped the zip size by 4 MB, so it looks like 22MB is a good number.

Fixing to do a MP play test on it, so I should have something to post later.

Now I need to get Oso the files he needs, and depending on his schedule... we might have a lit version.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys.... been busy with other stuff.

This mod is essentially as done as I want to make it.

Is it bug and glitch free?

no.....

Is any map?

no....

Am I ready to move on to my next idea...?

YES....

I've been holding up on this one to get 3 missions scripted for a clan tournament, but they're all addicted to Battleflub2 :x anyway, so there's not much point in hanging on to it.

I never could get it lit, so if anyone wants to take a crack at it, I'd welcome it.

I'll work to get it wrapped up and ready to release... no installer or anything fancy... but, hey... it's a new map... one with lots of playability... and unlike GRAW... it's looking like it'll be here sooner than later...

(Sorry... still fumin over the pushed out release date)

Also, I've probably 80% done on a new GR map, a quarry... and I'll post some screenshots when I pull em off my laptop.

;)

This mod is essentially as done as I want to make it.

Is it bug and glitch free?

no.....

Then it's not ready for release.

People will get fed up with the bugs and stop playing it, rendering all your work a waste of time.

Is any map?

no....

Correction: only the good ones and those will stick.

BTK, thanks for the heads up. I'd noticed that in testing and fixed it already.

Now... here's a problem I have periodically when compiling maps in Igor, and it's driving me nuts.... :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Sometimes this happens, and sometimes it doesn't, and when I do get it fixed, I can't figure out how I did it... :stupid: This map is taking about 45 minutes to import into Igor, so trial and error is getting realllllly old...

Any other map makers come up against this?

fubar.jpg

:blink:

I realize that this was a long time ago, but i was looking through this and i have found the solution to this problem. This happend to me all the time. I would use edit poly, detach something, and it would be fine, until i rendered it. My solution, if your detaching something, convert to editable mesh if its in editable poly. Hope you get it figured out, it looks cool!