Fan Question

firefly2442

Ok, I have a question. I have one fan that blows air out of my case in the back. It is possible for me to put another fan of the same size overtop of it. So then I would have two fans blowing the hot air out the case. However, would there be any benefit? Would it blow the hot air out 2x faster? If it does would this be of any benefit to the system? Also, I'd like to hook up another small fan for the CPU/Heatsink but there is no room (i.e. no slots or anything). Anybody have any suggestions? THANKS! :D

If your talking about putting one fan directly over top of the one that's already in the case,I would have to say no as it could create air turbulance instead of increased air flow. To increase exit airflow I would think it would be best to find a fan that had a higher RPM than the one you have and replace it but it really depends on what case you have as a higher exit airflow must also have a proper intake airflow. I'm sure some of the other members here that have tinkered more with case airflow than I have will offer their advice. ;)

Stacking fans would not work to well unless it is a helicopter (yes someone actually made a flying helo with 2 sets of rotorblades on the same mast and it worked). Airflow would get disrupted in the second fan. Your best bet would be to open up the area where the fan is attached to the case. Also, if you can, install a fan at the front of the case to help get cool air in. If you have to, you can put a hole and fan in the top of the case (remember heat rises) to help expel hot air from the case.

When it comes to exhaust and intake fans obviously the orientation will decide which way the air blows......are most fans reversible or are they marked as intake or exhaust?

Well, you could just turn it around so it blows the other way no? I don't think fans are made to do an exclusive task like that because they're just fans. I might be wrong though. :)

Generally speaking, case fans are not exclusively made to be intake or exhaust. All you have to do is turn it over. There sometimes is an arrow on the side of the fan to indicate the direction of flow.

Most computer cases now are made so you exhaust hot air created inside the case outside the back (through the power supply +/- a second exhaust fan), and intake cool air in the front bottom of the case.

It would not be a good idea to turn the fan at the back of your case into a cool air intake fan, as it will disrupt the flow of air that is already created by your power supply to exhaust hot air out the back of the case.

You are better off putting an intake fan at the bottom front of your case if there is room for one.

Stacking fans would not work to well unless it is a helicopter (yes someone actually made a flying helo with 2 sets of rotorblades on the same mast and it worked).

Russian KA something Hokum, u have to kill one in GR :P