Eagle Claw, ready for beta testing

John,

I played the latest version for awhile yesterday afternoon (ran out of time so couldn't finish it), but I'm a little confused about something. I'm running Rahnman's weapons mod. Made the modifications to do the "sound test" by installing everything.

Then played this map Tuesday with TAW on their server. Had to use your .bat file to play the map running on their server.

Then last night, got started late in joining TAW and started it up with your .bat file. They were running a tdm map which I had, but I instead got the message that their server was running a different version (not of the map, but of the application...same message you get if you don't have Rahnman's mod installed and try to join a server running his mod). I had to put my local folder back and run Rahnman's .bat to connect to the tdm map they were running (and played just fine the rest of the night with them).

So that has me wondering (because maybe I'm a noob at this and am missing something?), are we having to switch which .bat we use depending on which maps are running? I'm really confused why I had problems connecting to their server running your .bat with it setup to play the map we're testing here.

EDIT: Re-reading this, not sure if it's confusing. If so, let me know and I'll clarify a little more. And Bob...Elevator Music...good one!

Edited by JackDoe

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack,

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is here as I only play coop missions so I'm not sure what is needed for the TDM maps.

I may sound like a noob here as well by saying I thought you only used a weapon mod for coop play, hence the name of Rahn's weapon mod, "Rahnmans Coop Kits"

Maybe Rahn can clarify this some more or offer a solution to the problem. If this is a big problem then it might make the sound mod more trouble than it's worth.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

John

I sent a PM to Bob asking him if he had any trouble (although I think he said he uses his own .bat files at some point, but I could be wrong on that). Maybe he can ask anyone else that was online Thursday night if they starting it with the sound file .bat or the Rahnman's Mod .bat. They start with coop and then switch to tdm, so this might be something we need to test on a server.

No idea Rahn. I didn't ask at the time. But maybe I don't need to make as many changes as what John's instructions say. Here's Bob's response:

Jack, I still use Rahn's mod batch and not Johns batch. I just put the sound_rego_4.xml file in the sound folder of Rahn's mod in the Local folder.

Therefore the contents of Rahn' sound folder is:

weapons folder

bp_banks.xml (bretzies file sounds)

custom_sounds.xml (this is Rahn's not John's) They are both the same.

sound_rego_1.xml (Rahn's)

sound_rego_4.xml (John's)

sound_rego_12.xml (Rahn's)

That is all.

You only have to add the sound_rego4.xml file to the sound folder.

So it appears that those of us running Rahn's weapons mod only need to copy a single xml into the sounds folder (and this is how I ultimately connected Thursday night after I had "put things back"). No need to rename folders and such (unless that was only for testing the sounds in the other thread?).

Edited by JackDoe

Hi John, we played V1.2 (this time easy mode) and completed just 2 objectives because we was short of time. Objective Dragon_Wagon and Prison. Both worked normal as it did with V1.0 version. At the prision, the AIs was also inside of the cells which was closed as well. I could not see any change to V1.0. There was no problem to complete both missions!

I have seen one little graphic issue where a big door is not even with the ground.

At the LZ, go down to the first street cross and get in to the big vehicle building on the left.

Just go trought it and at the end there is a big closed metal door with a small door inside.

You can use the small door hole to go trough but the metal door around it does not fit with the bottom.

I forgot to save my screen print, sorry.

Edited by kaapo

Jack,

The method that you mentioned is really the method that I wanted to use because it is very simple and after the sound file is put in the players can keep running the mod the way they always do. I thought that using new batch files was a little too advanced for some players. At any rate if this works for you then the sound mod is still good and there is no need to scrap it. Could you do us a favor and ask the TAW players if who use the new batch files if they had any issues with this method? That way we can know if it was just an anomoly or if it something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks,

Rahn

Beta Testers,

I am seeing here that there are many of you who are taking a long time to test the mission. If you want to test it but don't have a couple of hours you can use my "GodMode" version of my mod. It will make you invulnerable with unlimited ammo so you can focus on testing and not on staying alive. Look in the "misc. files" under GRAW2 downloads.

Cheers,

Rahn

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for testing again, I will take a look at the door you mention but it could be due to the uneven ground, I have to make the doors fit the door frame so if the ground is not level there will be a gap at the bottom of the door.

Rahn,

If you think your method of installing and running the mod is better then I don't have a problem changing it, I wanted to make it as simple as possible to run the mod by using batch files but in doing this it does make installing it more complex.

Using your idea how would we run the sound mod using regular weapons? is is just a case of renaming the folders manually?

You have more experience of using weapon mods than I do so would it be possible to explain how you would go about installing and running the sound mod using both regular and a weapon mod, I'm sure you could explain it better than me so I would be very grateful if you could do a quick write up.

It would be nice if we could get the installation and running of the sound mod as simple as possible before the mission is released.

Cheers,

John

John,

We also use Rahn's mod for playing TDM on the coop server. Also I ran the sound mod in regular weapons by putting a sound folder into the English folder. I just copied the sound folder from Rahn's folder to the English folder. It works.

This works when playing on your own computer as in Create Server because you do not have to rename the Local folder when playing on your own server.

Edited by mexicobob

Minor thing, but if you switch to Easy on button on wall when you start the game and go to exit the small door to side of building you do not get the press x to open door message until you go towards the main big door.

Bob, are you saying that you have both the English and Rahn's weapon mod in the Local folder, I was told this can cause the game to crash when using a weapon mod.

CJo1964, yeah that's the way I designed it to be and it's the same in easy or hard mode, the side door is just there in case you need it.

I can confirm what Bob and Jack said, because I did the same.

At first I thought it was necessary to use/install the sound mod as given by you John, but when I compared the files I saw that only the required sound files needed to be copied and dropped in the right folders.

I tested the map with default weapons and with Rahn's weapon mod and everything worked just fine.

The sounds are still working as intended and I didn't have any crashes, but I must say that I only tested it on my own online created server. (but it's not a map that can be played alone in a short time... lol :rofl: )

It's a challenging map in which you really need to stay focused if you don't wanna get killed.

There's a voice saying something about 'long range" when you approach one of the lower buildings on the left (at the beginning). I thought that it was someone mumbling on my TV when I heard it the first time LOL.

It's a nice touch, but I think it could be a bit louder.

The prison is also a fantastic building, but you know what I miss in all those cells? A toilet :drool: ...

That would make it even more realistic.

But in all, the new sounds are great and the new buildings and features are awesome.

Edited by Rico686

Hi Bob,

The way that you have everything set up is ideal for most players. Sometimes, however, for some unknown reason some players have problems with the game crashing if they have their English folder inside the local folder with the mod folders. Don't know why this happens to some players but it definitely does. I usually recommend having a seperate local folder to keep the English folder in.

John,

I will see what I can do about putting together something for you but I am studying for midterms next week and don't have much time to devote to it. If you can put off the release of this mission for a week or so I might be able to get you something.

Thanks,

Rahn

Well this will make things a lot easier, doing it your way Bob will make the installation process so much easier.

As I mentioned before I was told that having the English folder in the Local folder along with the weapon mod would cause problems, that was the reason for the batch files and two Local folders.

EDIT:

You were posting the same time as me Rahn, TBH I'm not sure of the best way to go with the sound mod, Bob's way is so much easier.

If the majority of people don't have any problems using Bob's idea maybe that will be the best way to go but also include an alternative installation process if some have problems.

Edited by JohnTC02

Thanks Rahn on the info on GodMode. I installed that which made testing the map much faster. In addition, I just had to add the sound_rego_4.xml file to the sounds folder on it for everything to work. I think Bob's method is definitely the simplest. Just add the xml to the sound folder.

And John, great map now that I had a chance to get all the way through it. Didn't find any problems.

Hi John,

Bob's way is the way I wanted to use except for having the English folder in the local folder. For everyone who uses a weapon mod it is vastly easier to just drop the file into the sound folder.

You could just put the sound folder into the English folder inside the same local folder and label it as the "standard" installation. Then you could have a caveat for anyone who has problems explaining the alternative method using a second local folder. That way it is very easy to begin with and players only need read further in the installation instructions if they have a problem.

How does that sound?

Rahn

Hmm, ok how about this as a revised installation instructions.

Once downloaded you will have a folder called "Custom Sounds" in that folder are two more folders, these are:

Sound

English

Copy the English folder and place it in your Local folder, if you already have an English folder allow it to overwrite.

Copy both files in the Sound folder ("custom_sounds.xml and sound_rego_4.xml) and place them in the sound folder of your weapon mod, you may already have the file "custom_sounds.xml" in your sound folder, you can replace it with the new one if you wish but they are both the same.

Please note that the sound mod is only compatible with the latest version of Rahnman's or Brettzies weapon mod and you must use the unbundled version.

You can now run the game as normal when playing coop missions, when playing my missions you will hear the new sounds.

When using regular weapons for multiplayer just rename your Local folder to something else or the game will trigger the anti-cheat.

Some may have problems when using a weapon mod while having the English folder in the Local folder, if the game crashes then rename the English folder to something else.

Would this work?? :unsure:

If the English folder is just renamed to something else would that be enough to stop the conflict problem for those that are having problems while using a weapon mod?

Slight problem i can see, is when i use the Rahnmans mod personally, I rename this folder english and put into the local folder to make installation easier. That way i dont have to use any batch file to start the game. I just start the game and it boots up with the Rahnman mod.

So you see, this way i cant have 2 english folders inside the local folder.

Throws spanner in the works......lol.

That's the problem, it's almost impossible to allow for everyone's setup as many do it different ways.

All I can do is include the instructions so the mod will work for the default setup for the weapon mod, those that use a different installation will have to work it out for themselves.

More than fair John.

Came across another quirk today on the map.....minor,but may prevent map completion ?

Re the shed where you are supposed to C4 the 2 large trucks (cant remember what they r called):-

Opened one main door and proceeded to frag areas where Tangos were thought to be.

One frag (or a few combined) exploded the far truck.

When the shed was clear of tangos, first intact truck was c4d and blew ok.

Went over to the exploded other truck and could not C4 it even though the C4 command was there to do it.

Any fix for this possible scenario ?

Hi CJo1964,

Haha, these Dragon Wagons are causing more than their fair share of problems, it doesn't matter how you destroy these vehicles so you can use nades if you wish.

Not sure why you had that problem though, if you partially destroyed it with nades you may have problems planting c4 on it, when the game detects that a vehicle has been hit by an explosion but it's not enough to completely destroy it some parts of the vehicle are removed and replaced by dynamic ones so they can fly off, ie, doors, wheels and some body panels which can make it hard to plant c4 on the remaining vehicle.

The other option here would be to finish it off with more nades or GL.

I'll test this out myself to see whats happening then find a fix.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Yesterday me, Bismarck and Jimmy were playing the map on one of the MIB servers with the Rahnman's mod and all went good until we wanted to use the elevator for the 4th time. The message to get the elevator down didn't appear anymore so we couldn't use the elevator.

We tried everything to get the elevator down but nothing worked. So we couldn't finish the map.

Another thing was when the three of us went up with the elevator for the 1st time; Bismarck fell down through the elevator...

That's it so far; up until the elevator we haven't found any other issues.

Rico