What's the best jet fighter sim?

Stewy

G'day guys,

I've basically been out of the loop since F-19 Stealth Fighter ( a VERY cool game for its time)

Can you guys tell me what's been the best jet fighter sim in the last couple of years (basically since GR was released) - particularly one which can possibly be modded for Australian repaints (eg, Hornet sim) - but if not a Yank one would be ok...

Basically, I miss the fun of F-19 - leaving the base, flying, bombing the target, flying back, and landing...

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Stewy,

I started writing you a book in response to your simple question but decided against posting it in the end. Here's the bottom line for me:

If you haven't tried it yet, go grab Micro Prose's Falcon 4.0. It was released a few years back but is still available in many game shops at bargain prices. The original sim leaves a lot to be desired, but with the third party mods available, including custom skins, there isn't another flight sim out there that can hold a stick to it imho -- and that includes LOMAC, UBI's recently released, overrated, overpriced, overdue, buggyashell combat flight sim.

Do yourself a favor, go grab Falcon 4.0 (it's available through Amazon if you can't find it locally), then go to Frugal's World to download Superpak 3 here:http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/. You won't regret it. Plus, after what seems like an endless wait, the folks who brought us SP3, are about to release SP4, allegedlly some time before Christmas. Falcon 4.0 + SP3 has a huge world-wide following. I haven't looked but I have no doubt that you'll find folks out there with Australian skins available.

Best of luck and happy flying.

el

Edited by El_Nino

Here's a link to a super cheap copy of a used Faclcon 4.0 on ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=41066

Judging by the picture, it looks like a complete set in very good condition.

BTW: FYI, Falcon 4.0 has a dedicated (read: fanatical) fan base. You'll soon find that many Falcon 4 fans are as blindly dedicated (read: obsessed) to it as many Ghost Recon fans seem to be (Go ask your average GR player what he/she thinks about Counter Strike). In other words, you may want to take anything an avid F4 fan (myself included) says about any other flight sim with a grain of salt as we tend to be both opinionated and biased!

P.S. If you end up going with F4, I'd be happy to give you a link to all the best fan sites and would be interested in joining you online for a few BARCAPS!

P.P.S. Want to check out a few screen shots before buying:

167_Ss3.jpg

20_hires3DPit4.jpg

More can be found at Frugal's World here:http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/index.php?id=...8e91441eb3ed2fa

The site also has a fantastic Forum much like GR.net

El

Edited by El_Nino

Sheesh El, youve just sold me...and I was only passin by.

Ahh the heady days of F117 Stealth on the Amiga....another Microprose sim of its day....

Hey Syncopator,

Glad to hear it man. I actually came to Falcon 4.0 a bit late. I remember when it first came out but didn't buy it for some reason that now escapes me. Then a friend turned me on to it about a year and half ago. With Superpak 3 installed, the sim is still pretty much state of the art when compared with some of the other sims available out there. The nice thing about it is that you can pick it up for song, install the free patch, and have flight sim that will compete with just about anything else on the market.

Mind you, Falcon 4.0's graphics may not be up to par with LOMAC but most people aren't able to enjoy LOMAC's eye candy anyway due to performance issues.

One of the things that really sold me on Falcon 4.0 is the large and dedicated fan base and the availability of free add-ons much like GR. If you're interested, here's a link to a great site that has a comprehensive history of the game: http://www.hzebv.nl/~falconhistory/history.html.

It's too bad, in a way, that Microprose sold the rights to the Falcon series. The companies that are now involved in the latest incarnation of the sim (Falcon Gold: Operation Infinite Resolve): G2Interactive, Xicat, and Atari leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully they won't screw up a good thing too much.

Haven't played Falcon 4.0 or LOMAC but the best one I've played is JAnes F/A-18, followed by Jane's F-15.

F-19 and F-117 was kind of cool but at the same time there was F-15 Strike Eagle III, also by Microprose, and it had multiplayer support (2 players) by seriel connection. Really cool to play either wingmen and fly the missions of fly both in the same F-15E where 1 was pilot and the other weapons officer. :D