Stargate Mod

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no where near knowing what everything you guys are talking about means, but this all looks great. I got this site from someone on an SG1 chat forum, so i wasn't expecting a whole bunch, but when I saw all the work you guys put into just the pics that show up on the screen...holy cow! (or should I say Holy Hannah?)

Makes me celebrate inside knowing that there are SG1 fans out there who's sites (forgive the pun) aren't leveled on the "ship" aspect and notice just how cool this show really is.

Can't wait to be able to paruse the finished product. Maybe somebody wants to walk me through the basics of what you're talking about so I don't look like a complete loser? Email me if you can.

:drool::notworthy:

• 2 weeks later...

This Mod will be available ONCE Chems has finished the extension to the Abydos map... IF he is still doing it?

Chems get in touch...!!

If this is a no go we shall put a few missions together and release it as it is...

The Beta got some good feedback so it looks like it could be a go..

oh yeah the little village and all, ok i will get on it i promise, el oso helped me with a bit of it and i never looked at it again, its all ready to moddel the extra parts on. Give me a month and i will try and do it. Got a holiday coming up. :D

• 2 weeks later...

If someone is interested, those Stargate maps are available as MAX4 format (doesn't work with previous versions of MAX) at http://ghost.xcalpro.com. Originally these maps are made by TonyO.

Abydos map is somewhat ready but I think it still needs much more details and more places to go. Releasing it after re-texturing (and re-lighting) would be stupid.

Hatak map is something which probably should be left alone. Someone with little experience with MAX can redo the same map in couple hours. And this map isn't even accurate model of mothership seen on Stargate.

Here's a screenshot of the abydos map.

abydos7.JPG

Two more pictures are at http://sektori.com/~pege/ghostrecon/mytoansniper/ named abydos8.JPG and abydos9.JPG (abydos4-6.jpg's are from earlier version of the map).

So anyone with interest can complete these maps if they want to.

Chems, I think that you are too eagerly taking credit of making that map. As far as I know (and what everyone can see from Abydos map by TonyO) you have only re-textured / re-lit the map. ALL modeling (and probably most of the texturing too) has been done by TonyO and now you're claiming that no one else has to bother as you have got it well covered.

I'd say that you have done less than 1% of all the work that has been put on to that map.

I still think that this map isn't even close to be ready to release. Interior of pyramid should be larger and more detail should be put in there. Hallways and doorways are too narrow. Torch-pedestals look crappy. Desert area has too few places to go and too little details. Gate-room is badly lit. And so on.

In your earlier post you say that " Looks cool, the abydoss map is good but it mainly need texture work on the cat " which I don't agree with.

Textures of the "egyptian room" are also by TonyO (he probably has copied those from the 'net and those don't necessarily have anything to do with Stargate mythology). Most of the textures are also very badly done, sarcoph1.rsb and sphinx.rsb for example.

Only stargate model, character models and weapons are quality good enough to be released - made by =MM=Shadow.

I think that releasing this map after only re-texturing and re-lighting is very stupid. Someone really has to bother if this map is going to be released. And Chems could maybe remember to mention who originally has done all the work.

Chems, I think that you are too eagerly taking credit of making that map. As far as I know (and what everyone can see from Abydos map by TonyO) you have only re-textured / re-lit the map. ALL modeling (and probably most of the texturing too) has been done by TonyO and now you're claiming that no one else has to bother as you have got it well covered.

I'd say that you have done less than 1% of all the work that has been put on to that map.

I still think that this map isn't even close to be ready to release. Interior of pyramid should be larger and more detail should be put in there. Hallways and doorways are too narrow. Torch-pedestals look crappy. Desert area has too few places to go and too little details. Gate-room is badly lit. And so on.

In your earlier post you say that " Looks cool, the abydoss map is good but it mainly need texture work on the cat " which I don't agree with.

Textures of the "egyptian room" are also by TonyO (he probably has copied those from the 'net and those don't necessarily have anything to do with Stargate mythology). Most of the textures are also very badly done, sarcoph1.rsb and sphinx.rsb for example.

Only stargate model, character models and weapons are quality good enough to be released - made by =MM=Shadow.

I think that releasing this map after only re-texturing and re-lighting is very stupid. Someone really has to bother if this map is going to be released. And Chems could maybe remember to mention who originally has done all the work.

Who are you to complain at him? Let him do his stuff and you take care of your stuff. He has already said that he didn´t do all the work himself. Persons like you that likes to complain shouldn´t be in here. You should be glad that there are guys that takes time to make different kind of mods for all of us to play. Why else are you here? To download mods, right? If not you can take your whining and leave. :guns::rambo:

Chems, I think that you are too eagerly taking credit of making that map.

Taking credit for someone elses work is not something Chems does, infact he is usually meticulous in making sure the credit is shared around to everybody involved.

Mod credits are not final until the mod goes public and the credits are included in the readme. When the readme for this mod is published I am sure all parties will be appropriately credited as they have been previously.

I don't just like it when people take credit of someone else's work. And just to make my point clear again (Chems, take no offense, I know that you'll be giving the credit to those who deserve it when/if you release this map).

Some quotes from previous pages:

• Been working heres my fruits. -Chems (only re-lit / texturing as far as I know)
  • I've said before: nice Sphinx Shadow! Also nice tomb-room Chems! -San (reader gets the idea that Chems has modeled / textured / done the whole tomb-room, when he actually has just re-textured / re-lit it)
  • Still waiting for Chems to clear his busy schedule to take a look at altering the maps. -=MM=Shadow (Again, reader gets the idea that Chems has done the map)

(Those who wrote these quotes probably know who are involved with this map but those who read it get it all wrong)

After TonyO released MAX4 file of Abydos map (released 15.7.2003) there hasn't been any significant updates to this map.

On pages 5, 6 and 7 you can't even find who has originally done the map, on page 4 he is mentioned once. I'd say that people would assume after this thread that Chems has actually done the map (which probably wasn't Chems' idea).

This is also a matter of some criticism. I bet you didn't know before who had done the map. I also think that I'm in such position in "GR modding community" that I criticize Chems. I was involved with Stargate mod for months but because of the lack of co-operation with TonyO and Draconis I didn't get much to do and finally nothing got done properly.

I've also released two maps for "GR community" to use.

MYTOAN Sniper (MAX5 map)

and

Guarded Forest (MAX5 map)

Which have been released as MAX5 files as well so people can look at how maps look like in MAX. Currently there are about 4500 clicks to MYTOAN and 417 clicks to it's MAX5 file according to atwar.

My point still is, that other people than Chems only can mod the map if they want to. I wouldn't release that map with just re-texturing and re-lighting and I wouldn't like the idea that someone else does exactly that.

Killer I really don't want to get into a big thing about this and pick your post up and answer every point, I'll let Chems do that. But I will say this on your first three points.

Been working heres my fruits. -Chems (only re-lit / texturing as far as I know)

So what?! He is showing his work, the texturing, he never claimed anything else... :blink:

The other two quotes are from people who have assumed work was attributed to Chems when that may not have been the case. That is not down to Chems, it is down to the person making the assumption. Crikey, I get mail thanking me for making that great game Ghost Recon, does that mean I go around saying that I made Ghost Recon?!

That's all I have to say about this, Chems can clear it up further if he wishes.

I don't just like it when people take credit of someone else's work. And just to make my point clear again (Chems, take no offense, I know that you'll be giving the credit to those who deserve it when/if you release this map).

Some quotes from previous pages:

• Been working heres my fruits. -Chems (only re-lit / texturing as far as I know)
  • I've said before: nice Sphinx Shadow! Also nice tomb-room Chems! -San (reader gets the idea that Chems has modeled / textured / done the whole tomb-room, when he actually has just re-textured / re-lit it)
  • Still waiting for Chems to clear his busy schedule to take a look at altering the maps. -=MM=Shadow (Again, reader gets the idea that Chems has done the map)

(Those who wrote these quotes probably know who are involved with this map but those who read it get it all wrong)

After TonyO released MAX4 file of Abydos map (released 15.7.2003) there hasn't been any significant updates to this map.

On pages 5, 6 and 7 you can't even find who has originally done the map, on page 4 he is mentioned once. I'd say that people would assume after this thread that Chems has actually done the map (which probably wasn't Chems' idea).

This is also a matter of some criticism. I bet you didn't know before who had done the map. I also think that I'm in such position in "GR modding community" that I criticize Chems. I was involved with Stargate mod for months but because of the lack of co-operation with TonyO and Draconis I didn't get much to do and finally nothing got done properly.

I've also released two maps for "GR community" to use.

MYTOAN Sniper (MAX5 map)

and

Guarded Forest (MAX5 map)

Which have been released as MAX5 files as well so people can look at how maps look like in MAX. Currently there are about 4500 clicks to MYTOAN and 417 clicks to it's MAX5 file according to atwar.

My point still is, that other people than Chems only can mod the map if they want to. I wouldn't release that map with just re-texturing and re-lighting and I wouldn't like the idea that someone else does exactly that.

There is nothing wrong in saying " Look what I did." He never said that he did the whole thing was his work. He only showed the parts he did.

(Please go back to shool and learn some more english. ) Stop complaining. These guys are working their butts off to make mods that we all can download and play for free. Thanks to "them" we all have been playing and having a good time and you still complains. Very ungrateful! :wall::wall::wall:

Hmmm well here goes, I think we normally write our replys on the basis that people are following the thread which they normally are. Write to San and ask him if he thinks I made that map. I think he will quite intellgetly say, Chems isnt a mapper, he was just helping out I said the tomb room looked cool because of the lighting job. I dont mean to sound big headed at all but I dont need to take credit for a second rate map that someone else didnt want to finish, I think if you look through these forums you will find that Ive proved myself quite rightly. But I dont need to argue that point at all you allready said It wasnt my intention and Im glad you realize this. Im extreamly sorry for supposidly giving the impression I made the map I agree about 1% was me I will in the future remember to be even more aware of giving credit. It was totally a un intentional thing I just didnt think anyone would jump to that conclusion, I doubted they'd just think wow Chems knocked up a map only snake can do that.

As for the Sphinx i did do a lot of work on that to get it looking much better. As most people will agree if they take a look at my screen shots and the last one posted here. The map looks a lot better for that 1% work. I feel a little down hearted that I would get accused of doing this when I am simply trying to fit in time to finish of a work of yours which has such potential. And if youd read a little closer, youd realize that it wasnt only a re texture and lighting job but more was been added. My self and Javaman and El oso all played our parts in setting the map up better and working on adding a new part.

People show peoples other work and tell they like it, other people agree.

Nothing wrong with that.

I thought K1ller made the maps ! That's why I said I have 4 maps from him now. But these 2 are TonyO's. OK, but I still got them from your post!

I agree the Abydos-map needs more work, maybe an oasis, so you can put palmtrees and grass and a little lake in it ? And some rocks.

well, on another note. As a fan of the show I think care should be given to preserve the location portrayed with the map. A Sphinx, an oasis, all of which might be cool, none of which existed on the Abydos we see. That area of the planet at least is mostly desert. And there are enough shots of the area around the gate and pyramid structures to know that. And we know there is alot more to the internal structure of the pyramid after Season 6 Ep 22 then was shown before. Similiar areas could be imagnitivly created without changing the location thats being portrayed in an unflattering way.

I've seen quite a few stargate projects, and none of them but this one have shown any potential even worth mentioning. Its sad too, cause the stargate universe is full of possibilities for projects. Admittedly, GR's engine isn't the best way to portray this universe, but in defense of the project, it's got alot of nice content just beckoning to be used here. I'm still hopeful as to what will come of this project.

I came onboard this Stargate Mod a while ago now as the Scripter and have watched this thread with interest.

Chems has NOT MADE the Map - he HAS however IMPROVED the texturing etc on it, making it a really cool map to play on and it certainly has a major "Wow" factor now. (Hope this buries that bit of the discussion)

I tested the original version and made suggestions to Shadow how to make the Map more interesting to play on, eg expanding the dunes and putting boulders in to use as cover, adding a small village/ruins so to add another focal point etc etc. Shadow then passed these suggestions onto Chems, who took on the work for us. (Thanx from me btw)

Ive used an updated vertsion of the Map with the boulders/textures etc on it and its certainly better (not sure about the sand bag's thou) then the original for game play/interest - it however still needs some more game-play additions (expanded dunes + ruins/village) to make it a EXCELLENT map.

Im not a mapper - but I can tell that these additions/changes will take time, effort and skill (and a lot of patience). But they will be worth it (hint hint Chems) ;)

While this is the first of (hopefully) three new maps specifically for this Mod, It will be the one that will help grab peoples interest and make it worth them playing it (along with Shadow's awesome model's)

P.S. @ DonMiguel : would u like to be involved in the Mod, PM me or Shadow :D

I'm pretty busy anymore with other mods. I did have a prelimiary Stargate mod a while back and I thought I sent it in to whoever was heading the project at the time. It had alot of weapon sound samples, and gun/prj setups for things.

I'm always willing to pass on advice on things or mull over how to do some new feature, so you guys can IM me via MSN or email me anytime. But I can't commit to another team right now.