Best FPS game - recommendations please

So I've been out of the FPS circle for a while - looking to buy a Windows system soon for gaming only and I've no idea what FPS games are the best to try out.

I'm aware of the COD titles, who isn't I guess, but after that I'm pretty low on the ground regards any info.

All help fully appreciated in advance!

PS - more looking for a cracking MP game above SP content.

CoD is okay for a little run 'n' gun madness.

Frontlines fuel of war is good if you dont mind artistic license to the max.

obviously you know about GR :P

homefront is glitchy at the moment, wait till patches are released.

MOH is great but linear.

breach is fab but it has flaws :P

R6, nah!

Edited by Zeealex

just like OFP dragon rising, it is just too realistic to enjoy, i think they should keep ultrarealism toned down for games like that, leave the Ultra realism to actual milsims used by the army.

i'm a fun loving gamer who is really picky with historical and terminological accuracy (like hating CoD 7 using MP5s and AUGs in the 60s and CoD MW calling the M82 a barrett .50 cal, okay it is but that is referring to most (perhaps all) barrett sniper rifles i know of)

but there is a line to be drawn in all games and allot of games i have played, even with fictional weaponry have come VERY close to that point. then there are just those games that are cheap, low requirements and fun to play (sniper art of victory) then there are games that are glitchy as hell with ###### graphics that still come very close to that line (stealth force)

Edited by Zeealex

homefront is glitchy at the moment, wait till patches are released.

Don't do Homefront. That is, unless you enjoy being constantly punished by cheating AI who can shoot through your cover as if it was air and remain 100% accurate while firing whole magazine bursts.

Give it a month and Brink will descend. Splash Damage just brought the release date forward by one week l(Ubi could learn something from that) - that's how to release a game!

'Too realistic' LOL. Something is either realistic or it isn't. There is no inbetween and no compromise. Gimme realistic, you can keep your cheating AI and their invisible power armour. :)

Don't do Homefront. That is, unless you enjoy being constantly punished by cheating AI who can shoot through your cover as if it was air and remain 100% accurate while firing whole magazine bursts.

Was this the game you talked about in that tactical fps thread? :huh:

The history is interesting. It would be much more innovative if you were to play as a korean soldier, black ops and such.

There are some interesting features like the drones and all, but it's really a run'n'gun, "don't stop shooting because the enemy wears a near-adamantium invisible armor".

Battlefield BC2

MOH 2010

Dragon Rising with new beta 1.03 patch and TemplarGFX 2011 AI mods (TOTALLY different game and awesome)

Farcry 2 (only because the mapmaker is awesome lol and ALOT of fun)

Minecraft (shutup DONT EVEN DIS my game!!)

Crysis 2

:yes:

"don't stop shooting because the enemy wears a near-adamantium invisible armor".

And don't stop running because cover doesn't work in game (even when prone behind cover with enemies directly ahead shooting in your direction)

The history is interesting. It would be much more innovative if you were to play as a korean soldier, black ops and such.

There are some interesting features like the drones and all, but it's really a run'n'gun, "don't stop shooting because the enemy wears a near-adamantium invisible armor".

wasnt really hyped as much as Wytch said though, in fact i only saw the advert for it on filefront once :P THQ are usually quite good for game making, after all they did make FFOW which is awesome, to me anyway.

i can imagine when they patch it up it should be okay to play again. :P

anyway, back on to the subject of 1st person shooters i missed out a big one

BULLETSTORM!!!!! awesome game :D

Edited by Zeealex

BULLETSTORM!!!!! awesome game :D

Except the issue that the female Polish NPC actually is in fact Canadian, not Polish. Attention to detail for the lose. :)

HF was as hyped as I said on consoles, as it was labeled a must have. That is, must have as in *apparently* so good that everyone should have it.

It will be okay again when they remove the shoot only at the player regardless of the fact that the players teammate AI is is other side of the cover that the enemy is behind thing. Less that 2 foot away from each other, but the friendly AI refuses to shoot, and the enemy AI only focuses on the the player, even though the player is 20 metres away. That was happening every firefight, enemy AI completely ignoring the players teammate AI that was right in front of them, instead, shooting at the player. Bug or no, leave that ###### out of games already.

Edited by WytchDokta

about that, i'm finnish born, yet i speak in a convincing english accent, just because someone is a polish citizen witha polish passport, DOES NOT mean that they have to speak with a polish accent, unless of course they live there full time. my school friend Dyna is german and she has a slight tinge of german in her voice, but she hasnt been in britain as long as i have.

and Alicia Diaz from GR came from texas, yet she only has a slight texas accent.

anyway. nuff said, we'll continue this in the "WTB happened to the..." you know what i mean

Edited by Zeealex

Why not give her [the 'Polish' NPC] an English name and list her country of birth as Canada?

As for good FPS's, everyone seems to be playing (Midlyfe) Crysis 2 at the moment, which is all the more reason for me not to play it. So I wouldn't know how good it is (or isn't)

from what i can make out, Crysis 2 is arright, but you must be like me, if people are hyping over a game, you keep away from it :P

Except if it's a Dead Space or Elder Scrolls series game. :)

There are other FPS's out there; of course, only the popular ones have been mentioned so far by other users, as can be expected. My recommendation is broaden scope, see the what lies beneath. But then again, I'm an iconoclast (driven to iconoclasm by a previous employer continually victimising me due to my medical condition) so it's only natural for me to advise going against the grain :).

Anyway, there was never anything wrong with the FPS 'Citadel' on the legendary Amiga. It was so far ahead of its time tech-wise (unlike most games nowadays), even had bloodstains splattering up walls when you killed some-one on it. Most of all, no cheating AI that had invisible ('near adamantium' - Operative's phrase. A good phrase too) power armour and 'sniper grenades'. :) Those were the days.

EDIT: note to self - lern 2 spel.

Edited by WytchDokta