"Glitching" vs Taking Cover

lexsis

"Glitching" vs Taking Cover;

first let me say this; a glitch is a bug. something wrong or not working the way it should.

glitching is when youre playing a game and for some reason you are able to see the other player through the walls. thats not your fault, thats a design flaw in the game and therefore qualifies as a glitch.

every time I play online, somebody accuses somebody (or me) of glitching. and my question is why should you stand out in the open?

why do some players expect you to stand or kneel instead of laying prone? why do some players think it a sin to lay in a crater or just over a hill?

if the designers of the game didnt intend for us to hide behind objects when being shot at (as in real life) they wouldnt have included such objects in the game or made them ineffective.

when is it OK to hide? at what point should I stand up and be shot just for the sake of making the other guy happy?

your thoughts and comments please.

You shouldn't just take a bullet so he won't whine. taking cover is something that would happen in real life, and the person whining is probaly one of them run-n-gunners who plays UT or quake. Just cause he's out in the open, doesn't mean you have to be. fighting like that ended in the 1700s! However, if you see him through a wall and shoot him through it, that's another story...

[EDIT: No offense to unreal tourney or quake players, I play a little bit of those myself]

Edited by Cavalier

If you're going to knowingly glitch, you might as well go the whole hog and install a cheat package. You'd be no less of a cheater than the guy running around with ret lock.

Behave like a gentleman, and say no to glitching. If the other team returns the favor, you get a decent game of GR. If it's all going to come down to who knows the most geometry glitches, then what's the point?

In my experience, the guys who consistently get accused of glitching tend to be glitchers (ie. closet cheaters). Glitchers are even lamer than cheaters because at least the latter aren't deluding themselves...

Don't glitch. Suck less instead.

<_<

Edited by Grail

In my early days in GR I used to always crawl in ditches from one point to the other because my rational was... if they build it why not use it. It was the perfect tool to get to my destination (albeit a long way). I would take fire and for the most part not get hit. AWESOME!

Then I realized what later became a known issue with the game was turn out not to be funny anymore. Generous players would inform me that I was glitching... I was thinking... what? no, I'm taking cover and you're afraid to blast me outta my hole. Others began whining and say "i'm a good shot, you're blah blah blah..."

I've come to realize in a short time that "taking advantage of the terrain" as I was just made people mad. I wasn't killing from the ditch... I was just navigating in it. Just the same, i was being considered a cheater (mind you this was before any affiliation with a clan when I played under the name Skinwalker). I couldn't have that... so I gave up what I thought to be "cover" for the open road and have since become what I believe is a better player because of it.

Less creative... but better nonetheless a better player. <==== not a boast... ;)

Personally I don't mind when someone takes cover in a ditch or crater... eventually they will be surrounded and soon be pushing daisies. But when I see people actually firing from the same area in a "I-hate-this-word glitch" then I just inform them to please refrain from their action.

This post is on my behalf... and not the rest of XRW's mind you... we all have our opinion's and this one just happens to be mine.

if you're not firing from one of those area's example prone in a crater, i could care less, it's when you're firing from an invulnerable position that upsets ppl ( i believe rightfully so) if you take a prone cover position in a ditch crater, whatever that's cool to me but pop up on one knee before shooting

However, if you see him through a wall and shoot him through it, that's another story...

[EDIT: No offense to unreal tourney or quake players, I play a little bit of those myself]

I agree, shooting through walls IS glitching. :P

You can prone or hide mostly everywhere, without glitching.

But those places where you glitch, it's not fair to not-get-hit why you should.

It is cheating !

you said "those places where you glitch" how do you glitch? if youre in a crater or behind a tree thats called taking cover.

as for not getting hit when you should, uh.....if Im hiding behind a tree I shouldnt get hit because Im hiding behind a solid object. however, if you shot me through a tree, thats what I would call a glitch.

If you're going to knowingly glitch, you might as well go the whole hog and install a cheat package. You'd be no less of a cheater than the guy running around with ret lock.

explain glitching? furthermore, explain knowingly glitching? when would you know that youre NOT glitching, when a bullet slams into your body?

how much cover is too much cover, should I expose the top of my head or must I expose myself down to my waist?

Personally I don't mind when someone takes cover in a ditch or crater... eventually they will be surrounded and soon be pushing daisies.

exactly, you stay in one spot for too long and somebody will come up behind you and....pow.

telling a guy "how" to hide is like telling him which gun to use.

spawn killing is far worse than "glitching" and even though there's now a spawn invunerability setting, most people who host dont use it and people spwan kill like crazy.

explain glitching? furthermore, explain knowingly glitching? when would you know that youre NOT glitching, when a bullet slams into your body?

When you crawl up the the edge of a crater or ditch and peak over, you're glitched. I can see you, but I can't kill you without explosives. You, on the other hand, can kill me with impunity. Now you know...

Do it again, and you're a cheater. :angry:

Edited by Grail

spawn killing is far worse than "glitching" and even though there's now a spawn invunerability setting, most people who host dont use it and people spwan kill like crazy.

"Spawn killing" IMO is not even remotely close to knowingly taking advantage of the games limitations...aka "glitching". Spawn killings is the end result of poor communication, poor teamwork and poor protection of your teams spawn area. If you get spawn killed out of the game dont start whinning about it cause theres only you and your team to blame for it, not the guy who worked his way up to your spawn.

As for glitching I personally am so sick of hearing that word...if you come across someone glitching just back off, flank him, inform a teammate so they can help you out. There are tons of options. 9 times outta 10 the person in the glitch has no idea they are glitching. Its the guys that crawl inside rocks or shoot through walls that I have a real problem with.

Back in the days of rogue spear, we used to have "pistol sniping" matches on the bunkers map (no crossing the middle), and we used to play 2v2. Well, we learned that there was a glitch where if you switched from binoculars to your gun as you fell off a small ledge, your pistol would zoom in. we eventually told them about it... after a few (hundred) matches... :o=

if you're looking through it i would say it's glitched, if you feel something is questionable, don't fire, i guess for some that find themselves in that position it's too tempting to "take a shot" if we all did the right thing this wouldn't be an issue. I have been playing since june of 2002 and as recent as last night i stumbled into a wall glitch i didn't know existed, i got out and went on my way no harm no foul(i didn't bother firing through it)

I was more worried that it would be something not so obvious. It's the not so obvious ones we all need to be aware of so we know not to do them. It seems as though there is just the wall and the crater glitch to worry about though.

On the Airbase map (original GR, can you remember ?), there's that fence around the base.

At the north (were you spawn in MP) I managed to get at the other side of the fence ! (accidentaly)

Cooool, more map-space !!! It looked like a real big space, but it wasn't that much.

I thought I could escape from duty : see ya suckers !!! j/k

I had to find the glitch-entrance to get back in game.

But some ###### shot me through fence. :angry: hehe