Operation myLand

daro48

Hello,

Operation myland 0.3 is now ready for testing.

This map/mission is my first one, but i think all should be working ;)

This is simply map, where you have to destroy 3 mules and one adat.

The map is available for download here (no password):

coop_daro48_myland_v03

I think you will enjoy testing.

I’m waiting for the feedback,

Cheers Daro.

I would like to thanks John for a few words of introduction;)

Hey daro, great to see you have taken the plunge and made a mission, shame there aren't more modders out there doing the same.

I was feeling a bit lonely rattling around in the beta forums so it's good to have some company. :tumbleweed:

I'll take a look at your mission and let you know how I get on.

:thumbsup:

John

Killed 390 bad guys and died twice. Triggers worked well.

You seemed to place tons of AIs and vegetation onto the map. Those enemies tended to group themselves into the size of 3-5, making it almost impossible for a sniper (especially for them who have M99's) class to finish the map alone. Actually, I'm wonder if I should have chosen a support gunner instead of a assaulter or rifleman.

And for the large scale of vegetation, my PC surely had a hard time rendering the grass. The serious lag made finding the right path a little difficult.

Three helicopters didn't make a threat since M2HB's are available (although the HMGs' lines of fire is obstacled badly by buildings), but I suppose the tanks are player-killers. It's uncommon to put tanks into such narrow places in my opinion. Plus, tanks changed their directions too rapidly to enable Mitchell to place C4 bombs on them.

Last but not least, is there any additional gameplay content after destroying the objectives, such as sending in extration blackhawks? My GRAW2 crashed (it said eventmanager error) immediately after detonating the ADAT, so I had no chance to confirm that.

Hi Daro,

I tried out the mission and everything worked just fine. I really liked the close quarters feel of the map. Most of my comments will be along the same line as candy's. When I finished the map by blowing the last objective the mission simply crashed. There was no "well done ghosts" or any such thing to let me know I was done. The game simply crashed. Also, I think that the map had the feel of a maze. Although there were some open areas it felt like there was only one real path to follow. This can make things really difficult if you have more than a few players. Everyone tends to form a line and it gets frustrating when you want to move forward but you can't because you would have to push someone else out of the way. So I think you should open the map up a little by removing some of the buildings and allow several paths which the ghosts can follow to any given objective. I also had vertigo several times after respawning, not really knowing where I was and having to figure it out everytime got frustrating. Again I think this can be solved by not having so many dead ends in the map.

I liked the start of the mission but I didn't like having the spawn area come immediately under attack by snipers. I like having the opportunity to "catch my breath" and start clean when I respawn. Getting sniped as soon as you turn around is frustrating. So it might be a good idea to put a fence up at the initial spawn which would protect the players when they come in at that initial spawn point.

I also think you should have more spawn locations. There were many times when I would get close to an objective, get killed and have to run "all the way" back. This was especially frustrating when combined with that vertigo feeling ....... "Where am I ...... oh yeah....... I need to head East ...... where was that path again? ...... man that's a long way away ....." and so on.

On the positive side, I really like the placement of the snipers (aside from the initial spawn) and the 50 cal machine guns. I shot back in my seat several times when I turned a corner only to see that 50 light up!! Very nice. I didn't experience any lag and the AI were lightning quick. I got to see the attack heli take off from the ground as well. I thought that was really cool since they almost always appear on the horizon. I especially like the CQB feel of the map. I like being able to walk around in a map. All that crouching and sneaking around is fine but I like to take it (and dish it out) like a man! :D

Excellent Job on your first run of your first map!!

Thanks !!

Rahn

Edited by rahnman

Hi all!

Thank you for feedback, I did not think that someone will respond at all xD.

The crash is totally my fault, i changed something before bundling and didn't check it :whistle:, the map is not ending after adat :/ but this is fixed now, also i'll remove a grass (but i need a time) .

I'll try do map more accessible (first idea was : i don't release this map so it is good as is)

Once again thanks all for feedback and testing.

I'll try to remake it asap

Thank

Daro

I try like this map came a few people.

The beginning of the movement of the sniper and the enemy made ​​a mental not.

Would not you need some cleanup?

I can not defend the respawn area does not provide that part.

This is subject to attack enemies with nothing more than a continued failure to remove the enemy dies.

It is sad.

Well ....

I have the floor for moving slowly along the grass seems to be seen.

Also, the floor shakes a bit of a problem, Is it the texture?

Other users also felt like shaking of the floor.

And while the mission to move the direction of the road by showing the complexity makes the confusion.

In the direction of the road I doubt that there is not supposed to display.

Lost the direction of the maze makes the same road.

How many times have I lost the way.wall.gif

(Or, as the map to make the battle whether in the city ...)

When installed in a few places use the ladder to kill the enemies seem to be smooth.

And you think you want to add that there are no more missions ...

During the course of each mission take out the two tanks,

C4 in the tank to install a labyrinth.

After the explosive C4 to the end he got a crash would not have got something.

Well, an interesting map.

However, the road is too complicated.

Another with the intention of yours did we create a maze-like roads?

Oh, respawn areas seem to be random fluctuations.

Respawn areas to gain a different look at the map gives a point.

Respawn points in two maps I want to want to specify what about.

After this map to be better than a good map .... smile.gif

First of all thanks for taking on the chore of creating new maps. Me and my gang are purely players and we are a bored lot without the likes of you and John TC02. I played the game last night with two others on a dedicated server. Some issues with drawing the textures for the grass, it would always draw about ten feet in front of my character as I moved. I agree on the initial spawn area. Snipers are bad enough but to have a 50 cal pointed directly at the spawn point? The layout was a bit crowded and maze like. We often joked that we were keeping an eye out for the cheese. The AI were pretty awsome with the way they moved around a lot. At times they would jump on a 50 cal, jump off and then back on again. Kept us on our toes. We ran into a couple of problems. First when a helicopter is shot down, if it's wrekage falls in the wrong place it is impossible to pass through the wrekage. Is it possible to make it bvanish after some time? Have seen this problem on other maps as well. Also, the problem that was a mission ender for two of our players. Me and another player crashed during play and when we rejoined the two black doors that were opened before were now back as closed and would not allow us to pass through. We pretty much just ran around on top of the buildings and shot at each other while our third player finished the game. We definately enjoyed the map and will play it more. Please keep the maps coming!

TGZ Puck

Hi all

I'm still working on the amendments (work, not much time).

TGZ Puck :

First when a helicopter is shot down, if it's wrekage falls in the wrong place it is impossible to pass through the wrekage. Is it possible to make it bvanish after some time?

unfortunatelly, there is no way to remove the heli wreck, after shot down, it is an unmanaged object. funny i asked this same question to John when we were testing veracruze mission xD

suneye2:

Oh, respawn areas seem to be random fluctuations.

the areas were too big and that's why you got different places of the respawn

TGZ Puck :

Also, the problem that was a mission ender for two of our players. Me and another player crashed during play and when we rejoined the two black doors that were opened before were now back as closed and would not allow us to pass through.

it looks like i need type more code :whistle:

suneye2:

Also, the floor shakes a bit of a problem, Is it the texture?

I have not done the lightmapping so i think this could be a problem

rahnman:

So I think you should open the map up a little by removing some of the buildings and allow several paths which the ghosts can follow to any given objective. I also had vertigo several times after respawning, not really knowing where I was and having to figure it out everytime got frustrating. Again I think this can be solved by not having so many dead ends in the map.

map was open in the first version, but as always, the players attempted to turn all the triggers at once, what was the cause of the formation of lag, so I decided to close the road at least in the first part of

JohnTC02

Ohh John! Making maps is cool, but I had no idea that so laborious, so today I thought myself that every tester should at least try to make a simple map before write anything. I remember some of my posts and now I know how much I could be annoying :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank for testing,

Cheers,

Daro

Edited by daro48

Hi all,

I made a few changes:

1. removed a grass (well most of it)

2. map in several places is now more accessible, It seems to me that I can't do more, but if you have any ideas, I'll be happy :)

3. I added two ladders in the tank hangar (shortcut)

4. game shouldn't crash after ADAT destruction

5. I have no idea what will happen with the doors if someone will crash I couldn't check it alone

6. I added few respawns places but still if you will play in chaotic way, you will have to run alot.

7. tanks are moving slooowly

I think it'a all changes,

Known issues:

when you destroy the heli with a 50 cal and it will not explode you may notice minor deficiencies in the animation but it's not lag. This problem is related to the heli that is not completely destroyed, so handling the triggers responsible for its start, landing and patrol are not interrupted. The solution is to use the M99 or ZEUS

below is a link to a new map:

coop_daro48_myland_v1

I hope that everything will be ok :)

Have a nice test :)

Cheers,

Daro

Edited by daro48

Greatly improved than the previous version. :thumbsup: No problem encountered.

A little suggestion about triggers:

1. the SetRespawnPoint triggers' effective areas are somewhat smaller than I thought. Maybe you can set their range to a farther distance, or putting more of them onto the map (if the range can't be modified, never made maps so I'm not sure about that).

2. The enemies at the extraction point spawns a bit late, putting the player into danger of contacting enemies in an open area without cover. Why not bind that trigger onto the destruction of that door?

the SetRespawnPoint triggers' effective areas are somewhat smaller than I thought. Maybe you can set their range to a farther distance, or putting more of them onto the map.

Please suggest where they would be located and when they would be run

if the range can't be modified, never made maps so I'm not sure about that

what I wrote to JohnTC02 just went for me - very long story of my posts :unsure:

The enemies at the extraction point spawns a bit late, putting the player into danger of contacting enemies in an open area without cover. Why not bind that trigger onto the destruction of that door?

I agree, this is a good idea, I'll change it for sure :)

Thank you for suggestion and feedback :)

Havent played since alpha, but will give it a try and let you know.

Daro I think you have done an excellent job. Tried my hand at map making and ended up swearing a lot and slitting my wrists. It is incredibly difficult.

Well done lad! :thumbsup:

Hi daro,

Had a play through v1, didn't see any problems with the mission itself, all the script seems to do what it should but at the end I found the layout a bit frustrating.

I didn't finish the map as I was unable to find the "c4" objective after destroying the tank the adat then the mule, all that was left was the c4 objective but I couldn't find my way to it, all the others here seemed to be able to complete the mission so I'll put it down to my age, getting old and senile. :rolleyes:

However there are some problems with your map, the lightmaps are not working, if you look inside the buildings the light level is the same as it is outside plus a lot of the static props are very dark along with some of the AI.

Looking at your map I can see you have rendered the lightmaps but you haven't added the tdb_texture_set.xml, you do have the lightmap_positions.xml but in the game they won't work but they do work in the editor.

A much better way is to convert your lightmaps using the atlas gen tool, this bakes all the lightmaps into one or two atlas files which makes load times quicker and uses less recourses in the game.

I also noticed that you are loading all the textures in the game from your texture_scope.xml, this seems to be ok on this map but on larger ones it can cause lag, you only need to load the textures that are needed for the buildings, props and landscape in your map.

All the way through the mission I had a strange shimmering effect on the landscape, it looks like you have used the atemp_ground for this but it shouldn't cause any problems, have a look at the ground in the editor to make sure the atemp_ground isn't overlapping to much as it looks like you have two layers that are a fraction to close together making the lower one bleed through the upper.

If you can't sort out the lightmaps give me a shout and I'll fix them for you. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

I am really grateful for your advice. :rolleyes:

I read a bit about the atlas gen but for now it is black magic for me :huh: .

So far I have focused mainly on the script, I did not want to AI standing steel in place without any reaction. I think I have succeeded? :unsure:

But there is still a problem with a door that seems to be no simple solution.

I did not do "lightsmap" for the entire map. I started doing it but after a period of more than 4 hours ( :wall: ) I resigned from this treatment: /

Ah, that explains why some were missing when I made the atlas lightmaps and got them working in the game, it can take anything up to 8 hours to render the lightmaps and depending on how powerful your PC is it could take even longer. :blink:

I agree about your scripting daro, nothing wrong there whatsoever, the AI are very alert and I had no lag at all so from that point the mission is good to go.

If you need any help with the lightmaps or if you can't get them rendered then send me the map when you are ready to release it and I'll sort them for you. :thumbsup:

For the ADAT and mule B (never mentioned whether it's B or C :P but at least it's in the east side), the passage leading to that two-story building (with another tank behind it) seems to be the only way for players to approach either of those objectives, so putting one respawn trigger there would be a good idea. Actually, after I got wasted by that tank, I found myself respawned in that warehouse with a neutral ADAT! Had to get through the maze again. :wacko:

For the mule C (the one located in the west side), there also should be one respawn point in the entrance tunnel of the big building.

Hi candy,

in the v1 of the map you are spawn near mule A this is the most neutral point from which is the shortest way to all objectives. I can do more spawnpoints but if you will play with players who will run the triggers near adat you will have to run ftom that place.

The triggers can run in a infinity loop to set spawnpoints but those triggers will kill your CPU and makes lag, so if you set spawnplace once and the other player will run another the actually spawnpoint will be set to last run trigger.

new spawnpoints:

near guardtowers at enter,

near warehouse 1,

near warehouse 2,

near mul a,

near the last line of buildings mule b - you have to run the trigger inside line of those buldings,

near adat after destroying the tank,

and finally near mul a after destroying the adat .

The way from mule a isn't a big maze there are simply few ways leading to targets. Of course if you are plaing only few times you can't remember it, but the maze i made purposley, because if you get lost there is a chance to find some more AI and improve your place in scoreboard :whistle:

I'll put the places you menion in the next version.

Cheers,

daro.

My fault. Never considered about such problems in multiplayer since I have merely played lonewolf. :P

When I played the map in my first time, I didn't even activate the mule B trigger because I fought my way around the compond instead of through it... :wall:

BTW, a minor bug was forgotten to be mentioned, which was encountered in my approach to the mule B objective. Having seen that M2HB behind the entrance gap, I tossed a frag grenade at the farther wall (which acted as a border of the map), but my pineapple went through the wall! Had to switch to my mounted GL to blast that M2 gunner away.

I'm not sure whether that is your map's bug though, because I have encountered the bug for several times in other maps, including some of JohnTC02's works. Is it required that a wall must be explicitly set to impenetrable?

(P.S. About the extra AI's, actually I just found my way by shooting straight into crowds of enemies. :o= )

Congratulation Daro, damn good work!

Kaapo_Erika did not believe this is your fist map/mission you ever published.

Even with our slower machines the mission ran smooth the most of the time. Just some times we had between 22-27. Mostly above 35fps.

The AIs was placed very good and the balance using single AI or groups was very good as well, we really enjoined it.

Just 2 things but I think it was told already before.

1. Ground was flickering on both machines

2. Around 50 meters at the extract was no AI. Wish me at least some when we come around the corner heading up to the extraction point.

I downloaded (Sunday afternoon 1600 German time) "coop_daro48_myland_v1.bundle" even when the desription says V3?

Thanks for the fantastic work Daro.

Kaapo (Erika&Klaus)

Dedicated LAN-only server: 1.6Ghz Centrino M 2MB Cache

Client 1: E6750@2920+HD4870/512+4GB - 22" 1400x1050

Client 2: E4400@2670+HD3780/512+4GB - 20" 1280x800

Edited by kaapo

Hi Kappo & Erica!

Thank you for good words, I'm glad you like it :)

Version of which you write is a version 0.3 instead of 3 and the first fixed version published here is the version 1, I'm sorry for little fuss :blink:

Cheers,

Daro.