Arma 2: FREE - Announced

and another company jumping on the free-to-play bandwagon, although this one just might be .... free

http://www.arma2.com/free

Arma 2 FREE announced!

Bohemia Interactive, the award-winning independent game development studio, is pleased to announce the Arma 2: Free - a free-to-play multiplayer version of critically acclaimed mil-sim, Arma 2.

Arma 2: Free redefines the free-to-play battlefield with its truly unrivalled scale and gameplay possibilities. Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 - the '13th best PC game of all time', according to PC Gamer - minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods. Arma 2: Free is scheduled for release in June 2011.

Create your own custom-built scenarios or deploy a massive selection of missions and game-modes made by others. No micro-transactions, no hidden costs, just the same epic terrain and huge variety of equipment! This is Arma 2 Free - virtual war without the training wheels. Arma 2: Free to download, free to play, free to share, free to host, free to create... free to play redefined!

To learn more about the Arma 2: Free project please visit the product´s website at www.arma2.com/free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mgao249jNg.swf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Arma2 Free

I finally decided to look into ARMA a few weeks ago. I started by seeing how playable it is on my older pc. With settings adjusted to GR quality, I get decent enough frames to be playable.

My issue is that after spending a dozen hours between basic training, tweaking, downloading, etc. I've found that the single mission (demo) that comes with Arma2Free is garbage.

It's like running around with a bunch of BF 2 AI. Though there are 5 or 6 friendlies with me, they scatter and don't seem to work together. We run into an opposing force with a BTR and each of us is cut down one by one.

It's no fun at all. Players are able to use modded missions as long as there are no assets or other mods required, just mission scripts for Arma2Free. Before I uninstall this game, I thought I should try and find out whether there is mods out there that are worth while. If not then I've wasted enough time on Arma and am glad I didn't invest any money in it. The gameplay in their demo mission is horrible, I can't imagine what they are shooting for, releasing a demo mission that makes most players want to chuck the game.

Lightspeed's IT mod for Arma is the main rreason I am interested in the game. I like the mechanics and challenge of the weapons, but unless I can get into a GR level of immersive gameplay, I see no point in messing with the game any longer.

Am I right in thinking that Lightspeed's IT missions will require mods? I saw something about an ACE mod but don't know what it is or whether it's required.

I need to find some vanilla missions that don't require mods. Some fun ones because this is my last effort with this game. I am very unimpressed with the gameplay of the SP mission that comes with the game. It seems like bad marketing to not put their best foot forward with the included missions. I felt like I was in a server with a bunch of random pubs, everyone off in their own world. Is that what Arma SP is like? Maybe GR spoiled me, but that type of BF 2 AI is no fun to play alongside.

@Mark

Yeah, Lightspeeds IT missions require some addons(mods)

AI Squad Command

Have a look at the above .pdf for basic squad commands.

I have the full game but assume all of the functionality for controlling AI team mates is in the free version.

When Arma 2 is working correctly the AI team members are decent and sometimes can be very good. However, at times they can be totally unresponsive to the commands you issue. Not sure if it is a path finding issue or Arma just loses its way. Eventually they will recover from being brain dead. Agreed, not very immersive when this happens.

When directing AI:

spacebar+ 3

spacebar+ 7

spacebar+ 8

spacebar+9 (still have not got this to work well for me)

are your friends.

I have read that when in a tight set them to "danger" and "crouch only" and they will be more help.

Of course when wanting to move at a faster pace set them to "aware" and "stand up"

Takes awhile to get use to all the menus for sure.

SP missions at ARMAHOLIC

It will say if they require mods or not. Most have user comments that you can use as a review.

Depending on the scripter some missions may allow team switching which is alittle but not exactly like GR soul switching.

The default key for this is "T".

Hope you can find some decent missions. Arma is a good game but can be difficult to find the sweet spot.