WD to join the RAF

WytchDokta

Wednesday, 25th October. The date is set. The time has come. My first selection/application interview will take place on that afternoon. It signifies the start of the RAF application/selection process for me.

I've been waiting my whole life for this.

Keep it strong, never be weak. No surrender, no retreat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will only be about half an hour long, so I'll probably just be filling in paperwork. A few weeks after that, I guess that I will be going for the AST (selection test (some seven parts for the RAF)) & medical test, which is followed by another (longer) interview. After that will be my fitness test too - run 1.5 miles is something like 12 minutes 11 seconds, which I can so far complete under that time.

Thanks for all the well-wishing so far people! All your words of support/well-wishing mean more than words to me.

EDIT: I just took the sample AST (selection test) that's on the RAF website. I scored 4 out of 7 (I didn't pass the Work Rate, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering parts in the sample.) My aim is to live & breathe RAF from here on in. I want to get that score to 7 before I go for my AST.

So it will take place at 10:00, I don't need to bring anything special, only myself. Just doing some essential route planning now; I'm taking the bus in, but I need to know where the AFCO is in relation to the arrival bus station (I know where the AFCO is, but I don't know where the arrival bus station is, other than "it's not very far" from the AFCO.) The earliest bus arrives at 09:15 so that should be enough to find my way from the arrival bus station to the AFCO.

Trouble is, the bus won't go to there from my town, I have to go to one of the next towns over to catch bus from the departure bus station. Typical!

I'm gonna raid thw wardrobe later too, find a nice shirt and tie (first impressions are everything) to wear.

Just checked my mobile earlier, having not checked it in about two days, and there was a message on there from my father, that asked me if I'd like him to come with me on Wednesday. Those of you who don't know, I live with my mother (not through my choosing) and since my car crash at the start of March, I've only been able to see my father about three times, due to transport issues.

The first time I saw him after my crash was at my 21st birthday party which too place at my fathers' house. I'll always remember his last three words to me before I left to come home - "I miss you son." You may think, what's the big deal. But when you've been through what I've been through and are still fighting the battle that ended six years ago, you'll understand the importance of those words. No amount of words can describe what I've been through over the last six years. Those four words mean more than anything to me, and I shall remember those words until the day I die.

I think my father wants to come with me because he's worried about me getting there. As you know, I was going to bus it. Couldn't blag any transport here, my mother is adamant she doesn't need anything in the city where I'm going for my interview, therefore she won't take me there (she's working anyway, but she wasn't going to take me there on one of her days off)

I feel that my father more understands the importance of the interview for me. Seeing that text message on my mobile phone really made my day.

Well that was successful. Journey there on the bus was long and boring. It took over one hour to get there on bus and the bus stopped to pick people up at every bus stop along the way!

The careers advisor was in the same trade I'm thinking of doing, so I was able to able to get alot more info. He asked me some questions on what I knew about that trade already etc. Being slightly nervous, my confidence level had dropped a little (and he picked up on that), which is one thing that can prevent me going into the trade I want to do if that happens at the next formal interview (after the AST)

I booked my AST (selection test) for the 8th of November, approximately two weeks away. So I'd probably be best taking time out for two weeks - no modding, minimal posting here and using the computer while I do what I need to do prepare for my AST.

I'll be in touch soon,

~WD

The documentation that the advisor gave me re: the AST the subsequent tests states that:

"You will not lose marks for an incorrect answer"

And that is the exact words of the last sentance of the publication before the practice AST pages begin. So, if I make sure i answer all the questions, even if I answer some incorrectly, it will be better than leaving out the answers to questions I can't answer.

Welcome to service and congrats!

Hey man, I'm not in yet. Only when I'm in I'll be attested to the RAF.

@Ryan243, I've chosen a role within the RAF ground support personnel, as part of the provost (security and defence) section. As it's you, I'm going to keep you guessing as to which specific trade it is to which I've applied. :devil::hehe: