Thoughts of enlisting pre/post Iraq war

tyovan4

Alright - I'm going to amend my statement. One of the reasons I was considering enlisting was 11 September. I sat and watched via live television the events of that day. I decided that I could put my talents to use and go to Army Intelligence because I wanted to make sure that nobody else would have to sit through a freshmen US History class in high school and watch people being slaughtered like sheep in their own country. That was one of the reasons.

However, US actions in Iraq have definately persuaded me into not enlisting. Afghanistan, where we're supposed to be fighting the terrorists who actually attacked us, is all but forgotten. Iraq was in no way connected to 11 September, and going there will not enable me to help fight terrorists. These are some of the reasons I am no longer considering enlisting in the US Army.

So, it never really was about country - it was about protecting people and helping out a bit. I don't care whether you're from Ulster, Israel, or America - you shouldn't have to live in fear of terror.

So, it wasn't only ever for personal reasons alone - but it wasn't for country other. It was for a desire to make a difference.

Tyovan, I heartily suggest you join the local police department or maybe the fire department. If your principles do not allow you to be a soldier, then at least look at other jobs that match your ideals. You will never be rich man, but you probably grew out of that daydream years ago.

I commend you for not responding to flames. Power to you.

Tyovan, I heartily suggest you join the local police department or maybe the fire department. If your principles do not allow you to be a soldier, then at least look at other jobs that match your ideals. You will never be rich man, but you probably grew out of that daydream years ago.

Thinking about that actually. What I really want to do is to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

You will never be rich man

No, I know. I just want enough to live comfortably.

Thank ye.

if you want to serve your country 

it was never really about country

That statement right there makes no sense what so ever. If its not about serveing your country then what point is it to join up?

Try reading previous posts before you post.. This post I recently made will answer your question ;)

Alright - I'm going to amend my statement. One of the reasons I was considering enlisting was 11 September. I sat and watched via live television the events of that day. I decided that I could put my talents to use and go to Army Intelligence because I wanted to make sure that nobody else would have to sit through a freshmen US History class in high school and watch people being slaughtered like sheep in their own country. That was one of the reasons.

However, US actions in Iraq have definately persuaded me into not enlisting. Afghanistan, where we're supposed to be fighting the terrorists who actually attacked us, is all but forgotten. Iraq was in no way connected to 11 September, and going there will not enable me to help fight terrorists. These are some of the reasons I am no longer considering enlisting in the US Army.

So, it never really was about country - it was about protecting people and helping out a bit. I don't care whether you're from Ulster, Israel, or America - you shouldn't have to live in fear of terror.

So, it wasn't only ever for personal reasons alone - but it wasn't for country other. It was for a desire to make a difference.

"I was seriously considering joining the US Army Reserves"

"Wouldn't mind joining the British Army"

"What I really want to do is to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland".

and in other threads you said you wanted to join the israeli army.

thats 4 different countries military service u want to join.

you really need to sit down and think about what you want,

again if its not for country then why join the military?

you will not be welcomed in any countries military, if its not for country,

they will not trust you, to stay and fight for their country.

if u want to make a difference thats noble of you,

it just wasnt clear and i misunderstood what u said.

Alright - I'm going to amend my statement.

but it wasn't for country other.

first you said it,

then u amended it,

then you said it again at the end of it.

thats confusing for me.

QUOTE (redneck86 @ Apr 11 2004, 15:57 )

if you want to serve your country 

it was never really about country

That statement right there makes no sense what so ever. If its not about serveing your country then what point is it to join up? 

Try reading previous posts before you post.. This post I recently made will answer your question

uh I did read the previous posts you hippie SOB just because i'm from TN. doesnt mean i'm stupid so ###### please ;)

uh I did read the previous posts you hippie SOB just because i'm from TN. doesnt mean i'm stupid so ###### please ;)

That's a ban, right there.

Other posters have shown remarkable restraint all things considered, not wishing to sound patrioninsing, but thanks.

At least he didn't make too many post before he got banned. Here is a topic that is for a person trying to make a choice to enter the Army or not.

You said in your first post I think that you didn't want to join the U.S. Army because they were the most promenent force in Iraq. You said they are the ones who are being attacked the most which is true. To me that tells me that you are affraid of dying. And the comments about joining other Armies tells me that you think you would have a better chance of survival. My only suggestion is, if you are affraid of death then you shouldn't join any Army. Anyone who signs up for the Army no matter if they are doing civilan work or not should have the sense that something could happen and I may be put in harms way. So first you should realize that you could die no matter what Army you are in no matter what you are doing. So first consider that before you make a choice about anything.

And if you do join an Army it should be for country. The armies of the world represent their nation and the men and women of those armies should have a firm belief in the values and reasons of that government.

Actually, this is just a troublesome thread and before anyone else says something they regret I'm closing it.

Tyovan, you are of course entitled to post your opinions and thoughts, you might want to sit back and think sometimes, about the likely course the discussion will take and whether it will be of benefit to you, or anyone else. There is a pattern forming, that's all I am saying.

Case closed. Go talk about games you lot.

(Matt posted at the same time as me, turned out to be a good way to finish the discussion, well put.)

Edited by Rocky