Gorilla Quarry Forest

Hello all :)

This time I expected so much.

The map and mission are finally completed and returned in the testing phase.

At first, I want to sincerely thank:

- Ghostrecon.net: without whom I never had the opportunity to meet people charming, patient and respectful of newbies like me)

- Graw2 wiki: Who is a great source of knowledge

- John TC02 and Bogie: Who have been more patient and available to give me help when I needed

- All Beta tester: Who are willing to take the time to analyze the mission

- mexicobob: For his help during the testing phase of development

- All people from GR:AW2 community: This game will not be there where it is without them

A big thank you for you :thumbsup:

So.... the mission:

Map based on Quarry...

Scenario:

The troops of Colonel Santiago (fiction) are entrenched in an old disused quarry in order to reorganize itself after the failure of their last battle.

It is imperative to prevent the return of forces, in which case we may see our strategy of compromise final assault.

Your mission, should you accept it consists of 6 objectives:

1 / Secure and open the tunnel destroying the HEMTT that blocks the passage to allied troops

2 / Destroy the Mule 1 overlooking the forest

3 / Destroy the Mule 2 on the main axis

4 / Destroy the Adat to secure airspace

5 / Destroy the last Tank Squadron

6 / Join the extraction point

- Mission night so think you equip night vision

- This mission has 4 respawn checkpoint to pass mandatory!

- 3 enemy gunships prowling around, I suggest you find Zeus remaining on the ground

Download: here

For Beta tester who do not have the password, please PM me :)

Enjoy

Gorilla

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Gorilla,

I have to say that all of us at A Gaming Brotherhood [AGB] were VERY impressed with your first mission :thumbsup: Gorilla Quarry Forest was very tactical and held our interest extremly well. We do have a few suggestions that we personally feel would add to the enjoyment of the mission as well as potentially fixing a few minor issues.

- The initial spawn point to the "Checkpoint #1" is a little far in distance to be running when you die. Perhaps having a new spawn point around the tunnel once you complete that first objective.

- Frame rate was exceptionally well with very little lag in most areas. I was peaking at around 100 fps and my lowest was around 13 fps. The reason we typically saw lag was due to areas with excessive heat, dust and smoke effects that were spread all over the ground. These typically work well with Team vs Team maps, but with the added resources that missions have, these can case some serious delays with players. My suggestion is to either spread these out a little more or delete a few in higher concentrated areas where you have these effects to reduce the lag. Most of the AGB folks did average around 40-45 fps which is great!

- Add exploding frogs... who doesn't love a good exploding frog :D Actually, there were a few areas where perhaps you could add some land mines to keep the players a little more paraniod. However, this is your first mission and I see you haven't added any external objects yet, so it is not a big deal if these are not added

- The prop "m2hb_bunker" has some problems with dedicated servers. These are not an issue if you have them where only the AI can shoot these mounted 50 cals, but if players use them, it may cause the dedicated servers to have a hard crash. As a cautionary measure, you may want to replace the "m2hb_bunker" props with just the "m2hb_tripod" props where players can access these.

- Noticed that quite a few of your AI Patrols spawn in facing against walls, cliffs, etc. To change the direction that the Patrols are facing in the GRAW2 Editor, just highlight the patrol and move the left or right arrow keys until the "Green" X axis line is pointing where you want your patrols to face.

- Noticed that some of your AI models have the extra Ageia PhysX properties. These are not necessary for missions and will use additional resources for your system. You will note these by your AIs haveing an "ag_" in front of their unit. If you look in the <human> section of the world.xml, you will see that some say "ag_mex_special_forces_heavy4" when they should be "mex_special_forces_heavy4". The best way to fix this is to do a search and replace in your XML editor in the world.xml. Search "ag_ and replace with just " Note that I search and replace with the added quotation mark or you will end up replaceing all of your sandbag_static props.

- We may have gone out of order, but the Abrams tank was shooting at us, so we assaulted it prior to the objective to blow it up. I was actually able to get right up against it and was unable to plant C4. Perhaps adding the code to C4 the tank when you spawn the tank in. We've also discovered an issue that if you do not add the C4 attachable code at the time that the tank (or other vehicle) is activated, that some players that join are unable to plant C4 and some are.

- Add some exploding geese... Always enjoy a Goose exploding just about as much as frogs.

- Noticed that a few of your trees were floating in midair. You can always lower a prop by selecting that prop, using your [CTRL] key and the down arrow. One of these was at ground level just before the incline to the Abrams tank. Viper has a screen shot of the other tree that he found and will be posting this when he gets a chance.

- Load screen and minimap were great. Thanks for the notable mention :thumbsup:

I believe that Viper is going to add some additional information and/or anything else that I missed. We had 6 players and it took us about 85 minutes to complete with the standard vanilla weapons. For us, this was a perfect time.

Again, I cannot say how much we enjoyed beta testing your first mission and enjoyed the flow... Seems to us that you are already a pro at mission modding :clapping:

Keep up the exceptional work!!

Bogie

Hello Rahnams and Bogie

At first, many thanks for testing, much appreciate.

@ Rahnmans: Password is sent

So:

I have to say that all of us at A Gaming Brotherhood [AGB] were VERY impressed with your first mission :thumbsup: Gorilla Quarry Forest was very tactical and held our interest extremly well.

you say a big thank you from me at all [AGB]..... I was not expecting much "glory"

- The initial spawn point to the "Checkpoint #1" is a little far in distance to be running when you die. Perhaps having a new spawn point around the tunnel once you complete that first objective.
Yes, you're right, mexicobob say me the same about this.

About checkpoint, we see respawn bugs on roof top (check point 1, 3 and 4)

I would correct.

The reason we typically saw lag was due to areas with excessive heat, dust and smoke effects that were spread all over the ground.
In fact, I noticed the slight lag in the design (besides, you've responded to this topic).

Mut I thought it could come from the number of AI or grass

I would correct.

- Add exploding frogs... who doesn't love a good exploding frog :D Actually, there were a few areas where perhaps you could add some land mines to keep the players a little more paraniod. However, this is your first mission and I see you haven't added any external objects yet, so it is not a big deal if these are not added

At this time, i don't know how to import some object, the same for mines but i can learn about this on Wiki ;)

- The prop "m2hb_bunker" has some problems with dedicated servers.
You're right, mexicobob crashed cause this mg yesterday night

I would correct.

- Noticed that quite a few of your AI Patrols spawn in facing against walls, cliffs, etc.
Probably some oversight on my part, i would correct.

- Noticed that some of your AI models have the extra Ageia PhysX properties.
Fixed this morning :P

- We may have gone out of order, but the Abrams tank was shooting at us, so we assaulted it prior to the objective to blow it up. I was actually able to get right up against it and was unable to plant C4. Perhaps adding the code to C4 the tank when you spawn the tank in. We've also discovered an issue that if you do not add the C4 attachable code at the time that the tank (or other vehicle) is activated, that some players that join are unable to plant C4 and some are.
Since the tank is capable of firing, I thought it would be interesting to destroy it with Zeus.

And i don't know the c4 code

- Add some exploding geese..
I'm sorry but i don't understand "geese" :(

- Noticed that a few of your trees were floating in midair
yes, you're right, we saw the same yesterday night

I would correct

Load screen and minimap were great. Thanks for the notable mention
:unsure: Minimaps is original version.......

And no... it's it's I who thank you for all the praise and suggest :thumbsup:

I'm going to get back to work to fix these bugs

Thanks a lot Bogie friend ;)

Gorilla

Hello Tinker :)

And i don't know the c4 code

<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="tank_02" start_time="1"/>

<element type="MakeAttachable" attach="true" vehicle_id="tank_02" start_time="3"/>

I actually put this code:

<element type="MakeAttachable" attach="true" detonate_event="e_des_tank01" vehicle_id="tank01" start_time="2"/>
<element type="StartTrigger" name="t_destroyed_tank01" start_time="2"/>
<element type="Objective" id="obj5" state="add" headline_id="Destroy the tank before extraction !!!" waypoint_id="Tank 1" waypoint="-7717.5591 11852.397 917.92224"/>[/code]

It's not the same?

We can explode geese?

I thought it was just fors christmas :P

<element type="MakeAttachable" attach="true" detonate_event="e_des_tank01" vehicle_id="tank01" start_time="2"/>

<element type="StartTrigger" name="t_destroyed_tank01" start_time="2"/>[/code]

detonate_event="e_des_tank01"

This should automatically call a new event when the tank is destroyed.

So you would not need this:

<element type="StartTrigger" name="t_destroyed_tank01" start_time="2"/>

Sure someone can clarify this, otherwise I`ll have to dig out some old files to check. I never used the detonate event code, always had a trigger checking for vehicle destroyed.

Hi Gorilla,

Your code for attaching the c4 to the tank should work fine but just make sure you have the vehicle_id= named correctly.

I normally use a trigger to check if any vehicle is destroyed, you can use the detonate_event= to call the next event but in some cases (the hemtt in particular) one c4 will not always destroy the vehicle so it's best to do this by using a trigger to check when the vehicle is destroyed. So in some cases the detonate_event= is not needed but I always use it in case I need it.

Also, make sure your vehicle is activated before you call the "MakeAttachable" element by using the start_time= I normally give it a couple of seconds after you have activated the vehicle. If you make a vehicle attachable before it's activated then you will not be able to plant c4 on it.

You also need to make sure your detonate_event= name is different to your <event name = for that particular trigger or you will get unexpected results as you did before with the Hemtt.

Hope this makes sense,

John

Hi John :)

I did exactly the same thing for the HEMTT in connection with this discussion that we had Here

When I tested the C4 installation worked perfectly.

But in real game, i can't approach the tank without killing myself when I use the Zeus :whistle:

The alternative may be that I do not understand what that meant Bogie :unsure:

Thanks

Gorilla

I guess is what I am trying to say is to have the Abrams Tank objective with C4 available to blow up the tank when the Mule and ADAT objectives are available. When we stormed the tank (before we targeted the ADAT), one person was able to draw fire while I, very bravely so, stormed the tank in a valliant attempt to use my C4 on an ememy abrams. To my despair, the C4 that I was carrying was not compatible and I could not attach - being stuck next to a tank, my buddies then spawned in with an RPG.

A "Goose" is a very moody bird that if it doesn't get it's way, it has a habbit of going off on others or "exploding". So we made a few models including an exploding goose that you can use as an IED. But I agree, you really do not need these for this map.

Take Care,

Bogie

Gorilla

Congrats on your first mission. Played SP with standard weapons, no problems. Didn't quite complete due to lack of time but I really enjoyed it. Most of the items I noticed have already been pointed out by others like floating trees etc. Saw no AI facing walls in fact they seemed very alert and hostile, just the way they should be. Successfully took out the tank using the Zeus and I was glad to see several Zeus lying around which proved very handy when the Havocs showed up.

Frame rate was a high of 120 and low of 33, and this happened at Trigger 3b with the spawning of more AI. But the game played OK.

All in all a great effort for your first time. Really well done.

Anthony :rocky:

@ Bogie:

Ahh... it's ok now, i'm understand perfectly.

You're right at this point.... I had not thought about this scenario.

I'll see what I can do to change all that.

@ Anthony:

I'm glad that you enjoyed :)

Thanks for testing and report

Regards

Gorilla

Gorilla,

Following up on Bogie's report please see the screen shots below of our findings on the AGB server last night:

- Tango facing the building here. I was taking a screen shot right about the same time one of our team mates took him out. Hopefully you can find him.

Gorilla_A.jpg

- Another Tango looking the wrong way. Hell maybe he's a mechanic working on the truck!!
:hmm:

Gorilla_B.jpg

- Last but not least a Levitating tree!! Houdini, try this why don't you. Ha!!!!
:P

Gorilla_C.jpg

Other than that and what Bogie mentioned, congrats on your fist map!! It was awesome!!!

:thumbsup:

Tinker: I loved the picture of the flying geese!!! Priceless!!!

Gorilla,

I got stuck here. I walked up the wooden ramp that you put just after the entry into the quarry and then walked across the rocks in order to snipe the AI below. I stepped off of the rocks and got stuck in this spot. You may want to place a mover on the rocks behind my position to keep players out.

134bac577aa1ba05f3b587ea6f5bb9955g.jpg

Rahn

Hi Viper and Rahnmans :)

At first, thanks for testing, report and taken screen :thumbsup:

@ Viper:

1/ I'll try to correct the AI path

2/ Second screen: Mechanic working.... why not? :lol:

3/ Trees are already fixed for next beta release

@ Rahnmans:

1/ ok, i'll correct this

Thanks for you two ;)

Gorilla

Gorilla,

I have the daytime version ready for you to add more vehicles to. I did not realize how many AI were in the mission until I could see them in the daylight. Looks like a swarm of ants! w00t

Good mission

Mexico Bob

Hello all :)

New beta version is release

Changelog:

1/ Removing smoke effects to minimize the lag

2/ Fixed respawn

3/ Creating a respawn after destruction of the Hemtt (Objective 1 tunnel)

4/ Machine gun fixed

5/ Trees fixed

6/ Adding some mover on the hill near the Objective 2 (mule 1)

7/ Addition of 30 land mines on the entire map

8/ Removing checkpoint 3 (near Adat) and 4 (near tank)

9/ Fixed problem about C4 tank

Tank objective added on checkpoint 2

10/ Addition one objective before "extraction": Create a hole for extract

11/ Fixed AI path (i hope)

Download: Gorilla Quarry Forest v1.1

A big thanks for all people for testing and report

Cheers

Gorilla

Gorilla,

I got some time to test the new version this morning. Here are some things that I found:

1) Before the weapons selection screen comes up it is prefaced by another screen which says, "dav_mine_quarry_forest" and gives options to "resume" or "restart". I have never seen this screen before in any coop mission that I have played. If you click on "resume" it will allow you to start the mission so it didn't prevent me from testing.

2) I tested the mission by myself. As soon as the game started I was told that I was the "Team Leader". I have only seen this type of message when playing a "campaign" in coop mode. In this type of mode you can have up to 4 players play together using the "campaign" missions that either came with the game or that others like Bogie and John have made for campaign play. Somehow your mission got turned into a "campaign" instead of a true "coop".

3) When testing a mission I will usually not destroy the heli's so I can see what they do. Both heli's appeared to work just fine except that when their patrol was done they just disappeared abruptly. Usually they will fly off the edge of the map.

4) There was less lag than I experienced on the first version. My frame rate improved to about 15-25, so removing some of the props has really helped. Still, I will usually get frame rates in the 40's when running one of John or Bogie's missions, so there may be some other props which are still causing some lag. I know that the lag is not caused by spawning AI or by the heli's because my frame rate remained pretty constant the entire time. And after I was killed and waiting to respawn, my yellow timer bar (which counts down the seconds until respawn) was jerky. I have seen this a lot in Annibale19's missions and have been told it is because some of the props he uses are memory intensive.

5) I didn't really pay attention when I was testing, but now that I think about it I didn't set off or see any landmines. Maybe I was just lucky enough not to come across one, but that works fine for me. I don't like them anyway. Nevertheless, you may want to check your code and make sure it is correct. Maybe another tester can double check on this.

6) I did check on the mover that you placed in the spot I had mentioned in a previous post. I worked well.

I hope this helps. Don't get frustrated. Apparently there is a pretty big learning curve to doing these missions. Just ask John about his "combat dawn" mission. :D

Later,

Rahn

Hi rahnman,

Thanks for test and report.

So, for first and second report:

It's very strange, i don't know what to say :(

Yet I have changed nothing vital in the script. I upload this mission on our server and everything worked perfectly, no such message only appears.

I do not know how to fix this problem.

Third report:

Humm.. perhaps my coordonate of the move order is no good...I must go check

Fourth report:

I do not see too what props I could remove, can be apart from the grass :unsure:

Fifth:

All the mines operate, but it is clear that 30 mines on this mission is not much, I believe that luck is not no big thing :P

But..., I knew it would be hard, but to point out a new version apparently worse than the first .. there I am just gunned down :(

Regards

Gorilla

Hi Gorilla,

1) Before the weapons selection screen comes up it is prefaced by another screen which says, "dav_mine_quarry_forest" and gives options to "resume" or "restart". I have never seen this screen before in any coop mission that I have played. If you click on "resume" it will allow you to start the mission so it didn't prevent me from testing.

This error screen normally indicates that there is an error with naming the prop or a path name within the prop.

Check all the code for the dav_mines, as you have released a new version it might just be that you have not updated the version number in one of the lines of code, this is why Rahnman didn't see any mines is the mission due to the error he got the dav_mines will not load.

I tested the mission by myself. As soon as the game started I was told that I was the "Team Leader". I have only seen this type of message when playing a "campaign" in coop mode.

Strange one this, the only thing that can cause this is if you have changed the world_info.xml, check this file and make sure there are no "campaign" settings in there, the best way is to compare one of my world_info files to the one you are using in your latest version.

I hope this helps. Don't get frustrated. Apparently there is a pretty big learning curve to doing these missions. Just ask John about his "combat dawn" mission.

The Combat Dawn mission Rahn is referring to was plagued with lag problems, it took several new beta versions plus help from Bogie and a lot of patience from the beta testers before we got anything that was even near playable.

The mission I am making now has also been giving me problems, I have remodeled the map three times to sort out lag and lightmap problems, as Rahn said don't get frustrated, making missions involves a steep learning curve but once you reach the top the rewards are worthwhile.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to test your map Gorilla, I have been bogged down with many problems getting my latest mission ready for testing.

Take care,

John

Hello John and Zero

Thanks for your reply and help.

So:

This error screen normally indicates that there is an error with naming the prop or a path name within the prop.

Check all the code for the dav_mines, as you have released a new version it might just be that you have not updated the version number in one of the lines of code, this is why Rahnman didn't see any mines is the mission due to the error he got the dav_mines will not load.

Ok... there's an error at this step:

All name and path just use:

quarry_forest_v1_1
exemple:
dav_mine_quarry_forest_v1_1
So it should be:
dav_mine_coop_gorilla_quarry_forest_v1_1

It's like this?

Why, then everything works fine with me?

Strange one this, the only thing that can cause this is if you have changed the world_info.xml, check this file and make sure there are no "campaign" settings in there, the best way is to compare one of my world_info files to the one you are using in your latest version.

There's no "campaign" setting on world_info.

I know it takes patience, but what surprises me most since I have not made major changes since the first version that worked "well".

Especially as it works well for me too (in local network and on our dedicated server)

Sorry I haven't had a chance to test your map Gorilla, I have been bogged down with many problems getting my latest mission ready for testing.

Don't worry for that, i know you lot of work :)

@ Zero: yes i can change trees but the effect will be really over the same :(

Thanks

Gorilla