P2: Notes - Tips -warnings, suggests and complaints

migryder

TWO moving radars sounds like cobaka's 2s6 Tunguska..does it have a set of guns and open fire on ya? If so its more of that old BETA version vs the more rectent v1.00 or 1.20 Rocky..those Tunguskas require AT also all ADA units require AT..from post #1 this thread...

The BMPs are treated as heavy armor in game, the TOR, Tunguska, all MTBs, and the RSE SAM are heavy armor requiring an AT round...

I will put together a post with pics of all vcls and their names /acronyms used in briefings etc... :yes:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a tank and your AT weaponry should take it out no problem.

Thanks, I am hitting it with lots of AT but no indication that it is destroyed, ie no doors blowing open, radar dishes still moving, and engine sound still going...?

I will put together a post with pics of all vcls and their names /acronyms used in briefings etc... :yes:

I already started, use these pics if you like....

TOR

Destroy with Panzeraust

tor.jpg

Chameleon-Flyaway

Recover

chameleon-flyaway.jpg

LASV

Do not destroy, secure area.

LASV.jpg

TOPOL

Do not destroy, secure area.

topol.jpg

Vodnik

Destroy with 1 AT , m109 25mm frags, GLs, rockets of any kind

vodnik.jpg

SAM SA-2 Launcher

Destroy with 1 demo charge, set at approx 8 secs.

sa2launcher.jpg

BDRM2

Destroy with 1 AT, frags, HEDP rounds, GLs, .50 cal rifles or greater

armed.jpg

Radar Dish

Destroy with 2 x Demo Charges

radar.jpg

SDAM

Locate two of these

SADM.jpg

Data Logger

Locate one of these

datalogger.jpg

TWO moving radars sounds like cobaka's 2s6 Tunguska..does it have a set of guns and open fire on ya?

The wire radar dish and solid square one both move, but the vehicle is static and unarmed. V1.20

Rocky, what AT are you using?

I think that some demo launchers are only meant for light armour.

Something like the HEAT rounds should take out the Tor first time out.

The Tor has full destruction animation (the dish visibly is damaged & panels pop open)

The smoke & fire effects are timed to cut down on lag & FPS Issues.

As to the rotating dishes, I will say this:

We found an issues with rotating vehicle body parts restarting after loading a saved game (even if the vehicle is destroyed). This has been fixed for the Tor (but the Tungaska is an older model and the original max files are not available to carry out a similar fix), it may be you're firing at a dead vehicle.

I'll go have a look Rocky..the square one should not be searching...weird that...SMAW HEDP, M202 FLASH, RPG7 TBG will not kill armor...you may be getting by w/o the rocket check recognizing you don't have enough AT then, so Iill look into that as well..

the pics are good..I'll fill in the blanks from there then... :yes: Just took and resized a bunch of em..gotta upload and then link n post...

mig :ph34r:

Oh, I must be using the wrong type of AT then - did not realise there was a distinction to be made there.

Damn, I hope I don't have to start again - I probably do not have enough of the correct AT for those vehicles.. :wall:

The square one follows the location of the player - it tracks my moves.

aaahh yes the turret will follow you...ok then that explains that..sorry bout the mix up..let me know exactly which rockets you were firing then and I'll test to make sure the engine recognizes that they are not AT...so if you don't have enough at start you'll be stopped from proceeding..

I have included the rocket differences in this thread, but I'll also list what each vcl requires for destruction in the pics I will post...

bumped

Rocky has reminded me today that you can kill the three SAMs(SA-2 Guideline) and the radar on the roof of the control building with a demo charge...if you choose to use other ordinance it will take about two of whatever...even AT rockets, yet even a couple of frags should suffice. Boys n Girls there a few missions like p205, p210, p217, p219, where a good ole .50 or greater caliber rifle will save your soul....today I killed a Vodnik with one round from the (x?)m109 25mm...

and here is a tip..on at least two missions you'll find AGLs that can be of great help..I think you'll recognize it when you see it..

VEHICLES

Light Armor and Trucks

these can be detroyed via frags, GLs, rockets of any kind(HEDP,THERMOBARIC/HEAT,HEAA and so on...), anti-material rifles(.50 cal, 14.5 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm and even the .408 Chetytac round), and if it came to it you could even shoot out the tires with any caliber..this is very tough for a BDRM2 or BTR90, but easier for a Vodnik. There is a weapon in the mod that can knock these out ut I'm not gonna state which it is...use your imagination as you go through the kits..DON'T WASTE YOUR AT ROCKETS ON THESE UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT YOU CAN MEET THE HEAVY ARMOR OBJECTIVES

BTR90 APC

BTR90.jpg

BDRM2 APC

bdrm2.jpg

VODNIK ARMORED CAR (GAZ 3937) Russian video

Very dangerous, used by special units...where you see these, you see them...plus, the vehicle may open fire even though it is occupied and following a plan...

Vodnik.jpg

LASV(Launch Associated Support Vehicle) aka MAZ 543 in the mod, that is the chassis..not usually seen w/o SS-25 TOPOL nearby, but you may see it in support of other weapons systems in the mod..you are normally expected to secure these vehicles for intel purposes...

LASV.jpg

TOPOL, SS-25 Sickle Mobile ICBM Range = 10,000 Km The Big Boy Weapons; you are asked to secure these

video -

topol.jpg

SMERCH Multiple Launch Rocket System(MLRS), aka 9K58;there are two versions of static SMERCH in the mod..one is tagged as a truck the other is tagged as a tank and requires AT. Look for GAMEPLAY NOTE at the top of the briefing of p221...COOP dedi play requires the tank version as the trucks twirl like mad ferris wheels for some clients...

video with music from PAINKILLER!

SMERCH2-1.jpg

more to follow...

migryder,

Last night was my first foray into your spectacular mod. It's hard for me to say this, because it's hard for me to even believe, but as "late in the game" as Ghost Recon is, it looks like we're just now entering its Golden Age of modding, thanks to the astounding community efforts from contributors such as yourself. THANK YOU for all of your hours of hard work on our behalf. People who haven't yet tried the most recent spate of GR mods don't know what they're missing.

I'm playing the campaign in Elite mode, which must mean, after playing the first mission, that I'm a glutton for punishment! :D

Brutally hard is not the word for it. It took me seventeen saves and two hours to get out of the house alone with all of my team intact! Wow!

What I Deeply Appreciated (more please!)

1. Round penetration. I'm assuming that the large tracer rounds were mostly from the tanks, and they just kept continuously hosing us down. It added a whole new level of realistic tension and sheer terror to the game. Those of you who keep track of my personal tastes might recall what a huge fan I am of the Infiltration total conversion for Unreal Tournament, and that was the very first game that I ever played that had deeply real round penetration and ballistics in it. In a sense, the features in that game "ruined" first person shooters for me, and my chief complaint about GR has been its extremely limited modeling of ballistics, but you've changed that.

Now, is there anyway to carry the penetration capabilities more fully, for all of the small arms? I can't imagine the coding involved, as every material would need a ballistics rating that's modified by its thickness, something that the Infiltration team smartly assigned to their textures right from the get go. Any chance of carrying out something similar?

Rounds & penetration

m1.jpg

2. Great plot. Seriously and depressingly believable. I could tell right from the start of the briefing that the buildup is going to be tight and engrossing, because the mission objectives nicely fit the overall thrust of the story arc. I can't wait to start Mission 2...

3. The kits that are available are plausible even though quite a few of them still feel as being something we'll see in real life 3-5 years down the road. Nice job on balancing this out. I feel that too often the GR titles carry out the "high tech future weapons" in a manner that's more than likely not going to happen than happen. You've avoided this assessment from me with your kits, and I'm happy for that.

4. Great skinning and modeling!

5. I'm happy to see that a highly illustrated supporting document is coming out with the next upgrade. That'll be a very useful tool.

Suggestions

1. While the opening house battle was deeply engrossing (hey, I toughed it out for two HOURS), it was deeply frustrating as well, and I'm confident that it would still be frustrating even if it wasn't set to the Elite level of difficulty. Three quarters of my way through the house battle it crept up on me the plausibility of the encounter unfolding as it does in the game. I've played a lot of Combat Mission Shock Force, which is a deep strategy simulator of MOUT warfare, and, especially after watching some real life recordings from Fallujah on Youtube, I'm pretty confident how the Red forces would've approached dealing with the Blue forces in the house.

They would've blown apart the building with their tanks.

Now, I don't want to "bring down" this mission in any way, as it's apparent that a TON of time was put into it, but, if you'll bear with me, I think that there's a way to really pull off the terribleness of the situation while keeping its believability high.

If I was a Ghost, and I saw/had reported to me that four pieces of main battle armor was rolling towards my twig of an abode with hordes of infantry leading the advance, I sure wouldn't stay up on the second story, especially if there's no plausible way to take out all of the armor from the windows, most of which are closed shut with shutters. Opening the shutters would be a clear flag of "here we are!", and I wouldn't stay on the main floor either. Unless, of course, I could fit all of my men inside a unlit fireplace with REALLY thick brick/stone work. :)

If the game engine can implement it, I might be tempted to very quickly take out a few of the infantry from whatever windows are already available, as the glare on them would disguise our location from those looking in from the outside. But this would be a very fast action before I made a beeline down the stairwell.

That said, I'd be just as tempted not to fire a single round off, because it could draw enough attention to our location for the tank commanders to be informed of where we're at, and then all we are is kindling.

I'd head for the basement.

First, even if the above scenario is doable, the enemy will have some difficulty initially assessing where we are (they'd have to find exit holes from our rounds passing through the glass), and they certainly wouldn't know who we are. They'd start assaulting buildings, and if I was surrounded by hordes of infantry outside, with tanks in support, then my chief concern is to make sure that the tanks wouldn't fire on our location. Having Red infantry crashing into buildings would ensure that.

The basement is the most hardened portion of a house. I'd wait for as long as possible to have the area saturated with infantry, again, to keep the MBTs from firing. I'd have my team camp down there and then, after enough of a buildup, let loose on any pair of boots that appeared outside the windows and/or came down the stairwell. Now, the fancier the abode, perhaps the bigger the basement windows would be. Perhaps these could even be large enough to get rocket shots off at a tank, and a plausible reaction from the other tanks (if they're close, and more importantly, confused enough), is to pop smoke and pull back from where they think the zone of "rocket danger" is. The life of the smoke clouds would actually buy the Ghosts time to mop up the infantry, and get into a new and sounder position to take out the MBTs. They could then take a shot from one structure and scoot over to another till all are gone.

If coding the above scenario would be too daunting, I'd work up and down from the basement for as long as possible, and once the infantry was thinned enough then I'd take potshots with the SMAW/Javelin at any nearby armor. As soon as I could, I'd make like a dagger for the next building to wash/rinse/repeat these tactics till the armor/infantry was thinned out enough that it would be sounder to start working outside of the local structures.

Now, as impossible as my strategy might seem, it still seems more plausible than mostly staying on the second story of a building, miraculously blasting out half of the tank platoon that won't defensively pop smoke/zigzag out of The Danger Zone, and then not having the Red forces give the order to stop trying to assault our location, and just have one of the two remaining MBTs parked right outside the only open door simply blow us off of the map with its cannon. I feel that my tactical approach becomes all the more believable if the tank commanders are coded so that they can become confused, and smartly pop smoke to cover their zigzagging repositioning to what they think is a more advantageous position. Like tracer rounds, smoke works both ways. Let the Ghosts have a chance to exploit this. In my mind, it'd be totally convincing.

Unfortunately, as beefed up as the AI has become, it's still pretty lousy in regards to fighting from the inside towards the outside of a building. They get way too close to the openings, and instead of taking a pot shot or two, and then ducking/dropping to the side, they stay stationary, and they then get toasted. The losses, or course, are amplified with the incoming and penetrating rounds. But, whatever you do, DON'T remove the penetrating rounds.

As Mission 1 now starts, the player's forced to start on the second story, but why not start them from a basement? In the opening film, we could see the shocking opening assault, cut the camera into the second story of where the Ghosts are at. The camera snakes to look over the shoulder of one Ghost who sees a tank charging in from one side of the house, the camera rotates so that we're peering over the helmet of another Ghost who is looking out a window on a different side of the house, where we see a couple of more tanks charging in. Of course leading the way for the tanks are the Red force's infantry, and the point of this scene is to establish how "hopeless" the Ghosts' tactical situation is from the second floor. The camera could pivot again, as we see the first two or three Ghosts start racing down the stairwell towards the ground floor. The scene could fade to black as we witness a Ghost start entering into the basement. When we next see light, our avatar is at the foot of the basement stairwell looking up, with the rest of the Ghost team surrounding him. Within 5-10 seconds of the mission's start, we'd hear the main floor door(s) getting kicked in (imagine the jump in the player's heart rate upon hearing that sound; oftentimes, things are scarier when not seen), with the Red forces shouting towards one another. The AIs starting orders would be to recon, and with the order to hold one's fire. The player would pick it up from there...

Is this approach appealing to anybody else?

2. The AIs capabilities to assault a building are also limited. All too often, if they're to the side of a door frame, they walk forward till they're centered in the doorway, and then they rotate to enter. That means that they're a sitting duck while sideways and while they pivot. Any chance of having them try to enter the structure by having two lines assault simultaneously? One that's close to the building, and another 4-5 meters back? The second line would cover the first line's entrance. As the mission is now written, sometimes they already do this, but it'd be nice to see it occur more frequently.

3. Broaden weapon kits to include more Red force's small arms. As I stated in another thread, I'm continually surprised by the real life photos of SOF on a mission. It's not all that uncommon to see them carrying an AK or an AK derivative, and they're modified to use Western scopes/adjustable stocks.

4. Remove tracer rounds from the Ghosts' small arms. If the only way to do this is by removing tracers entirely (from the Red forces as well), then so be it. It's far more believable to have firefights without tracers than with.

Again, thanks for all of the hard work. I'm really looking forward to the next missions. This one already tops anything that came with the default game.

Yours!

Kyle

June 14, 2009

:D

Phew finished mission 5! What a blast that was!

I have updated my intel post with more images and requirements.

This is only mission 5, still got around 16 more missions to go.... if the standard keeps up like the first 5, this will be my favourite mod of all time I think.

Going back a few missions, can I ask, how did you achieve the effect of the crashed plane injured soldier recovering and standing up groaning, I don't recall seeing a GR animation of a prone character actually standing up like that, looking all groggy... or did I miss it?

Phew finished mission 5! What a blast that was!

I have updated my intel post with more images and requirements.

This is only mission 5, still got around 16 more missions to go.... if the standard keeps up like the first 5, this will be my favourite mod of all time I think.

Going back a few missions, can I ask, how did you achieve the effect of the crashed plane injured soldier recovering and standing up groaning, I don't recall seeing a GR animation of a prone character actually standing up like that, looking all groggy... or did I miss it?

I use the same bag of tricks for all my dynamic/ animated stuff:

Ghost Recon has small animations built into its game engine, an example of this is the spinning rotor on one of the IT maps, or the destroyable cars on the Embassy map.

These animated parts are very simple, but the opportunity is there to expand on this idea.

Each dynamic object can have a "death animation", usually these are just bits falling off etc but I used this for the injured soldier routine.

When the guy is lying on the ice, he is not a soldier as you would imagine, but a part of the map (a dynamic object), in the script, this "dyn" object is destroyed when you approach him, then the death animation kicks in, in this case, the standing up/ shaking his head etc, at the point where he aims his gun, he is swapped out for a real soldier (he is hidden & Mig unhides the real guy in exactly the same place)

Unlike the actors in the game who's bodies are flexible, dynamic objects are not, so I made the soldier for the death animation like a GI Joe, each body part is a seperate object and these are all animated by hand.

The same technique is used for the Heli routine/ the Jet attack/ the demo disarm. Each of these are death animations that are triggered in the script.

This is done so that the scripter can control the timing of the event.

Items such as the Wolves are animated to continually follow a path, their death animation is their actual death. But each body part is just like GI Joe and animated by hand. They are all part of the map and cannot be placed anywhere else.

Vehicles can also carry a death animation and these were used for items such as the cases that open etc (these are vehicles pretending to be simple objects so that they can be placed into stock maps in the normal way).

Going back to animations for the regular actors in the game: many people have tried to get new character animations to work, but I'm not aware of any successes. I cheated, to get the soldier to look injured after he is swapped and is under the control of the scripter.

The body "mesh" of the actors has an invisible set of "bones" which are animated by the game engine. I detached the injured guys broken arm from these bones so that his arm does not move

Hope this helped you more than it confused you :D

OOOK,

Rocky I love random stuff..there can be anywhere from 1-3 SADMs on that p205 map when you play it... ;) Some missions I just got lazy and gave you a fixed number to find each time you play it..others it is more random and the same goes for intel items...on p205 there was even a senario scripted for no SADMs on site... but for now that is assigned to a group called HOLDTHESEBLOCKS that never gets activated...as a rule.

Kyle'..man I had a long winded explanation going for ya and lost it when I tried to link ya to this post regarding Russian Hero chrs and availabilty of Russian firearms

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=535582

tanks are dumb AI and will rip their own up if they enter the field of fire while the tank is aware you are in its "range"...this goes for killing targets assigned to them too..I learned this scripting Yard Dogs for Africa Burning..this scenario is a reminder to those familiar with that mission who they are dealing with here...it seems some are having a whey of a time in there as I did and others are getting out smoothly..much depends on the UN guys to the south and well they engage the opfor and the tanks out front for ya..

there is no basement and the RSE map could not be modded that way...that is a great idea though..

We did not code the rounds there...it is probably a function of the weapon stats though and the walls themselves?

Of corse some damage can be edited for a weapon...might take note that large bore rifles in the mod may have damage through walls, the xm109 having the most..I was killing some guys the other night who were hiding behind sandbag walls, drums, and wooden walls of the house on m03_rrbridge map..the map for [GR] Stone Bell mission..certainly any rifle with a projectile assigned(.50 cal, 14.5mm, 20mm, and best 25mm) can have "penetration" in that way anyway...

I have always been bugged by the realization that the lead tank could just blow the house to hell and be done there but I doubt his command would be pleased at all since the logger is the prize they seek..you are up there investigating the logger and discussing how to protect it when caught by surprise..I struggled mightily with where to insert you and even tested a diff one outside the house for coop play...ask wombat50..the Night Hawks preferred the second floor insert to it though..

tracers could be removed I guess, but that would have to be way down the road at this point..have a look at the equip folder :)

thanks guys

Very interesting, to the end user, you'd never ever guess that he was part of the map then seamlessly swapped out for the model, very impressive!

Hats off to you, all that work was definitely worth it, it took things to a new level for me.

Very interesting, to the end user, you'd never ever guess that he was part of the map then seamlessly swapped out for the model, very impressive!

Hats off to you, all that work was definitely worth it, it took things to a new level for me.

Ditto for me Phlookian.

We were just talking about how you did the animations for the wounded crewman today.

So it's a nice coincidence to see you post about it.

yea that is a great ani Phlookian...yet another "never saw that before..." and he was seamlessly teleported in and switched out... :ph34r: can't just hide him with all these dedi boyz n girlz 'round... :no:

Phlookian,

I've always been amazed by the tricks and illusions that are used in game design. The technique that you described for getting the wounded pilot to carry out what he did is pretty amazing. I've contributed to mods in the past, but more often than not, it's been in regards to contributing concept designs, drawings of new types of spacecraft or alien races, for example. I've done some .ini work, and all of it was mind numbingly tedious. I have a ton of respect for you guys, and I always appreciate someone who can take all of the technical jargon and boil it down into plain speech for everybody else to understand.

migryder,

Somehow I forgot all about the reason WHY we're up in that building, and "Yes," that's an excellent reason for why the Russians wouldn't want to blow us all to pieces. Smart writing on your part.

I didn't realize that the tanks were so "brain dead" AI wise. But man, if you could code one up to react like a real tank would, that would be a fearsome opponent. I'd be happy if you "faked" it, such as having to ambush a column of tanks, and once the rockets start flying, the tanks would be popping smoke and zigzagging like crazy. But the path they took and where they end up settling at would be a randomized selection of 5-7 different spots, some choices better than others.

If you ever played Combat Mission Shock Force then you'd know what a heart thumping experience it is to have contend with tank AI that's truly designed to deal with an open environment. Scary stuff, but I have no doubts that if anyone could pull it off from a first person perspective, it's you guys.

And thanks for reminding me about all of the Russian specialists. I'd forgotten about them, but not to sound demanding, but I want my regular Ghosts to be able to use stuff like that too. :D

Keep up the good work guys, in half an hour I'm on my way to Mission 2.

Yours!

WARNING: AT THIS TIME DO NOT TRY TO LOAD AN MP GAME TYPE OF DESERT OR JUNGLE STOCK MAPS!

Dummy here only copied the MP Actor folder from Ghost Recon into the P2 Actor folder, not from mp2...also there is no pic in the set up screen for the P2 Black Wolf MP map...but that should work in MP gtfs..

a quick fix is to replace the MP Actor folder in P2 with the one from GR\MODS\mp2

Just had a close read of the briefing for p205..it states there are two TOR M-1s on site...THERE ARE THREE..plus the tank...SO YOU WILL NEED FOUR AT ROCKETS MINIMUM, NOT THE THREE STATED IN THE BRIEFING...sorry..I also noted a weird line projecting out of the briefing box across part of the splash screen there..at the bottom of the briefing text...

so many little things get away..

ITEMS OF INTEREST

SADM - Special Atomic Demolition Munitions, aka Backpack or Suitcase Nukes...very low yield In both Rusiia and the US controlled by SPECOPS...supposedly dismantled in both countries..

info from Military.com

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190..._072204,00.html

how it looks in mod..this is actually a US SADM..

RA155.jpg

SA-18 GROUSE, aka MANPADS acronym for Man Portable Air Defense System = a shoulder fired rocket..

GROUSE.jpg

Chameleon, 1.3 meter dish "flyaway" antenna - these portable type anrennae are used to broadcast at television quality levels usually by news orgs and such..this one is produced in Russia by Elogar...if you see one probably best not to destroy it, but read your briefings and know...

CHAMELEON.jpg

important docs? don't confuse these with papers that are map eye candy objects...these could be part of an intel objective..check em out...

papers.jpg

more to come...

.I also noted a weird line projecting out of the briefing box across part of the splash screen there..at the bottom of the briefing text...

so many little things get away..

I did notice that too, but considering the amazing mission, it would have been petty to mention it, I am sure everyone else that noticed it felt the same way.

I'm in the midst of Mission 2, and oh my! The wildlife adds a TON of atmosphere to it! Nice touch! I'm almost expecting to see that wolf pick its leg up and mark its territory.

migryder, you mentioned earlier that only the heavier fierearms, the .50 cal on up, have penetrating capabilities. Now, that got me to thinkin' (and this feat, dear folks, is a dangerous thing), is there a way to reassign the penetration capabilities to the 5.56s and 7.62s? Obviously, the 7.62s should be able to bite in more deeply than the 5.56s. Just hoping and wondering!

More Suggestions

(1) I've noticed that the non-alert AI like to do two things when it comes to their fallen comrades:

(A) If their buddy is slightly behind them when they're killed, they just keep on cooly walking. For some reason, they can't hear their buddy's 200+ body adorned with all kinds of noisy things falling to the ground like a sack of potatoes with pots and pans attached to it. Hmm...strange that.

(B) If they see a corpse in front of them, they're like, "What funny looking snow! It's kinda shaped like a body with red stains all over and around it... Stupid snow! I almost tripped on it!"

In both cases, is there any way to heighten the AIs behavior so that they're actually reacting to something that should be alarming and alerting them?

(2) Any way to assign more noises to the player's avatar's and all combatants' body movements? I know that they're supposed to be all sneaky and ninja-stuffy, but they are carrying a ton of gear that makes noise when it's jostled. The level of silence surrounding the body movements of these guys is more than a little weird to me, especially having played Operation Flashpoint with a number of mods that made all soldiers' body noise movements believable. It'd be nice such features were folded into GR.

Thanks again for the hard work. Terrific stuff all.

Now, time for dinner and to catch my nephew's baseball game.

Yours!

:)

Edited by Kyle_K_ski

its a bit of a toss up with the AI settings, if you place em on locked to combat, they will run in their plans and look really stupid...if you place on alert they sometimes do well other times they still can act dumb..in all my testing of scripted scenarios though I think they usually react to things pretty well, sometimes there can be a slight delay..they do react to louder weapons.fire an mm1 and watch em come a running...when you simply assign a patrol or path the AI is defaulted to bored..so for me as a scripter it comes down to how big a reaction I want out of nearby teams...in this mod I have used large patrol areas consisting of multiple zones and several teams in a platoon..so they may or may not all react to an event if part of that...defend zones are alert AI they are in cover mode..may even go prone to move about that zone..defend zones cannot be more than one in a plan though..or at least I have not been able to get that to work yet...I like to use path plans that have multiple cover points in them and one or two guys only..really should be only one...those guys are in alert AI mode because of the cover points..I assign different times the cover points...and different stances...path\stance crouch\cover(30 sec)stance prone...path\upright\cover(20 sec)\stance crouched\repeat as a loop of sorts...maps like m14-mountain are great for this...roof tops, stair wells, that sort of thing...you can get a guy close to an edge or collision wall without having him end up running in place so easy as you can get with a zone type plan...it still can and sometimes does happen though..

adding those noises you mention sounds like serious programming to me - and I'm no programmer..

EDIT - on second thought someone might be able to mix a sound with the regular bush sounds for instance that makes that seem like it causes rattling...

regarding penetration..its not really penetration with big bore rifles..its the amount of damage through walls you can get with the projectile when it hits the wall though..you would not want to assign a projectile to a an assault rifle or smg for instance..way too much going on there..you'll see a bit of what I mean if you wake up the BMP on December map...it has a 30mm(?) gun that fires rapidly and it also fires rockets at the same time...

VEHICLES CONT

HEAVY ARMOR - THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES ALL REQUIRE AT ROCKETS...

Air Defense Systems - There are AA sytems in most missions to explain why you don't simply call in an air strike! Between the Tunguska, TOR, and SU300 PMUs that are reffered to but never shown even cruise missiles are at risk..

This Russian language vid includes the ZSU-23-4 SHILKA The 2s6 Tunguska, and the TOR M-1

ZSU-23-4 SHILKA quad guns will fire on you...

shilka.jpg

2s6 TUNGUSKA, this will fire on you too...

video - http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8w3v1

TUNGUSKA.jpg

TOR M-1 9K331 No threat to you..this system is reputed to be capable of aquiring and engaging multiple targets in 3-4 seconds if static and 5-6 seconds if mobile but radars working..

video -

static ready for engagement...

TORM1.jpg

mobile radar tucked....

MOBILETOR.jpg

S300 PMU referred to in some briefings but never seen...primary target is AWACS and other high level targets like cruise missiles..

video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEglfqbbI_0

more heavy armor to follow...

SPELLING ERROR

Mission 2, once one FINALLY figures out how to access the upper levels, when one exits the cave to the first setup of machinegun nests, there is a yellow statement that spells "bunker" as "buMker." I capitalized the "M" so that it stands out better.

GREAT mission. And I'm still not done with it! Holy Moley!

thanks for the heads up Kyle, noted and corrected on this end..will include in any future patch...I have to take full credit for that...I added that line of text after any outside proofing had been done...I just made two typos in that short bit of message above...

VEHICLES CONT

HEAVY ARMOR - All of the foillowing require AT rockets.

MAIN BATTLE TANKS(MTBs) There are four types the mod...T80ud, T72bm, T72b, T72.

T80ud.jpg

2s3 Akatsiya Self Propelled Howitzer (SPA) - You've seen this one in the original GR campaign, it has a new camo...

spa1.jpg

Command Car - This is actually a BDRM but it is tagged as a tank and would require AT to destroy it, you are not asked to do so in the mod..you are required to secure it in at least two missions..

commandcar.jpg