BF: BC 2 - Vietnam MP expansion pack

Pave Low

Work on the Medal of Honor reboot isn't stopping EA DICE from putting out more downloadable content for its self-made shooter, Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

It also isn't stopping the studio from completely changing the setting its shooter is based in. If all goes to plan, this winter, you'll be fighting in Vietnam.

During EA's E3 2010 press briefing the game's first expansion pack, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam, was announced. A multi-only joint, Vietnam will introduce four new maps to the game as well as an unspecified number of new vehicles, weapons, achievements, trophies, and persistent unlocks.

Expansion Takes The Fight To 'Nam

GET READY FOR A WHOLE NEW WAR

Skimming the treetops in the legendary Huey helicopter, Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" blasts through its loudspeakers. Down in the jungles and rice fields below, the enemy is waiting for a chance to take you down with their T54 tanks and RPG launchers. Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 just made the journey to a new place and time -- back to the 60's and the infamous Vietnam War.

Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 Vietnam is a content-heavy expansion for the game that has sold more than 5 million copies and has been called "a better game than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" by The New York Times.

At the heart of this expansion lie four distinct, brand-new multiplayer maps based on the Vietnam War. Each map brings a new gameplay experience and fresh visuals, with characteristics such as foxholes, tunnels and dense jungles from where the enemy can launch surprise attacks. Also, 15 classic Vietnam-era weapons and 6 vehicles are available from the moment you go online.

All four multiplayer game modes from Battlefield: Bad Company 2, including the genre-defining Conquest Mode, will be playable in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam. The expansion is integrated with the full game persistence, so no matter what theatre of war you participate in, you will continue to level up your soldier as usual.

To set that unmistakable 60's atmosphere, the audio team at DICE has recorded all-new voice-overs for both sides of the conflict, based on authentic dialogue from the Vietnam War. On top of this, a rocking soundtrack with 2 hours worth of time typical tracks gives the expansion a truly characteristic sound.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is all-out multiplayer warfare at its absolute finest. With this new expansion, the battle moves to tropical Vietnam for a new chance to settle the score: Which team has the biggest skills, the smartest tactics, and the tightest squad play?

KEY FEATURES

4 Brand New Maps. From the rice fields of the Phu Bai Valley to the napalm scorched earth of Hill 137, four distinct Vietnam-based maps each bring a fresh visual and gameplay experience.

6 Immortalized Vehicles. Skim the treetops in the iconic American Huey helicopter. Drive the sturdy Russian T54 tank and the nimble US PBR "Pibber" patrol boat, plus three more vehicles immortalized in the Vietnam war.

15 Characteristic Weapons. Charge into battle with 15 new weapons modeled on their real life counter-parts, including the rare Navy SEAL XM22 machinegun and the characteristic M79 "Blooper" Grenade Launcher.

Rocking 60's Soundtrack. Listen to 8 radio channels in-game, featuring 49 time typical tracks, including "Ride of the Valkyries" and "Fortunate Son" by CCR.

True War Dialogue. All-new voiceovers for both American and Vietnamese forces, based on authentic communication from the Vietnam war for maximum immersion.

New Achievements/Trophies. Collect 10 new achievements/trophies, one for blowing up Vietnamese propaganda speakers. Earn new weapon proficiency stars specific to your skills with the weapons in the expansion.

I'm still having a lot of fun with this game.. New maps, weapons, etc will be a welcome addition. There's also a big co-op DLC pack coming out this Monday Tuesday.

Edited by MeanMF

• 3 months later...

Its just a CGI trailer. No gameplay.

I never got BC2, didn't like the 12 bullet to kill someone gameplay.

Let's not forget in BC1, this whole thing that devs do these days to try and make their games more challenging, but instead they break the gameplay.... Tagging the player as a higher kill priority than the dumbass AI teammates. I'll give you an example, Mass Effect 2 also has this (although it doesn't seem to happen all the time since the last patch) - So I'm behind cover, I've got 5 enemies ahead all firing at me and their bullets are bouncing off my cover, they can't possibly hit me. Yet, to my right Grunt is in the open charging at one of the enemies. To my left, Samara standing up from her cover to fire at the enemies. BOTH AI team mates are exposed. I am in cover. The enemy AI chooses not to shoot at the exposed team mate AI. I go to move to new cover while my AI team mates shoot back at the enemies. My teamamates are STILL exposed, in the open. As I run to the new cover, I'm the one getting shot at, not my more exposed teammates.

Also, consider the fact that Grunt is a Krogan, he therefore has an insane amount of hitpoints, has the Fortification ability which can boost his shields up to +75% and he can regenerate - so, shouldn't he be the higher kill pritority?

I shelved BC1 because of this, but in ME2 I can stick it because with an Engineer, I can spam spawn drones, which are seemingly set as a higher kill priority than the player (just spawn it near the enemy squad leader to keep him tied up. Once destroyed, spawn a new drone behhind him, and so on. Gives them the run around and gets enemies out of cover leaving them very exposed); also as a Soldier with the class exclusive ability set to Shocktrooper, along with a fully upgraded Adrenealine Rush ability and the Revenant machine gun, I can easily circumvent this 'player tagged as higher kill priority' issue.

Seriously, nerf this 'player tagged as higher kill priority than AI teamamates' crap. It's not even funny.

Edited by WytchDokta

This will be a good one to played this winter :) as long as they keep the spot system on....BTW I don't like hardcore because it's the home of hackers it is very hard to see the enemy but it has always a cheater that see you and broke your fun....and if you don't have a good pc then don't play this game cause you'll be unable to killed someone...don't check the min required but the recomended spec Interface :

Windows Vista ou Windows 7

Processeur : Intel Core 2 Quad ou supérieure

Mémoire : 2Go...I will say 4Go

Graphismes : 512 Mo Carte vidéo (GeForce GTX 260/ ATI Radeon 4870) mmmm...1go min will be more appropiate

Support contrôleur : Support pour Logitech G15 et G19 clavier LCDs en multijoueur

• 4 weeks later...
In this third trailer for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam, we get intense action on Phu Bai Valley, one of the maps in this upcoming expansion.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZ76A0QWvk?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZ76A0QWvk?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZ76A0QWvk?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Multiplayer Expansion pack = $14.99 (1200 MS Points on console)

• 3 weeks later...

another trailer video

Heavy flame-thrower action on map Hill 137 from our upcoming expansion pack Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgMip96ugvI?fs=1&hl=en_GB&hd=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgMip96ugvI?fs=1&hl=en_GB&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgMip96ugvI?fs=1&hl=en_GB&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

For the first time ever in a major Battlefield game, may we present to you: the flame-thrower.

Flame1.png

Enemy repellent.

This time-typical weapon used in the Vietnam War [and in our 2004 World War II mod for Battlefield Vietnam -- Editor's note] actually changes the way you play the game. Say you are hiding in the tunnel leading to M-COM station B on Hill 137. One way to keep the attackers out is by firing your flame-thrower out of the tunnel in a preventive manner. Any enemy going near will catch on fire and get other things to worry about than arming your M-COM ...

... Which neatly segues into how the flame-thrower affects enemies. Apart from taking taking damage directly by the fire, anyone caught in the blast starts burning health at a steady pace. There are however a number of ways to stop this gradual death from happening. One is using a medkit that you or a friendly medic has administered. Another way is running to the nearest source of water, which also will stop the fire.

Flame2.png

I can has tank flame now?

As our playtests rage on here at the DICE office, it's clear how much the flame-thrower gives to this expansion in terms of style and sheer aggressiveness. Check out the trailer above for more fire-based action, and remember to come back next Friday for even more info and screens from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam.

• 1 month later...

Vietnam Launch Trailer

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_v6RdAWXkw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_v6RdAWXkw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_v6RdAWXkw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Multiplayer Expansion pack = $14.99 (1200 MS Points on console)

That better be A LOT of content then. Oh Wait, it's EA.

800 MS points gets you a full expansion pack with heaps of content for games such as Borderlands and Fallout 3. Yet, on games such as GoW series or CoD series, 800 MS points will get you what, a DLC containing no more than 4 multiplayer maps and nothing else.

Edited by WytchDokta