CPU-Scaling of GRAW2

hi guys,

at the moment im using a amd 3700+ singlecore-cpu. as you can see in my signature i own a x1800xt512 and 2gb of ram. generally im not completely satisfied with the performance of my system while playing graw2.

thing is, i dont want to upgrade my whole system. only the cpu because i think that thats the bottleneck of the system. i recall that i heard, that graw2 scales with the cpu-speed more than other games. true?

the fastest 939-cpu i can stick onto my msi k8 neo4-board is an opteron 180. i'd like to know if anybody has experiences in upgrading from single- to dual-core cpus and if the fps-increase is worth the money. maybe some of you upgraded from amd64-cpus to x2-cpus or opterons?

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance...

thx for your replys. i know, that i *should* see a difference in performance.

like i said i want to upgrade from 3700+ with a real speed of 2200mhz to an opteron 180 with 2x2200mhz. i assume that the fps will not be doubled by this upgrade. but how big is the performance-increase? i.e. 180euros for only 5fps performance-gain would be not worth the effort and money imho....

Ok, I have a somewhat similar problem. I went from a AMD 4000+ 2.4 ghz to a AMD 4400+ X2 with 2.2 ghz. I overclocked it to 2.5ghz. Now my video card, a Leadtek 7600GT with 256 MB vidRam, has SLOWED down! When I do a stress test (from the "nTune") my FRAPS went from 60 to 31! I have tried everything I know to find out why my card dropped 50% in FRAPS butnothing seems to help.

I have Vista Home premium, the 4400+, 2GB (1Gig sticks) of Corsair Value RAM, clocked at 430, 250 GB WD 7200rpm HD and a Sound Blaster Audigy 24bit sound card.

Prior to installing the 4400+ X2, my video card was working great. GRAW and GRAW2 ran well. Now it is very choppy and slow. Any ideas?

BTW, I took the side window off my case, disconnected the fan from the side window and connected the Video card directly to the power source. Oh, and the power source is a 500W PS (not sure 0f the vendor). Might I need a higher wattage PS? :unsure:

I run a socket478 Pentium 4 3.4 Extreme Edition- with an AGP ATI X1950Pro--- I find that I cannot run the highest settings in game-- but I can still play well and enjoy it fine. I am considering upgrading in the next few months to a dual or quad core system-- we'll wait and see how the prices fluctuate with the Penryn and Barcelona releases coming soon..

Asus P4P800e-deluxe

P4 EE 3.4 ( 3570 mhz )

2 GB Kingston HyperX DDR400

HIS X1950pro IceQ Turbo

320 GB Maxtor SATA

Ok, I have a somewhat similar problem. I went from a AMD 4000+ 2.4 ghz to a AMD 4400+ X2 with 2.2 ghz. I overclocked it to 2.5ghz. Now my video card, a Leadtek 7600GT with 256 MB vidRam, has SLOWED down! When I do a stress test (from the "nTune") my FRAPS went from 60 to 31! I have tried everything I know to find out why my card dropped 50% in FRAPS butnothing seems to help.

I have Vista Home premium, the 4400+, 2GB (1Gig sticks) of Corsair Value RAM, clocked at 430, 250 GB WD 7200rpm HD and a Sound Blaster Audigy 24bit sound card.

Prior to installing the 4400+ X2, my video card was working great. GRAW and GRAW2 ran well. Now it is very choppy and slow. Any ideas?

BTW, I took the side window off my case, disconnected the fan from the side window and connected the Video card directly to the power source. Oh, and the power source is a 500W PS (not sure 0f the vendor). Might I need a higher wattage PS? :unsure:

I would look at your running processes-- trim them down some using MSCONFIG- also check your drivers ( Graphics/Chipset/Bios etc--) make sure that those are up do date.

Also-- since you are overclocked-- put things back to stock-- see what happens.

A 7600 is not a "fast" card whatsoever-- it will be taxed trying to run GRAW2.

When I run my X1950Pro Fraps recording-- my fps goes from 40-50 to 18-20 or so.. I consider that normal myself.

Edited by DeathByMonkeys

Did you install the drivers for the x2??

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_13118,00.html

Did you install the drivers for the x2?? Checked to make sure and yes I have downloaded them. Did the "misconfig" thing and still really bad FRAPs!

I did some searching and I believe, after reading some of the forums for nVidia cards(especially the 7600 GT) that I need a new power supply.

Since I will be building a new system within the nest 3 months, I guess I can start with a new PSU...probably 650 to 800W and "SLI" cetified, since the new computer will be PCIe and AMD (hopefully with the new "Phenom" processor.

Thanks for the help.

Just received an e-mail from Leadtek. They tested the A7600GT with the 4400+ X2 and said they had no problem with the card. They even used a 500W PSU. Now, after looking at the PSU, I discovered it was a very "Cheap" 500W PSU!.

So, as I said above, time for a new PSU. :(

well heres my 0.02 cents, cpu wont REALLY make a difference BUT perhaps buy a better vid card, and maybe a new cpu for instance i played bf2 with a REEEEALLY old vid card and upgraded with a 7600 GT and there was a huge difference, so try that out

well heres my 0.02 cents, cpu wont REALLY make a difference BUT perhaps buy a better vid card, and maybe a new cpu for instance i played bf2 with a REEEEALLY old vid card and upgraded with a 7600 GT and there was a huge difference, so try that out

honestly, bf2 isnt that big hardware-killer anymore. i can play that w/o probs on my lappy. imo graw2 may should gain more in performance than some other shooters would, which rely more on powerful vid-cards. hence the original post....

lets wait for bioshock and maybe THATS the new killer-game concerning hardware like i.e. f.e.a.r before it....or even swat4. :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Found out it was the CPU...sot of...Actually, it is the motherboard. Not enouhg power to run the CPU and the video card. Went back to the "old" cpu after installing a new PSU and evrything works fine. Guess a 2 year old mobo doesn't do it for GRAW 2 and "newer" video cards. The mobo is a Gigabyte KN8-939 . The problem is it does not have the extra power connector for X2 CPUs. Am upgrading to a better board with PCI-e SLI slots, but still with the 939 socket, so I won't have to a "complete" rebuild.

Did you install the drivers for the x2?? Checked to make sure and yes I have downloaded them. Did the "misconfig" thing and still really bad FRAPs!

I did some searching and I believe, after reading some of the forums for nVidia cards(especially the 7600 GT) that I need a new power supply.

Since I will be building a new system within the nest 3 months, I guess I can start with a new PSU...probably 650 to 800W and "SLI" cetified, since the new computer will be PCIe and AMD (hopefully with the new "Phenom" processor.

Thanks for the help.