Voice actors needed

BS PALADIN

I need people to do some audio work for a mod I am doing. Which will basically require recording several lines of text for the game. I need 3 people, each to have american accents. Anyone interested.

Also are there any tutorials on adding 3d audio sounds. I tried adding a wav file but it wont play in the mission. Any suggestions.

You'll need to add new sound effects to the sound database in the effects.xml file. Sound format needs to be PCM, 16-bit little-endian signed integer, 22050 Hz. Ambient sounds for positional audio, declared through the Ambient = "1" statement in effects.xml, need to be 1 channel, non-positional sounds can be 2 channels.

I'd class Puerto Rican as American lol ( sorry if that causes offence )

Would you be interested in doing some voice acting?

Thanks Apex, even though Im not sure what you even mean lol but I'll figure it out. I added the wav file in the sounds folder of my mod and inserted into the effect.xml but not sure I had it in the format you describe. How would I go about converting it to that format?

Edited by BS PALADIN

I'd class Puerto Rican as American lol ( sorry if that causes offence )

Would you be interested in doing some voice acting?

1. Not at all

2. Nah my voice acting is pathetic at best lol

You need voices for briefings or radio talk? ?

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

Having trouble, I converted the files as you said. I've listed them in effects.xml but they still wont work when called from the script.

Can someone tell me if any of these are wrong

The wav file is attached and this is the effects.xml

<SoundVolFile>

<VersionNumber>1.000000</VersionNumber>

<Count>8</Count>

<Entry Filename = "crowd_outside_4.wav" Length = "6.000" Min = "1.500" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "2000" Ambient = "1"/>

<Entry Filename = "w_xm8sd_auto.wav" Length = "0.407" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "100"/>

<Entry Filename = "w_xm8sd_single.wav" Length = "0.295" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "100"/>

<Entry Filename = "w_xm8_auto.wav" Length = "0.851" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "2000"/>

<Entry Filename = "w_xm8_single.wav" Length = "1.157" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "2000"/>

<Entry Filename = "gr6.wav" Length = "7.802" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "2000"/>

<Entry Filename = "gr2.wav" Length = "3.670" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "2000"/>

<Entry Filename = "[GR].wav" Length = "3.298" Min = "1.000" Max = "2000" Rolloff = "2000"/>

</SoundVolFile>

gr1.wav

Have not used that convertor listed above. Downloaded the file and had issues. Created a new mod setup and put it in the sound folder, using Igor to reconsile it, Igor completely locks up on selecting the sound folder. Kaput have to quit with task manager.

Looking at the sound file in Audacity it is set up to the correct formats? <_<

Converted it to some random format, saved as mp3.

Put it back in and changed it back to the original format and saved as a wav file.

Now it works! :blink:

Here it is:

sound_test.zip

No, ambient sounds are there the whole time. What you can do is:

Make a copy of the sound and rename it, add it to the effects list without the ambient tag.

Add an effect to the mission where you want the sound to play. Will name it Effect sound 01.

In the startup block or whenever you want it to start:

Enable group: Sound 01

Set Timer: Timer Sound 01 to 2 seconds. < This is only to initiate it.

Quick check of my new sound file, it is 4.46743 seconds in length.

So now we add a new group:

Group: Sound 01

Trigger: Timer sound 01 expired

Response:

Allow this block to be reactivated

Play sound 3D / Play sound 01 at effect sound 01 / leave rest blank

Set Timer sound 01 to expire in 4.5 seconds / Or whatever you like here, even a random time but always make sure the first time is longer than the sound file

So this will continue to loop just like it was an ambient sound.

Now you can simply disable the group whenever you like, and can also enable it again if so needed.

:thumbsup: