No Contest!

Hi,

All my GR play, from the first GR to GRAW2, has been on PC.

I've just bought a PS3! This was not for gaming but because it contains a very good HD DVD player and it's proved to be a good buy. It loads/initates DVD contents much faster than other dedicated players and produces a top notch picture into the bargin. It's also internet connectable and can be updated.

Not to waste the gaming possibilities I bought, among others, GRAW2 for the PS3. Graphics are good but the control interface is a nightmare!!!! In some cases you have to depress THREE buttons/triggers simultaneously to make things happen. Compared with a mouse/keyboard combo it's sluggish and almost totally unintuative and my favourite weapon accessory, the scope, is almost useless with no magnification.

Worst of all, in my opinion anyway, is that you cannot change the button, trigger assignments to suit your personal preferences, essential if you're going optimise your reactions and responses.

I always thought that the anti console fraternity were prone to exaggeration in their condemnation of the devices but now, having experienced both first hand, I can appreciate the criticisms.

Mike.

Umm the PS3 doesnt have a HD DVD Player... its a BluRay :blink:

Hi Kleaneasy,

I know the PS3 contains a Blu Ray format DVD player. That's why I bought it !!

This is a common confusion! The format that Toshiba developed has the same initials as the general abbreviation for High Definition eg. HD

Both HD and Blu Ray format systems produce High Definition (HD) output therefore are HD players.

Either way it's disappointing from a gaming point of view.

Mike.

They may well both produce a high def image but the PS3 doesnt have a HD DVD drive/ player it is Blu Ray. I dont mean to sound awkward but put it this way, i dont image Sony would be happy to have someone refer to their precious bluray as HD DVD player when its their competators format choice ;)

In regard to the game, the Xbox360 version seems universally accepted as the better of the various platforms when it comes to GRAW 2. Of course its a matter of preference but from countless feedback they seem to run from top to bottom.... Xbox360 - PC - PS3.

They may well both produce a high def image but the PS3 doesnt have a HD DVD drive/ player it is Blu Ray. I dont mean to sound awkward but put it this way, i dont image Sony would be happy to have someone refer to their precious bluray as HD DVD player when its their competators format choice ;)

In regard to the game, the Xbox360 version seems universally accepted as the better of the various platforms when it comes to GRAW 2. Of course its a matter of preference but from countless feedback they seem to run from top to bottom.... Xbox360 - PC - PS3.

Hi Kleaneasy,

Apart from the fact that I don't give a 'monkeys' what Sony might think, we're into semantics, let's agree to differ?

Regarding feedback. I've no experience of Xbox nor am am I interested. As I said, this purchase was primarily for a BLURAY player as Warner appear to have begun the demolishion of Toshiba's HD format with their announce to withdraw support.

Trigger happy 'Run and Gunners' may prefer the Xbox for GRAW and comprise the majority but for realistic/tactical military gaming GRAW on the PC is tops.

I still dislike the controller interface intensely but my skill is improving, slowly. Actually, for DVD manipulation I've bought a PS3 compatible mini remote. It has all the standard DVD type buttons AND the important PS3 buttons, as well. Ideal replacement for the Sixasis controller for DVD management.

Mike.

Edited by tecmic

• 2 weeks later...

FINALY a real FPS player that has some decent gaming sense .

Great to see more gamers mention that consoles using a joypad is slow and limiting and crap.

I doubt at the current rate of games will get any better until console fps games support stock Keyboard/mouse

as the main control method over joysticks/joypad.

Its funny that most of the thread is taking about the PS3 comes with a High def 'blueray' disc player

instead of the rest of the topic .

Its easy to see how consoles before PC and consoles using joypad has ruined GR series , R6 series , etc

The recent release of more content for console editions shows the companys want to support console players

that dont really seem to have a decent taste in gaming and just throw money at any company for the

recent game with pretty graphics that they can play on a tv/screen with their noobpad .

Joypad and joysticks have their place but they shouldnt be supported on Windows/Mac/Linux/Consoles

for RTS and FPS games period .

FINALY a real FPS player that has some decent gaming sense .

Great to see more gamers mention that consoles using a joypad is slow and limiting and crap.

I doubt at the current rate of games will get any better until console fps games support stock Keyboard/mouse

as the main control method over joysticks/joypad.

Its funny that most of the thread is taking about the PS3 comes with a High def 'blueray' disc player

instead of the rest of the topic .

Its easy to see how consoles before PC and consoles using joypad has ruined GR series , R6 series , etc

The recent release of more content for console editions shows the companys want to support console players

that dont really seem to have a decent taste in gaming and just throw money at any company for the

recent game with pretty graphics that they can play on a tv/screen with their noobpad .

Joypad and joysticks have their place but they shouldnt be supported on Windows/Mac/Linux/Consoles

for RTS and FPS games period .

Hi charliebrownau,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I can't believe we are alone in this thinking.

Staying with the original theme of this thread :D In the month since posting I've bought/downloaded several other genres, namely driving and skiing. One of the driving games (Grand Turismo HD concept) has jaw dropping photorealistic graphics. Many say they put gameplay before graphics but, for me, good graphics are as important as good gameplay and in some genres, more important! (Flight simulation for example)

Unfortunately, like the other PS3 games, its controlled by the Sixaxis gamepad, very frustrating and totally unnatural but it leaves PC graphics back in the dark ages !! (Unless of course you're going to throw BIG money at a cutting edge PC with HD capability)

Having used the PS3 for a month now, the one overriding impression I get is how restrictive it is. Choices are what what Sony chooses to provide. (reminds me of Apple) Good third party games are few and far between and the original PSP games I wouldn't touch with a barge pole!! (mind numbing rubbish)

Almost nothing is individually adjustable or modifiable, as it is with PC, but it is possible to connect keyboard and mouse through USB ports and wirelessly but PS3 GRAW2 isn't written to take these inputs!!!

Fortunately, it doesn't stop there!

I've discovered some software that will stream games from PC to PS3. This means it's possible to play my PC GRAW2, with keyboard/mouse inputs, on the PS3, YEAH!!!!! All I've got to do is get a successful login to this co's website to download the software. (having trouble at the minute)

Finally, alongside the other restrictions, my initial enthusiasm for the PS3's internet capability is severely dented, having learnt that the browser is confined to connecting to Sony associated sites, not the full internet! Perhaps I'm expecting too much but it's got to come, surely?

Mike. :hmm:

Edited by tecmic

I am not sure what people mean buy depressing 3 buttons to make things happen. The control scheme is the same as the 360 version.

The last poster is also misleading in his remarks. The PS3 browser will connect to any website but only downloads items form Sony approved websites. Otherwise they could compromise the unit encryption. You can't fault them for protecting themselves. The issue lies with crackers, not Sony.

I am not sure what your experience is with consoles and how they work but based on your remarks I would say your experience is nil. Sony's console is actually much more open than the 360 - which has no browser at all. You can also put mods on Unreal 3 - last count there were over 50 mods of one type or another.

KB/M is only available for titles that support them. That isn't a PS3 issue, it is a developer choice. Most people do not want a KB/M offering as they do not want to game against KB/M players. Most people do not want to drag a KB/M into their living room just to be competitive. If they want to play a PC game they play on the PC. And KB/M doesn't own in every game. An example is the Splinter Cell series where rotational cameras and analog speed adjustments rule over the KB.

The console isn't a PC nor is it meant to be. When you learn a little more about the units I think your appreciation will grow.

Edited by Hatchetforce