5.1 Speakers - Recommendations?

Ruin

I'm looking for a set of 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers for my computer as an x-mas gift. We're moving into a new place, and I want to use my machine as my stereo in my room.

I basically want a good set of speakers (1 Sub, and 5 others) for under $200 -$150 would be ideal.

I have an SB Live! Audio [9000] 5.1.

Here's some that I'm looking at now:

Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System (6-Piece)

Logitech - 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Altec Lansing - 5.1 Speaker System (6-Piece)

It seems that the pickings are slim, so I figure someone has to have SOME recommendations for me. :)

Thanks guys!

I've got the Creative Inspire 5300 Sub and 5 Satellite System here, (presently on an Audigy, although probably gonna upgrade the Audigy soon too, not cos it actually needs it as such lol, merely because everything else has pretty much been upgraded recently except for that lol, the Audigy has seen 2 1/2 years hard service, although it's still going strong tho hehe).

I use my PC as my stereo in my Computer room now, (but before I had these Speakers I had a seperate Hi-Fi System sat in here with me lol), and they are bloody loud and of very high quality too :)!!!

The price didn't break the bank either m8 and I'd recommend them to anyone interested too, no complaints on them here and very happy with their performance overall :)!!

Does your sound card have a digital out?

Not a clue. I'd assume so.

Thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming! :)

Well, if it does, you should get the Cambridge Soundworks DTT 3500, I have them and they're really good. It has a digital signal processor so you can take advatage of the digital out and have much better quality sound than any speakers using analog.

Okay, Here's my card.

It's Digital and Analog... cool.

@KP, you rais a good point. Having a headphone jack would be nice. I have a place for it on the front of my computer, but I haven't hooked it up yet (hell, I don't know if it can be done with that card or not).

@DS, I'd be interested if my card is compatible with it... what do you think?

As it is, I'd loose my microphone jack just to hook up all my other speakers.

Is there a way around this, other then getting a whole new card.

@SB, those Cambridge that you showed me, how do they hook up? Each speaker to it's own jack, or does it hook into that amp in the image?

I'm not sound expert, so I appreciate the help. :)

With a built-in CMSS® upmix switch, you can experience a dramatic 6.1 gaming soundfield with Sound Blaster 5.1 sound cards.

Wired volume/bass control with power switch and a headphone jack

Does that answer your question ;)

If you want, I'll even sell you my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 unused 'still sealed' sound card which uses 6.1 :D

www.creativelabs.com

Please let me know.

Thanks

DS

@SB, those Cambridge that you showed me, how do they hook up? Each speaker to it's own jack, or does it hook into that amp in the image?

I'm not sound expert, so I appreciate the help. :)

That orange plug is the digital out. That goes to the digital signal processor (DSP). Then all the speakers plug into that. Also, the speakers use real speaker cables (the ones with lots of wires inside that give better quality), and not the crappy mini-jack type cables. Also, it comes with tripods for the rear speakers.

Heya Ruin,

There's no need for you to completely change ya Card is the good news m8 lol.

If you also have a Headphone Speaker Jack on the front too, then if you use a Headset/Mic combination (as obviously the Plugs for a Headset are close together), it's doubtful you'd get one lead right around to the rear with one already up front lol??? If you have both up front you should be sorted anyway with the seperate inputs, ya Headset can go up Front and ya Speakers to the Rear as usual and job done :)!!

If you haven't however, then you can still plug ya Headset/Mic combination into the Rear as well as the 6 Speaker System and that's very easily solved too for around $5 or £3 for a "Y - Splitter Cable" depending on ya location lol, (just as another option for you to solving that problem quickly and easily lol, and any decent Electrical Goods Store should stock the Y - Splitters too), <ahttp://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'>!! Magnum, this may be of use to you too m8, there's no need to continue unplugging everything to use your Headset/Mic Combi m8 if you just use one of these :).......

hpsplitter.jpg

I one of these Splitters in line so that the "Headset Speaker Jack, and 1 of the Speaker Jacks" plug into the Splitter, which then obviously inturn plugs straight into the Rear Jack Port on the Soundcard (either the "Green or Black" inputs will suffice on the Rear (in your case that is Ruin). Then obviously your Mic Jack goes straight into the Reddish/Pink input on the Rear too:)!! No performance is lost doing this at all, but what can happen is "IF" you leave the "volume up" on the Headphones when they are not in use, it can very slightly reduce the volume on the Main Speakers as obviously a very small amount of power is going to both devices. That's clearly easily solved by turning the HeadPhones off or just turning the volume of them right back down when they aren't in use lol :)!!

Also, for ya further info if it helps in your quest. The Inspires I have (5300's), can be used as either Digital or Analogue and the Plugs are colour coded for ease of use as has been discussed too (making it easy to plug it into cards like the Audigy and SBLives as examples), the Orange plug can also be plugged into an Analogue Jack Port anyway for anyone who doesn't have a Digital Input available and still has or is thinking about getting the "Creative Inspire Speaker System" (thse may be different to the type that Super-Bob is refering to so please don't confuse his post on how the Orange plug works on them to this one, although I'd assume that they'd actually work the same though lol), it really doesn't matter essentialy with the Inspires. You can then also simply control whether they operate Digitaly or as Analogue within the Soundcards Software too, that's all!!!!

Hope that's of continuing use :)!!

Edited by Urban_Tiger

LOL Ruin,

It's not that I'm "chalk full" m8 lol, it's actually all a lot simpler than you may think it is or be giving yourself due credit for. Once you have the kit in front of you the chances are you'd "sus it out in mere seconds" anyway m8 and realise how easy it is then :)!!

But, can talk you thru it by all means if you need something to refer to to make sure ya installation goes to plan, but ultimately I'll probably be "teaching you to suck eggs" anyway m8 lol :)!!

With your Card it is very simple and made easier too, all the Inputs on the Rear are colour coded as you have seen from the Pictures and no doubt from owning it anyway lol. Then..."Using the Creative Inspire Speakers as an example too" (it also doesn't matter if it's specifically the aforementioned "5300's" or any of them essentially, they are all colour coded in the same manner too to ease installation).

All you do is get ya Speaker System in front of you, then basically in the back of the SubWoofer are some Inputs too, these are clearly labelled and colour coded too so you can then just plug the 5 Satellite Speakers straight into these labelled Inputs on the Rear of the SubWoofer, and also a seperate Volume Control you get with most of the 6 Speaker Systems too.

After you have done that there are then the 3 leads that need to go from the SubWoofer and into your Soundcard itself. 1 Orange, 1 Green, and 1 Black. They plug directly into the corresponding same coloured Inputs on the Rear Interface of the Soundcard, and that's it m8, it really is that simple :)!!

Then, if you also wish to use the Y Splitter that I mentioned for ease of use with a Headset/Mic combination. All you need to do there is remove the Black Speaker Jack that comes from the SubWoofer to the Soundcard, and plug the Y-Splitter into the Black Input on the Rear in place of the Black Jack you just removed. Then plug the removed Black Jack into one of the Inputs on the Y-Splitter you just inserted, and then into the remaining one you can then plug in your Headphones Jack. Then the Mic Jack also from your Headset (which should be colour coded Red too, or at least labelled for "Mic") goes straight into the Rear of the Soundcard into the Red (Dark Pink) Input and that too is then set up ready to go if you do take that route too!!

It sounds long winded etc, but once you have the kit infront of you, you'll see immediately what is being refered to and you'll have it all plugged in and working in under 5 minutes, no problems!!

The Speaker Systems require no instalation of further Drivers etc if that too is a concern, they just plug in and ya Soundcard oes the rest the same as plugging in a cheapo set of Twin Speakers too lol!!

If you wish to then adjust settings then you do it in the usual manner too using the "Windows Volume Control", or if you have installed it with the Creative Software Package, the "Surround Mixer" can also be used. The Creative Software installs an "Audio HQ" Applet into your Control Panel anyway and all of the Setup features for the Soundcard can be adjusted as required via that :)!! You may have already used it anyway, once you have plugged in the new Speaker System just go thru the options and change any settings that you require. Also in the "Sound and Audio Device Propeties" under the "Sound Tab", and then the lower "Advanced Tab"you may also need to change the present Speaker Configuration from perhaps "Desktop Stereo Speakers" for example to the "5.1 Surround" option too :)!!

In all honesty tho, once you look, you will soon see how the options available work and you can't really ###### anything up by experimenting with those settings either, so do just that until you get the best sound for you m8!!

Hoping thatt's of continuing use to you, and happy hunting for the choice of which Speaker System you do decide on in the end too lol :)!!

Edited by Urban_Tiger

UT, you're a life saver man! :D Perfect, it all makes sense! :D

I did some price checking. I found the Creative Labs Inspire 6.1 for $85 from Gateway.

The best price I found on those Cambridge Speakers came from the site $170, I saw prices like $300 and $250.

I REALLY like the Cambridge speakers. So I'll keep them in mind. :D

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.